Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:01 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times

Advertisements

So my wife has somehow convinced her mother to fly here from Dallas to babysit our 2 children for the weekend. This will be the first time since we've moved here 3 years ago that we've had a chance to get away.

We're looking for romantic getaway ideas, but since I've been unemployed for 11 months, it needs to be on a budget (lodging under $150/night).

We'd like to stay in a B&B, or a small inn, or a nice cabin. . . . . we like to hike and that's what we plan to do all day (wife is a bit out of shape, but I've been pushing a stroller around, so I'm OK).

Since we will only have the weekend, I'd like to keep the drive to under 3 hours. We prefer mountains to the beach (just went to the beach last weekend).

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 06:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Here's a nice place SW of Asheville - an old time mountain inn without phones, alarm clocks or televisions. I've stayed their a couple of times, and it's a wonderful escape. On the high end of your budget though.

Balsam Mountain Inn - Welcome Page - Balsam, North Carolina

Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Here's a nice place SW of Asheville - an old time mountain inn without phones, alarm clocks or televisions. I've stayed their a couple of times, and it's a wonderful escape. On the high end of your budget though.

Balsam Mountain Inn - Welcome Page - Balsam, North Carolina
Looks like a nice place. The regular rooms are in our budget, but I'm concerned with the drive. Looks like 5 hours from our house south of Raleigh. We're looking for something within 3 hours as we only have 2 days total.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,441 times
Head to Damascus, Virginia and ride the Virginia Creeper Trail. Very easy ride, downhill over beautiful terrain in a great town. Lots of B&B's nearby. Also the BArter Theater in nearby Abingdon. Also, riding downhill is a great outside activity, but won't exhaust you so you will still have energy for romance!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
You could go to Mt. Airy and Pilot Mountain and see the real Mayberry.

Mount Airy Bed and Breakfast Hotels, Mount Airy, North Carolina Inns - Bed and Breakfasts Online

Old 09-16-2009, 02:30 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
You'll drive right by Pilot Mountain on the way to Damascus so you could do both. The Creeper Trail is fun and certainly easy, just watch the weather as a rainy day is not as much fun although that could lead to early romance ... ....

Frank

Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 AM

Another good option is the Charlottesville, VA area - about 4 hours. One nice place there is the Silver Thatch Inn B&B.

Last edited by CHTransplant; 09-16-2009 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 AM

Closer to home a very nice B&B is Laurel Ridge in Siler City.

North Carolina Bed and Breakfast, Bed and Breakfast Raleigh NC, Siler City Hotel

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
I would stay in downtown Blowing Rock. Check out the Hemlock Inn. You can actually go on a very nice hike with multiple waterfalls from right downtown. It takes me 2.5-3 hours from RTP when I leave at 4pm to get there. Easy drive I-40 to 421 into Boone, then on around to BR. Blue Ridge Parkway goes right by there and the wonderful Tanawha Trail is in that section (I especially like the section starting at the Viaduct and following the Parkway North). A couple of good loop hikes, too, around Julian Price (around the lake (super easy) and the Boone Fork trail (longer, moderate)). Grandfather Mountain also has excellent trails, but you'll need to either pay and go into the park, or buy a trail pass for trails that leave from other points.

Blowing Rock is very charming. Some good food (Mellow Mushroom is very filling if you've been hiking all day. There are fancy places, too), lots of interesting shops.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
Head to Damascus, Virginia and ride the Virginia Creeper Trail. Very easy ride, downhill over beautiful terrain in a great town. Lots of B&B's nearby. Also the BArter Theater in nearby Abingdon. Also, riding downhill is a great outside activity, but won't exhaust you so you will still have energy for romance!
This sounds like fun! Except that I'd be the only one enjoying myself. The last time I tried to get my wife to ride a bike it resulted in her crying (afraid of falling off and down the side of the mountain) and going back to the car to read a book while I continued to play We'll stick to an activity that we both enjoy. . . .walking.

And Google Maps says that Damascus is over 4 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary