Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:52 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
This is the reason why they have very little crime. Low crime rates usually don't come from not caring what your city looks like and having little police presence. I certainly would not complain if I saw a cop every time I was out in any city.
Well it's not a complaint about their presence, but rather they seem to be constantly pulling people over for speeding. Not that speeding is great, but lets face it we've all done it at one time or another and it seems like all they do is just sit around and wait for someone to speed so they can pull them over and give them a ticket. In fact, I am paying dearly for the only speeding ticket I have ever gotten in my 16 years of driving (in Cary!) because I was "speeding in a school zone" (a school zone that had just changed from it's usual "pick up and drop off" hours to being all day long and I didn't know it since I don't live in Cary and go there only on occasion. Not only did I get a $125 ticket but my insurance rates will now be higher for the next 3 years)

Cary loves their red light cameras, too.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:33 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Well, another view....
I'd hardly call Cary a city...it's just a massive, sprawling suburb (or parasite, depending on your point of view) of Raleigh & Durham. It was once a nice small town but not anymore. Now it's more congested than most of NC's larger cities because of the overrapid growth. And since they're trying so darn hard to be "affluent", it's more expensive there than Raleigh or Durham. At least with Raleigh & Durham, you'd get more job options, better entertainment/dining options and other amenities that are actually worth the title of "city".

Old 07-17-2006, 05:50 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc
I agree!

When we first moved to Cary in 1998 Cary was relatively un-congested. It seems every year it gets more and more crowded. The population has doubled in just 8 short years and keeps growing every day. I find Apex to be a bit more laid back than Cary----Cary seems more "anal" about appearances, and I've noticed a huge problem with cops who seem to have nothing to do but set up speed traps. I have never driven in to Cary, ever, without seeing a cop They have very little crime, and at times it feels like you are being harassed! But I digress.....

The thing about Apex is that it is getting built up much like Cary was. The overflow is spilling in to Apex from Cary. We moved to Apex in 2001 and it still felt "small townish" then. Now there is a Target and a movie theater, retail establishments popping up everywhere, as well as subdivisions. It's starting to feel a like a "Cary, Part 2"

We are looking to relocate to the Charlotte/Union county area, mostly looking for housing with more land (that costs less) and to be closer to the mountains.

ETA people are about as friendly here as they are anywhere, considering that the majority of people who live here are relocated from other areas. As far as bugs, there isn't much a good exterminator couldn't take care of LOL except for the mosquitos which I hate! I swear I celebrate after the first frost when all the mosquitos die LOL. But in the summer they are horrible!
Indeed, many who live here have already deemed Apex the "New Cary". I moved to Apex less than a year and a half ago and have already noticed a drastic change from the small-town atmosphere to the more snooty suburban sprawl type area (not nearly to the degree that Cary is though). Holly Springs is now the "new Apex" lol

Old 07-17-2006, 06:42 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,877 times
Great. Let me know when Holly Springs is the "new Cary". I can't wait.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:58 PM

I don't think Holly Springs will become as snobby and overpriced as Cary..... and I can't understand why anyone would want it to be.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 14,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
This is the reason why they have very little crime. Low crime rates usually don't come from not caring what your city looks like and having little police presence. I certainly would not complain if I saw a cop every time I was out in any city.
Exactly!! The only people that are concerned about seeing a cop all the time, are the people that cause trouble, and have a reason to be on the lookout for cops. If you get the chance, check out the crime rate for Apex, about the same as Cary.

I do agree that Cary is getting a little congested, but that's going to come with expansion.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:17 PM

333 posts, read 1,201,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I don't think Holly Springs will become as snobby and overpriced as Cary..... and I can't understand why anyone would want it to be.

I drove through Holly Springs and there are multiple $350K-$450K communities being built. Built it and they will come (including snobs) If this area follows pattern of most other areas, and people CONSTANTLY want "NEW" housing since they are "above" living in a house 6 years old, than the growth will just expand outward from the core - once Cary is exhausted it will go to Apex, once Apex is developed, then onto Holly Spring , etc. It seems all these towns are developing and in different stages but the edges of Apex and Cary already overlap, and Holly Springs and Apex while farther apart, look to be day by day reaching towards each other.

For people who will be fine with a long commute so they can get their 3500 sq foot home, Holly Springs will get there and "change" just like any other area... as the money moves in.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:10 PM

Yeah, I would say Apex is already half way , if not more, to becoming Cary's twin. Fuquay will be the last town to "Carify" in Wake County, and Garner probably won't "Carify" As to whether carifcation will spread to other counties..... I don't know, maybe.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
As someone who has lived in North Raleigh/Cary area for over 25 years...I can tell you this: When I lived in Cary about 20 years ago...it was just the "bedroom" community to Raleigh. Everytime you wanted to go out for dinner, you drove to Raleigh. As Cary grew, it became its own little town. Now it has everything you need to live there, all the restaurants, and no need to go to Raleigh. Apex is just becoming the "bedroom" community to Cary. And once Apex grows, Holly Springs will be next. The more people that move to this area, the more they will spread out because there isn't that much more land available.

The area around Morrisville is also becoming the next bedroom community. The funny this is that I took clients to see Twin Lakes (the KB Homes/Martha Stewart neighborhood) and they tell everyone they are in Cary but they are truly in Morrisville. I asked the sales person why and she said because everyone wants to live in Cary and no one from out of town has ever heard of Morrisville!

Vicki

Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 PM

33 posts, read 47,702 times
Default That's false advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
As someone who has lived in North Raleigh/Cary area for over 25 years...I can tell you this: When I lived in Cary about 20 years ago...it was just the "bedroom" community to Raleigh. Everytime you wanted to go out for dinner, you drove to Raleigh. As Cary grew, it became its own little town. Now it has everything you need to live there, all the restaurants, and no need to go to Raleigh. Apex is just becoming the "bedroom" community to Cary. And once Apex grows, Holly Springs will be next. The more people that move to this area, the more they will spread out because there isn't that much more land available.

The area around Morrisville is also becoming the next bedroom community. The funny this is that I took clients to see Twin Lakes (the KB Homes/Martha Stewart neighborhood) and they tell everyone they are in Cary but they are truly in Morrisville. I asked the sales person why and she said because everyone wants to live in Cary and no one from out of town has ever heard of Morrisville!

Vicki
Hey Vicki,
I work in a new home community in N.J. and we would NEVER tell a prospect
that the homes are in a different area. Shame on them. Well I'm sure you know as an agent Disclose, Disclose to them so it won't come back to you.
KB sales people would be to blame. That can come back and bite them soooo bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary