Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 76,822 times

Advertisements

I tried searching to see if anyone has posted on this topic since it's been "completed" for a few weeks now but I did not see another similar post. (So forgive me if this has been brought up before.)

Basically is anyone else really disappointed in the road work they preformed on hwy 54? Specifically the area between Hwy 55 west towards Hope Valley area. I suppose they were trying to patch up some of the cracks and minor pot holes that were strewn along that stretch but now its way worse in my opinion than when they first started!

Does anyone know if they are planning to completely resurface this road and smooth it out or are we stuck with this horrendous, bumpy mess we have now? I mean, I have driven over gravel and dirt roads that were smoother. At least graders come down through those once a week and smooth things out!

Oh one last thing while I'm here posting...on that stretch is that Shell Station, you know at 54 and Barbee road. For goodness sakes people if you stop there for gas, do not leave the tail end of your car poking out onto hwy 54. I can't tell you the number of "near misses," swerves and slamming of brakes I've seen or been apart of to avoid accidents there. It's down right scary. I know you want to get a good deal on their cigarettes or whatever there, but it is really worth blocking traffic with your car? Please think.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 11:59 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
It is a mess. I'm not sure if that's the normal mess or if its going to be improved.

You could email the DOT engineer and ask/voice your concerns. Part of the new awareness at that much beloved agency is more attention to citizen complaints.

I'm pretty sure Eben Miller is one of the DOT engineers involved in that project. If not, he can tell you who is. His email addy is emiller@ncdot.gov. Eben has been sending updates to a distro list about various aspects of the entire NC54 upgrade project - seems like a helpful guy.

Frank

Old 09-16-2009, 12:00 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
i have never been able to figure out why that Shell station is so popular. it's tiny and isn't any better pricewise than the much larger stations just a mile either way down 54. that intersection gives me a panic attack everytime i go by it.

Mike

Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
That Shell station has been there longer than dirt ...

Here's the official DOT "progress report" on the NC54 project but it doesn't really give enough detail to know anything except that its not complete.

https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/traffic...LocSearch.aspx

Frank

Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 PM

It's good to know that it's still under progress, of course who knows how long it will be before that road is smooth again. Sadly I have travel it daily 4 times a day. LOL

Thank you Frank for looking that up!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM

335 posts, read 800,932 times
The Shell station used to be a few cents cheaper than the places on 54/Fayetteville Rd, but lately it's the same price or even higher. And yes, it's always packed at all times of the day. May as well carry on to the Circle K...

Old 09-16-2009, 12:24 PM

Yah the only thing I can figure is that it's the discounted cigarettes they also sell. I have no idea really. My husband and I joke that the station must have "magical" gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary