Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:56 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbb34 View Post
However, as mentioned above I also love Krispy Kreme doughnuts and wish there was a cary location instead of going to downtown raleigh if I want a "hot now" fix!

If I want a "hot now" KK donut, its will take me about an hour to drive there and back - that just isn't gonna happen. However, there are three DDs within a ten minute drive of where I live now, they are on my way to work, and more are opening, so for hot donuts, there's only one place to go.

I believe KK gives franchisers the whole city they are in as territory while DD has much smaller territories of miles, which is why we see so many DDs and only one KK store in all of Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Knightdale, Apex, etc...

With the number of new DD stores opening up, there's obviously pent up donut demand that's not being met by KK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 PM

467 posts, read 713,206 times
whatever, you can go to any grocery store or donut place to get coffee and a donut, i'm sure you have a grocery store. Krispy Kremes are superior to any donut, and I liked em more when I live in NY than a Dunkin Donut, but Dunkin Donuts were the major chain so everyone got munchkins from there. I loved the glazed chocolate. My favorite donut from Dunkin is the Strawberry Frosting with Sprinkles, while I wouldn't mind an Original Krispy Kreme Donut, which I prefer. They have another Donut Company in cary I believe, i think it was like Moonlight Donuts or something? I forgot the name, but they have donuts much like those from DD.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 AM

553 posts, read 1,272,344 times
What we really need is Tim Horton's!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:15 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
There's a DD/Baskin Robbins in Fuquay next to Chick-Fila on 401 aka N Main St. There's also one down 401 aka Fayetteville St in Raleigh/Garner (I call it Garner but i think it's actually Raleigh) by Palm Beach Homes in the area of Walmart and such.

My fave Donut from Dunkin' Donuts is Boston Kreme! YUM! I too looked for DD when I relocated here 7 years ago - and was bummed the closest one was in Raleigh/Garner. I am thankful they have one here in Fuquay (with a Starbucks up the street) - although now that I lost my 75 pounds, I don't frequent it as much as I would have LOL

Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
whatever, you can go to any grocery store or donut place to get coffee and a donut, i'm sure you have a grocery store.
Can you go to any grocery store? I thought only Harris Teeter had KK donuts. I guess you can go to a local Harris Teeter, walk to the back corner where the KK donuts are, and then go to the coffee isle, and buy all the coffee stuff, but last time I checked, unless there is a Starbucks in the HT or you raid the employee break room, you can't get hot coffee at a HT.

DD on the other hand offers customers the ability to walk in, take a few steps to get to the counter, and walk out in a couple minutes with a donut and hot coffee.

KK may have better donuts, but if you can't conveniently get them, what's the point? I don't agree with the KK franchise model fwiw - if it was similar to DD's we'd have KKs all over the Raleigh area instead of one store in a 60 mile radius, and we'd be able to easily get KK donuts and hot coffee on our commute for example. The bottom line is that the KK franchise is overlooking a valuable revenue channel by not having mor retail locations, and it will lose market share to DD because of it regardless which donut is better.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times
OP, you do realize that North Carolina is the home of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, right? I love my KK doughnuts! But that said, I am really steamed about the lack of availability of KK stores in the triangle area! The only two are in Raleigh and Knightdale. Why are there KK stores in small towns like Knightdale, Fayetteville, High Point, and Rocky Mount but none Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill/Carborro? Makes no sense! And yes I know there are available at gorcery and other stores but it is just not the same as getting them "Hot Now" at a store.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:01 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
IMHO, dunkins is better for certain things and kk is better for others.
neither is superior, IMO. now see, if they could combine...oooh boy.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM

86 posts, read 207,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I honestly don't get the popularity of Dunkin Doughnuts - Krispy Kreme makes a FAR suprerior doughnut. I have tried and tried to like DD, but those cake-like things choke me. A KK doughnut will literally melt in your mouth - YUM.
I actually agree that KK has better donuts than DD. It is the coffee that I love at DD.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:51 PM

86 posts, read 207,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I think it really depends on where you are from, what you ate growing up etc....I am from RI....where there is a Dunkin Donut every 200 ft (I kid you not). A Krispy Kreme opened very close to where I used to live. At first, there were long lines, I think due to the hype and novelty. It took about 2-3 years but Krispy Kreme bit the dust. Closed. Just couldn't compete with DD in RI.
The same thing happened in MA.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM

11 posts, read 31,377 times
has anyone looked at kkd's financials lately. not even close to profitable. Close to filing bankrupcy not too long ago and have been closing more stores than opening new ones.

dd is privately held but if new store openings are any indication of success, they must be doing pretty well.

Also, DD has way better coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary