Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:17 PM

43,288 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

I'm missing something. Yes, Cary is just goofy enough to get on the nerves from time to time.
But, where does one go to meet the "Snobs? "
I had a nice day in Cary, waved to the neighbor kids, came home to my sweetie, went to a Rotary benefit dinner at Kirk of Kildaire, came home and have the Canes on TV, enjoying the game.

Guess I gotta go on a "Snob Hunt."

Old 01-26-2007, 08:34 PM

251 posts, read 1,143,012 times
I lived in Cary decades ago when it centered around a simple downtown and had very few developments. It was really nice back then. Those were the days when developers were required to leave a lot of trees on the lots houses were built on. It was a point of pride for our area.

A realtor told me that later on lots of tract builders came in and developed the area very quickly. So a lot of homes you'll find in Cary were built by tractors. (Sorry for the corn.)

It got built out pretty quickly as a result and so now they're expanding it westward. Developers have scraped huge acreages clean of all plant and animal life and they're squeezing houses in like sardines in a can. Personally, I don't know how people can live like that, but from what I hear some people actually camp out overnight waiting to be first to grab some lot/house in a new development. Go figure.

Maybe people in those neighborhoods have displaced homeless raccoons ravaging through their trash cans at night like people do in Florida. Maybe people there will start seeing raccoons holding "I'm homeless, please feed me" signs at road intersections before long. And the drivers can roll down their windows and yell, "No way bud! You'll just go spend it on a drink!"

There's a catch phrase down here calling the place the People's Republic of Cary because the city government is really big on controlling the private affairs of citizens. I've heard there was some big snit when a homeowner wanted to display an American flag on a pole outside his house. If you ask me that's patriotic, but apparently some in the Cary government aren't all that much into showing love for America.

A friend of mine who is a hairdresser told me that her company had a problem building there and opening on time. The reason? The city didn't approve of the brown gutters on the building so they could not open for business until white gutters were put on.

To me, some rules make sense. And others don't.

One of my friends who lives in Cary wore flipflops in her backyard and was bitten by a copperhead. She still has leg troubles to this day from that. But copperheads are everywhere around here. You just have to wear big boots all summer long and keep your eyes wide open. Well, you can't blame the snakes. Afterall, a lot of their habitat has been paved over so they have to share a yard with someone.

Those are some of the negatives I know about.

A positive: Driving around Cary is visually enjoyable because the city controls how all the business signs look and a lot of roads are nicely landscaped. It's like Barbie land.

And it's convenient to RTP, downtown Raleigh, and the RBC.

I don't really hate Cary. I just don't quite understand why people camp out overnight to get a house there.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:41 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post

One of my friends who lives in Cary wore flipflops in her backyard and was bitten by a copperhead. She still has leg troubles to this day from that. But copperheads are everywhere around here. You just have to wear big boots all summer long and keep your eyes wide open. Well, you can't blame the snakes. Afterall, a lot of their habitat has been paved over so they have to share a yard with someone.....
Please tell me you are kidding about this. Was she walking in brush? Did she disturb a woodpile?
I am really scared of snakes.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:53 PM

NYer, I have to be honest with you.

Copperheads are poisonous and they are around here as you know.

We've been here ten years and have seen several in our yard. A tree guy came out to cut a pine down and saw my dh bending down to remove a 4" long snake on our pathway. (No, it was not 4 feet long! I said it was only four inches and my dh did have thick work gloves on.) Anyway, the tree guy shouted for my dh to leave the snake be as even the baby boogers can lay on some serious poison. I never doublechecked the truth of that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Another time we came home from the store and parked our car on the driveway rather than in the garage. My dh got out on the driver's side and let out the biggest yelp I've ever heard. He told everyone not to move.

It turns out a large copperhead was coiled up right there next to our car and we'd just barely missed running him over. The sweet thing was striking at my husband cause he's so cute and my husband became a snake abuser at that very moment and put the matter to rest.

We always park inside the garage now.

My dh was out jogging one day and saw one along the side of the road. He left that one alone.

But here's the good news: Stats show there aren't a lot of copperhead bites in NC and out of those there aren't many fatalities. This is what my dh tells me so I'll shut up.

In the meantime, I printed out good medical care information and have it in a special drawer so that if anyone in my family ever gets bitten, they'll know exactly what to do right away.

No flirty copperhead is going to get my man!

Old 01-26-2007, 08:58 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Y'all are just too funny!

People pick on Cary because the area, along with North Raleigh, tends to be more expensive. Why? Proximity to RTP is the first reason that the two areas became more desireable. And as we all know and I've said time after time...its all about SUPPLY AND DEMAND! Less supply of land, more demand for the land equals to more money for the land.

Ok...now lets remember that I have lived in Cary and now live in North Raleigh. If you look in the phone book...Cary is listed under "CRY". We all know this means Can't Afford Raleigh Yet!

Vicki

Old 01-26-2007, 09:00 PM

43,288 posts, read 77,115,925 times
"I've heard there was some big snit when a homeowner wanted to display an American flag on a pole outside his house. If you ask me that's patriotic, but apparently some in the Cary government aren't all that much into showing love for America. "

Not quite right...
The Town of Cary had no involvement in this neighborhood covenant fiasco. The covenants in the subdivision said, "No flags at the front door."
I work with Al. He put out the Flag after 9/11/01, and his HOA sent him a letter, threatening a $100/day fine if he kept it at the front door.
So-o-o...in a considered gesture.....he bought a larger flag.
The upshot was, after a ton of ridicule in the press, across the country, the neighborhood changed their rules and the American Flag is allowed.

Just one of the many benefits of paying our neighbors to tell us how to live...

Old 01-26-2007, 09:04 PM

CRY!!!

LOL!! That's a good one, Vicki.

Well, all I know is that more and more people are clamoring for smaller and smaller pieces of property and spending more and more.

NYer, I just thought about my post. I sure don't mean to make it sound like snakes are a big problem here. I've seen much larger 8 footers down in Florida.

Sorry. I am so bad tonight! I'm going to make myself have snake nightmares when I go to sleep if I keep this up!

Seriously, just don't go outside and everything will be fine. That's what I do.

(Okay, I'm outta here! Enough snakey jokes for one night.)

NYer, I love your posts and feel you're a kindred spirit or I wouldn't be this crazy with ya!

Old 01-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
So-o-o...in a considered gesture.....he bought a larger flag.
Mike, tell Al I said he's a great American!

I love it when people do what's right. Good for him!! YES! Chalk one up for patriotism!

Thanks for filling in the details on that.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:11 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just one of the many benefits of paying our neighbors to tell us how to live...
I have been lucky never to live in a community with an HOA, and saints willing, I never will! I love the fact that the "neighborhood association" in the older neighborhood where I live is an active but non-compulsory organization (with membership pledge drives and everything) and not something that has CC&Rs I would have had to buy into.

Then again, I don't understand the obsession with living in nice megadeveloper-built subdivisions, anyway. (Well, I *understand* it, but I guess I just don't buy into it.

Regarding Cary... I would agree that it's not my thing, for many of the reasons mentioned, but it doesn't mean that Cary's not right for what some folks are looking for. Just depends on your interests and priorities.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:21 AM

134 posts, read 549,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Maybe

But holdenoversoul has a point. Why are all Notherners snobbish dorks? Why can't they be friendly, respectful, and non-judgmental like us Southerners? Stupid Northerners...they're all jerks....
Why I ought ta.....

You crack me up neighbor!

Sheesh I guess some people didnt take too kindly to my comment about us all being Americans. I have a minus 1 reputation. Thanks guys! good grief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary