Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 PM

3,666 posts, read 6,547,946 times

Advertisements

I was shocked and disappointed beyond words to discover yesterday morning that none of the local network affiliates were broadcasting the Ground Zero ceremony. I searched all through the listings and couldn't find it anywhere and were it not for online feeds would have missed listening to the reading of the names for the first time since September 11, 2002.

How can we teach our children that we should never forget this national tragedy when the media outlets can do so simply because it's not profitable enough?

To further exacerbate my disappointment I discovered that all the major networks were in fact broadcasting the ceremony back in the New York market. How can this be acceptable to anyone who lives in this great country of ours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 11:00 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,622,595 times
I also wondered if there was any type of wreath laying or ceremony. Why was it not covered?

Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,046,510 times
It was mentioned on the national news, and anyone who wanted to could get it online.

September 11 affected every one of us; a memorial ceremony is more of a national story than a local one.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 09-13-2009 at 12:58 AM..

Old 09-13-2009, 12:09 AM

7,076 posts, read 4,678,408 times
There were tons of stories on cable news, especially the History channel. According to a google search I just did, it seems all of the victims' names from 911 were read each year. You can do a search. It was too time consuming to copy and paste here.

Why aren't the victims from our Military afforded the honor of having their names recited each and every year? Their service was voluntary. Very profound. They know that they may lose their lives at any moment.

The victims of 911 were sudden and unexpected victims. Tragic, yes.

But the Military deserves even greater honor and respect. Why aren't their names being recited each year? And why aren't they covered on the local news?

best,
toodie

Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,046,510 times
Default Military is covered

I believe the "Salute to the Troops" event is held every year in Raleigh in April:

“SALUTE TO OUR TROOPSâ€Âť PROJECT -

Parade, ceremonies, equipment display, flyovers. It's covered by the local news, too.

Usually there are Veterans Day and Memorial day events as well, and they are covered by the local news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
There were tons of stories on cable news, especially the History channel. According to a google search I just did, it seems all of the victims' names from 911 were read each year. You can do a search. It was too time consuming to copy and paste here.

Why aren't the victims from our Military afforded the honor of having their names recited each and every year? Their service was voluntary. Very profound. They know that they may lose their lives at any moment.

The victims of 911 were sudden and unexpected victims. Tragic, yes.

But the Military deserves even greater honor and respect. Why aren't their names being recited each year? And why aren't they covered on the local news?

best,
toodie

Old 09-13-2009, 01:19 AM

19 posts, read 55,454 times
Default My story of Sept. 11 th 2001

I was awakened at 10 am by my boss ( I am an Emergency room registered nurse ) and was told the news and that I needed to get to work as soon as possible. I hitched hiked it was 8 miles away, 5 different cars ( the traffic was horrible ) and I arrived at 11 am after walking the last 1 1/2 miles. I worked 60 hours from that Tuesday till Friday when I went home.
My wife, she is the brains of the family ( Business Woman ) , her office was on the 97 th floor of the south tower ( her company lost 86 people including her 27 year old secretary ) . She arrived at 9 am just after the first plane hit the other building the north tower. She said she knew it was going to be a long day so she went outside to get some fruit, on her way back into the building her building was hit , she was covered with jet fuel debris and blood which was not hers, she was never hurt physically, it still took 6 months for her to return to work. I thank God for that, she just retired in January.
My son, he went to take the first Firefighters test after Sept, 11 th, which was in February 02, he will be celebrating his 5 th year as a New York City Firefighter, he is 28 and I am so PROUD of him.
I am 58 years old ( and always a NYER )and I have had people in my family in the military and yes some have died for this Country. I think of them often especially on Memorial day, Veterans day and Pearl Harbor day, all of our military are celebrated.
The difference is they were fighting for their Country, the people killed on Sept. 11 th were mostly civilians just going about their lives as we do daily . I do not think our military will mind in the least if these people have a day of rememberance . Just to remember, not a national holiday, in every state in this country.
Finally we will be moving in a few months to your area, Clayton N.C., and I will be proud to call myself a North Carolinian.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:49 AM

838 posts, read 2,579,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I was shocked and disappointed beyond words to discover yesterday morning that none of the local network affiliates were broadcasting the Ground Zero ceremony. I searched all through the listings and couldn't find it anywhere and were it not for online feeds would have missed listening to the reading of the names for the first time since September 11, 2002.

How can we teach our children that we should never forget this national tragedy when the media outlets can do so simply because it's not profitable enough?

To further exacerbate my disappointment I discovered that all the major networks were in fact broadcasting the ceremony back in the New York market. How can this be acceptable to anyone who lives in this great country of ours?
The media? Oh, they had more important things to focus on, such as how much fun the other side is having DISRESPECTING our President .

I was living in New York when this all went down, and let me tell you, not only will I never forget it, I hope I never have to see anything like it again

Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,725,848 times
Seriously, you didn't see the 9/11 coverage? I don't really watch TV, so I can't speak to the networks, but it was the top story on the cable news sites while the ceremonies were taking place (with live video). It was hard to miss.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:18 AM

285 posts, read 491,011 times
I teach 4th grade. When I asked my students on Friday what they knew about September 11, most of them stared at me blankly. It struck me that those children where infants when the attacks occurred. They have no personal recollection of 9/11. To them, it will be more like Pearl Harbor - an important event in their country's history, rather than a shocking personal experience.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 AM

35 posts, read 245,872 times
We were shocked when our 10th grader told us that his school did NOTHING to remember 9/11/2001. Not even a moment of silence. It was just a regular day. He was 7 years old when it happened and still remembers the impact it had on all of us. Yes, we are from NY and were there when it happened, but this tragedy was a national tragedy and should never be forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary