Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Using the old "a house should be 2.5x your income" guideline (which is proablaby very conservative by today's standards), it would take a $400,000 income to afford a million dollar house.
...that's assuming that the mortgage was a high percentage of that million dollar price tag. I am guessing that many of these homes are being bought by "move-up buyers" who have a significant down payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...that's assuming that the mortgage was a high percentage of that million dollar price tag. I am guessing that many of these homes are being bought by "move-up buyers" who have a significant down payment.
Probably so, but the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't take a million dollar income to afford a million dollar house.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Why must you have a lot of acreage. It just spreads everything out...requiring you to drive everywhere

Old 09-07-2009, 03:10 PM

1,967 posts, read 953,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Why must you have a lot of acreage. It just spreads everything out...requiring you to drive everywhere

For me it would mean more privacy. Less noisy neighbors and their screaming kids. And yes, ironically, I do live in a townhouse community.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
You cannot know the income of folks by the house they live in or the car they drive. Some wealthy folks want smaller homes and less status for security reasons and don't want to advertise their wealth. As to how folks can afford million dollar homes? Family members bought a million dollar home by
1) vowing at the time of their marriage never to have debt other than mortgage
2) keeping cars until they die and never buying new cars
3) saving as much as they can, not using credit cards unless emergency
4) not trying to keep up with the Jones
5) taking few vacations and saving for the ones they do take instead of putting the expenses on credit cards
6) not eating out as often as the average family
7)not spending their money on liquor or cigarettes
8)foregoing all the latest toys and gadgets and teaching their kids not to think they have to have it all too
9) finding their entertainment in hobbies, free or very affordable venues
Some of us would think this way of life would not be fun but they seem to be happy and well adjusted.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I totally agree with your first sentence.

However, I think most people who live frugally (as indicated in your list) are also those who are probably less likely to live in million-dollar homes -- even if they have more than enough bucks in the bank.

I admire people who have money and spend it. I know of people who have it and live like paupers. They don't even donate it to good causes. Makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You cannot know the income of folks by the house they live in or the car they drive. Some wealthy folks want smaller homes and less status for security reasons and don't want to advertise their wealth. As to how folks can afford million dollar homes? Family members bought a million dollar home by
1) vowing at the time of their marriage never to have debt other than mortgage
2) keeping cars until they die and never buying new cars
3) saving as much as they can, not using credit cards unless emergency
4) not trying to keep up with the Jones
5) taking few vacations and saving for the ones they do take instead of putting the expenses on credit cards
6) not eating out as often as the average family
7)not spending their money on liquor or cigarettes
8)foregoing all the latest toys and gadgets and teaching their kids not to think they have to have it all too
9) finding their entertainment in hobbies, free or very affordable venues
Some of us would think this way of life would not be fun but they seem to be happy and well adjusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary