Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:23 PM

406 posts, read 787,789 times

Advertisements

[quote=StoneOne;10633460]Welcome to the land of the malcontents!

Who are you saying is a malcontent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 05:23 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
It's like thinking all the people that live in California are air-heads or "plastic"; all the people that live in NYC or NJ are like the Sopranos; or all the people in Florida are rude just to name some examples.
that actually is true about NJ, though. every person there does look like tony soprano, even the old ladies.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 PM

467 posts, read 713,059 times
This is true for anywhere, as most of us have said.... Some people will be nice, say hi, wave and do lots of nice gestures, but others just won't. It's a way of life.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:54 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Please tell me that you are kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
that actually is true about NJ, though. every person there does look like tony soprano, even the old ladies.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:14 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,425 times
[quote=wjsluvskaz;10636765]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Welcome to the land of the malcontents!

just read the posts on here where Yankee's crave for their favorite pizza, sub, or whatever that they left behind - or want to know where they can watch the Bruins, or Steelers or whatever. They just miss what they left behind up North and haven't really made the tranisiton which in a way is understandable sorry but just saying what I have read in postings on here and in my humble opinion that translate to 'malcontents'; time to move on and accept what's available locally down 'South' but still follow your 'old' teams but from an interest perspective rather than wearing it as a badge of where you come from

Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
The OP was asking if anyone has had similar expierences, I for one have. I never before have had people ignore a "hello or "how are you today" until I moved here.
I know. I was giving the OP something to realize, if he hadnt already

Old 09-06-2009, 10:00 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
This thread has got to be a joke, especially at 6 pages long. Seriously...southern hospitality? Is there some sort of expectation that southerners will act this way towards to newcomers? I'm a native and while generally friendly, this is a metropolitan area. I dont have TIME to say hello to every freaking person I cross paths with. I dont have time to wave you all in front of me at the mini-mart. I dont have the time or the inclination to sit on myfront porch and give 500 people a day directions to downtown. Buy a GPS.

If you want southern hospitality, move to a small town with less than 1000 people and be prepared to act and behave THE SAME WAY. Be prepared to stop your car on I-40 on Labor Day weekend to help a fellow traveller change a flat tire, give them a ride to the closest service station (60 miles outside of your way) and drive them home if not too far out of your way. Offer to buy their groceries for the week because they left their checkbook at home. PLEASE, feel free to bake a homemade berry pie, straight from your garden with a gallon of sweet tea and hand deliver it to every, single. new. neighbor who moves into your neighborhood!

REALLY!

Last edited by lamishra; 09-06-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 AM

331 posts, read 1,311,226 times
I lived in California all my life. When my car broke down, I would sit on the side of the road and watch car after car drive by with noone even slowing down to offer to make a call for me. Even the cops didnt stop! I have broken down twice since I moved to NC and I was shocked that both times, two or three people actually pulled over, got out of their car and checked to see if I was okay and did I need help or a ride. Everyone at work told that was Southern Hospitality. Whatever you want to call it, never happened to me in California and I lived there over 40 years!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
[quote=wjsluvskaz;10636765]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Welcome to the land of the malcontents!

It's a general description I use to describe those who relocate here from other places for any number of reasons at home - rudeness, crime, high taxes and living costs, etc - and then discover that NC has all of those things as well and that it isn't the panacea they thought it was. Malcontents then begin to complain about NC and all its faults (of which there are many, just like elsewhere) and why it isn't "more like home." Certainly not all transplants are like that, probably most aren't, but there seems to be this idea in a lot of places (again, parts of the northeast and South Florida) that North Carolina is a cure-all for whatever problems exist at home.

In a word, the malcontents are people who tend to blame their misery on society around them - the extreme "the grass is always greener on the other side" type. For quite some time North Carolina has been a fad for such people. It'll be interesting to see where the next place they go is. Kentucky?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 AM

133 posts, read 331,363 times
A slightly different take on this subject and it is an opinion that I've formed after living here for about 2 years now. I find that people here are very, very "local" and somewhat selfish....let me explain.

Overall, I find most people friendly and hospitable and this is a great place to live. I don't think I'd move back North right now for a lot of reasons. However, there is definately an attitude of selfishness that I never sensed up North.

1. In general, people are VERY put off having to drive more than a mile or so out of there way for ANYTHING. This area is very well planned compared to the North in terms of roads and housing and as a result, shopping, restaurants, etc are very convienient. As a result, people are very territorial in their thinking and closed minded in terms of exploring the area and meeting people outside of their neighborhood, workplace or through their kid's activities. (schools, soccer, etc). This creates "bubbles" for many people and while there may be a community feel within neighborhoods, I don't sense a lot of town or area-wide sense of community.

2. Heaven for bid someone has to wait in a line or sit in 5 minutes of traffic here...people lose it. Up North, people tend to deal with this better and get through these things "together"..almost wearing it as a badge of honor. Here, people look for a way "around the line"; not caring about the 10 people that have waited longer in front of them. Again...things are sooo convienient here that people can used to not waiting long for anything.

3. There are often times when the local media is too "local"...reinforcing my belief that many of us live in a bubble here. I'm sure there are other examples but two examples of this that I've noticed came during major, national stories that were being covered live by the major networks. The first was during one of the political conventions last year. When the convention was running late during one of the major speaches, the local affiliate cut away at 11:00pm to bring us the local news. Then, just last week as the NBC nightly news was covering the Kennedy funeral, away goes the coverage so we could hear about who the Wake County Teacher of the Year is as their lead story. Even today, Labor Day, there is NO local affiliate carrying the Jerry Lewis Telethon. (correct me if I'm wrong but I just flipped through the channels) Say what you want about Jerry Lewis but this is a national tradition on Labor Day. Up North, the local channel holds their own local telethon, has reporters gathered at towns around the area that are holding their own fund raisers, etc. A real, community/state wide community type feel that you only get in pockets here.

I could make more points but those 3 capture what I'm trying to explain. Up North, during a big storm or when some major tragedy happens, people tend to come together more...tend to really thrive and shine during these moments; sacrafice something to help others. Here, I find people stay in their bubbles...stay within their comfort zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary