Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 08:07 AM

85 posts, read 321,834 times

Advertisements

Hi, wondering what's the scoop with indoor sprinkler systems in new construction in the Raleigh area? None of the builders/developments we've visited have this included.

Up here it is either state or town (I'm not sure) law for all new construction to have house-wide sprinkler systems set up. I've built my last 2 homes in 2 different towns and both have had the sprinkler systems - no extra charge or anything as it's the law.

It's just a nice protection to have to know that if something happens in one room of a house (heaven forbid) that the system will kick in and take care of it so it limits damage.

Is this just not done at all in the Raleigh area? Will some builders do it? Does anyone know about pricing?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
rfb

2,592 posts, read 6,322,092 times
I've never seen a sprinkler system in a private home in Raleigh. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done, though. If you custom build, then the builder will do anything you want, within reason. Exactly what something like this would cost, I haven't got a clue.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:57 AM

578 posts, read 3,073,935 times
I've read some pretty convincing articles on in-home sprinkler systems. Supposedly $3K or so to install, reduces your homeowners insurance, and more importantly protects against fire well. One article highlighted the water damage from firemen VS in-house sprinkler. It was a striking difference of like 15,000 gallons of water being pumped into your house VS 800 gallons or something like that. That was the key point they had - less water damage, thus less overall damage and easier cleanup.

Obviously you're paying for a feature that will hopefully never get used and as such I'd consider like any other insurance policy. You're gambling/betting against future tragedy with a fairly large amount of cash.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,632,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
I've read some pretty convincing articles on in-home sprinkler systems. Supposedly $3K or so to install, reduces your homeowners insurance, and more importantly protects against fire well. One article highlighted the water damage from firemen VS in-house sprinkler. It was a striking difference of like 15,000 gallons of water being pumped into your house VS 800 gallons or something like that. That was the key point they had - less water damage, thus less overall damage and easier cleanup.

Obviously you're paying for a feature that will hopefully never get used and as such I'd consider like any other insurance policy. You're gambling/betting against future tragedy with a fairly large amount of cash.
I can see it's use...but wow...burn some toast and there is going to be a fairly large amount of water damage when it goes off!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:05 AM

85 posts, read 321,834 times
Actually, they work pretty well. They are tied into the smoke detectors but don't just "go off" with burnt toast or anything else. You have to have the elements of a real fire (flames and heat that melt the covers of the sprayers) for it to go off.

For example, our fire alarm system throughout our house has gone off a couple of times because of a bug getting stuck in the smoke detector right on top of the sensor. Yup, a lady bug sitting on the sensor light and not moving. All the detectors go off and a very loud siren. But it's only happened twice in 4 years and I actually like the fact that I know it's there.

The other nice thing is that it contains the issue - if you did indeed have a fire, say, in the kitchen, then only the kitchen sprinkler goes off. It doesn't trip water to start coming out in the bedrooms or anything.

In the two neighborhoods I've lived in where the sprinklers were mandatory, there were a total of about 300 homes, and never in 8 years an incident of them going off for "no reason." It's definitely a good insurance policy.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 PM

578 posts, read 3,073,935 times
I'm personally all for the in-house sprinkler system. It makes total sense to me.

On the flip side I wouldn't *not* buy a house because it lacked one. Nor would I probably spend $3000 of my own money to install one unless my homeowners insurance was going to go down significantly so I had some hope of recouping the cost. Otherwise it's money down the tubes in my mind as you're paying up front for protection you'll likely never ever need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary