Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM

15 posts, read 76,818 times

Advertisements

That sonic bird house idea sounds good too! I'm thankful I don't have any close neighbors with barking dogs, but if I did, I'd try that.

I do have a neighbor tho that thinks its OK to throw a tennis ball across his back yard and mine for his giant big lab dog to fetch however... I've been grinning and bearing it for good neighborly relations but the other day thus mentioned dog was laying down under my shrubs under my front windows. That is NOT cool. Oh and my husband ran over the tennis ball with the lawn mower the other day. That was fun. (He didn't see it and hit it, it wasn't on purpose.) But I thought- well geeze that could have ruined our mower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortel View Post
Dogs bark.... Deal with it!
Yes, dogs bark...but any RESPONSIBLE pet owner would not allow their dog to bark for hours on end, disturbing the neighborhood peace.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 30,137 times
If you are part of an HOA maybe give them a call. We have someone who parks their car in the street in our neighborhood and it's right at the entrance and annoys everyone. I called the HOA one day about it and from that day on the car is in their drive way.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I actually did not file a complaint today. I have a suspicion that they *might* have gotten a bark collar. I can't tell yet 100% for sure. Their dog was still barking several times today, and during the time it usually barks, but it seemed like it barked for MUCH less time than it usually does. It's usually at least 1/2 hour each time the dog gets going and probably 10-12 times a day. I still noticed it multiple times, but instead of 30 minutes, it seemed like less than 10? So I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt for a week or so and see if it really does taper off, which I am truly hoping for.
Thanks for your advice and I'll let yall know if it does or doesn't work out!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times
Lamishra, I HAVE dealt with this issue with Cary Animal Control. What I didn't know prior to filing a complaint was that some of the other neighbors had also complained (to the neighbor)as well. All of us had spoken with her. The owner is oblivious and ignorant and didn't give a second thought to the fact that her dogs might be bothering others. But, after receiving multiple warnings and citations and fines, she got the message. The dog still barked abnoxiously, but she stopped letting it out at 6AM and late and out. During other times, she came out and hauled them in when the barking was exceeding the threshold of being cited (15 minutes, I think). The fine is trivial, like $20 or something, but, when the owner does not fix the problem, you just call and complain again. Eventually, they may declare the dog a nuisance.

The laws favor the dogs and their owners (e.g., you have to literally get MAULED before they will declare a dog dangerous), but constant pressure by Animal Control is the only chance you have to send the owner the message.

GO ON RECORD with Animal Control. They advocate that neighbors don't keep quiet, but alert them so they can start documenting and keeping a log of incidents. They asked meL "why didn't you report this before?" And my reply was that I was just trying to be nice. I was nice way too long.

They rarely answer the phone because they are out on the road, so you will probably have to leave a message. But they will respond. I would encourage you to give your name.

You shouldn't need to tolerate this. And the advice you received about you being more friendly and approachable to the neighbor and the dog is utterly ridiculous. The dog's owner is responsible for its behavior. It's not your fault and you shouldn't feel guilty for calling AC. I acknowledge it is awkward, but enough is enough.

Also, the ultrasonic bird house did not work in my case and I'm sure it won't for a persistent barker in another yard. Even when it works for a dog in its direct vicinity, the dog will become desensitized to it. That was $60 down the drain, a total waste.

Good luck.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,586 times
tried this approach recently.. Was accused of "secretly recording" and "peeping" on the neighbors. These devices have no mechanism for peeping or recording in any form or fashion. Needless to say that interaction with the neighbor was not pleasant. We cant even use our backyard without those two dogs aggressively charging their fence and barking/snarling at us.

I am at a loss over what to do at this point.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:26 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,382 times
Annoying Animal Sounds - Town of Cary

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary