Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM

15 posts, read 46,022 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
My husband and I are moving to the Raleigh area and looking for some family-friendly neighborhoods to check out. We're making a pit-stop in the area for a day before continuing on to visit family in Virginia, so we're not going to get a real estate agent until we're able to spend more than one day.

Like I said, we would like a family-friendly neighborhood. In my eyes, this would be a neighborhood where kids throw the football in the street more than they play Wii inside, there are side-walks, decent sized lots, schools are within a decent proximity, and trees! (coming from Florida, this is very important to us, we love shade!) Our budget would be up to $300,000 but we could stretch up to $325,000.

We really liked Durant Trace and Falls River was pretty nice too!

I'm going to show you a picture of the type of house we are NOT looking for:
http://photos-10.idxco.com/2004c8441...d2422701678670
See how the houses are practically on top of eachother? ...yeah not our style

The type of house we ARE looking for!:
http://www.real-estate-cary.com/Imag...rove-House.jpg
See the trees and yard? LOVE!

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-13-2009 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation -- please only post photos you have taken yourself. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,746 times
Oxxford Hunt in Cary comes to mind.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
I wouldn't even know where to start. There are SO many places in your price range to check out. I'd say: spend your day exploring the city to find those areas that interest you so that you have that information under your belt when you do find an agent.
For instance, "I'd really like to be near this park" or "I'd really like the area near that retail complex", etc.
I know that's not much help but it may be the best use of your one day. Just go and explore. Get a map and look for landmarks and choose one to begin. Have fun!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Oxxford Hunt in Cary comes to mind.
Yup, we definitely have shade trees - no sidewalks though!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
There really are a huge number of neighborhoods in your range, with some land. I think much of it depends on where you will work (so commute time) and the town you may love. You would have a long commute if you lived in, let's say, holly springs, and your job was in north raleigh/wake forest area.

there are neighborhoods with trees in apex, holly springs, north raleigh, wake forest, cary, durham, etc etc all in your price range.

So, if I were to visit for a day, I would pick a couple of towns in and around where I would be working, and drive around those, get out, walk around, etc.

Leigh

Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
How old are your kids? Where will you be working? These are my questions. We love our neighborhood and have awesome neighbors. But once we moved here and discovered Bond Park, we realized how fantastic it would've been to get a house situated there! Ouds kids are 7 and 9 and love to ride bikes, scooters, take walks, and hang out with friends. We love our cul-de-sacs and sidewalks, and I like to sit on the porch with a glass of iced tea and watch them play. Bond Park (in Cary) is huge, has everything from tennis to fishing to walking trails, and actually has houses that back directly up to it. Our house backs up to woods, with a greenway behind it, and Preston golf course behind that, so I LOVE the privacy, but a park? That would be awesome.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 AM

15 posts, read 46,022 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! My husband works from home and I'm not working at the time because of our kids' busy schedules. We would like to be close to a hospital though for when I go back to work because I'm an RN.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:05 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLucky View Post
a neighborhood where kids throw the football in the street more than they play Wii inside
Time travel? Or a neighborhood where no one can afford air conditioning or Wii?

Seriously, I hope there are neighborhoods like that. We spent a couple Saturdays looking at Triangle neighborhoods and saw one child. Maybe it was the heat.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:26 PM

18 posts, read 39,462 times
Definitely check out Shepherd's Vineyard in Apex! The kids in our section are constantly playing football and riding bikes around the neighborhood and on our greenway. And, trees? We got 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary