Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:33 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where you can buy Preventic dog collars in the Raleigh area? My backyard has suddenly become tick central, and of course my vet is closed today because of the holiday weekend. There is no prescription required for the collar, but apparently the pet super stores don't carry them.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 12:48 PM

Well, I can answer my own question - I happened to drive by a vet that was open this morning, and bought the collars. The packaging says "For sale by licensed veterinarians only." A Petsmart with a Bansfield hospital might be the only sorta-retail option.

At least I got the collars and in 24 hours my dogs will be tick proof! Too bad they don't make a similar product for people!

edit: the collars were more than 2x the online price - normally I'd feel ripped off but I'd rather have had them today! Definitely will buy online from now on though!

Old 09-05-2009, 01:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
edit: the collars were more than 2x the online price - normally I'd feel ripped off but I'd rather have had them today! Definitely will buy online from now on though!
Some vets are very good about matching any online pricing for the products they sell. If your vet won't, you're getting ripped off, in my view.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Some vets are very good about matching any online pricing for the products they sell. If your vet won't, you're getting ripped off, in my view.
Well, it wasn't my regular vet - and I was just happy to find the collars today. I will admit to being a bit of a wimp when it comes to price match requests, but I should get over that.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:04 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
If you don't need the collars the same day, a good source for the collars is Amazon. They have various sellers offering them at various prices, and also have multi-packs. In June, I ordered six collars (I have two dogs) and paid a total of $45.89, including shipping. That works out to under $8 per collar.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
If you don't need the collars the same day, a good source for the collars is Amazon. They have various sellers offering them at various prices, and also have multi-packs. In June, I ordered six collars (I have two dogs) and paid a total of $45.89, including shipping. That works out to under $8 per collar.
Thanks, I likely will do that - I'm "slightly" addicted to Amazon already.

I'm not looking forward to working out in my backyard today. I think I'm up to 20 ticks found either on my dogs, crawling on the floor, or (ugh) on my arm. I think the collars are already working though because I found a dead one last night.

There has to be a tick "nest" or something in my yard for there to be so many. If I do see a lot I may have to get the backyard sprayed by a pest company. There's so much wildlife around my house I don't want to just spray pesticide everywhere - on the other hand, if there's a major tick infestation, I may have no option.

And I thought I "just" had a mosquito problem!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:43 AM

71 posts, read 309,602 times
you didnt treat your yard?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relocary View Post
you didnt treat your yard?
No, I only very rarely use any chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizer) around my house. I do admit to spraying Round-Up on some poison ivy though! I've lived here more than a year without seeing any ticks, so up until now it wasn't an issue.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:19 PM

169 posts, read 778,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
No, I only very rarely use any chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizer) around my house. I do admit to spraying Round-Up on some poison ivy though! I've lived here more than a year without seeing any ticks, so up until now it wasn't an issue.
The Preventic collar you bought has buku chemicals in it, right on your dog's skin relatively close to the heart and brain. I have always found that reputable vets advise against flea and tick collars in favor of other alternatives that are less contentrated in that area and chemical-ly. The ingredient Amitraz in Preventic is listed by California as a known carcinogen.

http://www.greenpaws.org/_docs/GP_productlist.pdf

Old 09-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightmidnight View Post
The Preventic collar you bought has buku chemicals in it, right on your dog's skin relatively close to the heart and brain. I have always found that reputable vets advise against flea and tick collars in favor of other alternatives that are less contentrated in that area and chemical-ly. The ingredient Amitraz in Preventic is listed by California as a known carcinogen.

http://www.greenpaws.org/_docs/GP_productlist.pdf
I guess you just have to "pick your poison" then. I have greyhounds, a breed which is very senstive to chemicals and can die from a flea collar, or the wrong type of anethesia. Even so, the Preventic collars are safe to use on them. Hopefully this will not be a long-term issue.. as I mentioned above, this is a very recent problem. If anyone knows of something that kills only ticks and nothing else, and doesn't harm animals, birds, fish, etc. I'll more than gladly get it sprayed all over my yard!

Oh and yes, Amitraz is dangerous to humans, which is why I was careful to follow the recommended precautions including putting the collars on while wearing rubber gloves.

Anyhow, this is getting a bit off-topic for this forum - if I do wind up calling a company to treat my yard, I'll post back with the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary