Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you should talk to your local grocer at [insert chain here] and find out when they usually deliver produce. Then do your shopping accordingly. Most of the time they are really friendly people and aren't just regular employee's stocking stuff.

I know that the Fresh Market in Cameron Village is at least. The guy would even point out things to me when I was there and helped me sample (stuff my face w/) produce if I had questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenah View Post
Hi everyone!

Can you please give me your opinion on the following grocery store chains - particularly the quality of their produce? I will be going back to Harris-Teeter on Rogers Road in Wake Forest to return a package of blueberries. I returned a package of strawberries last week.

-- Kroger, Harris Teeter, Lowes

Which stores are your favorites? Any pointers on best days to shop for fruit/veggies?

I usually like to go to the Farmer's Market in Wake Forest on Saturday, but I like to eat veggies/fruit everyday...

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Strawberries and Blueberries are late in the season. Strawberries are typically best between June and Mid-August. After that, you don't really get the best quality. Blueberry season is a bit longer, lasting from May to September.

Just remember, buy your fruits when they're in season for the location you live in if you want to guarantee the best tasting fruit. A good rule of thumb for me is that if I don't see it at a farmer's market then it probably isn't in season (and thus transported from a land far away and picked before it's peak).

Old 09-17-2009, 01:28 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
I'll just add that it does no good to talk about "HT" or "Lowes" or "food Lion". Each location is different, depending not only on management, but also on the clientele and how fast they move things through.

I've found VERY good meat at Food Lion in Apex, always fresh, and usually a good deal. Same with Produce at that location.

Totally agree with others on the HT VIC Deals. Especially Seafood, HT can not be beat on their fresh Tuna when it's on sale. Same with the IQF shrimp too.

My point for posting is that it is really dependent on the individual location, not the name on the building....

Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 PM

118 posts, read 276,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
Strawberries and Blueberries are late in the season. Strawberries are typically best between June and Mid-August. After that, you don't really get the best quality. Blueberry season is a bit longer, lasting from May to September.

Just remember, buy your fruits when they're in season for the location you live in if you want to guarantee the best tasting fruit. A good rule of thumb for me is that if I don't see it at a farmer's market then it probably isn't in season (and thus transported from a land far away and picked before it's peak).

Just wanted to agree with this poster...buy whats in season. Strawberries and blueberries are pretty well out so any shelf life will be exceptionally limited. As far as the best produce, I have to go with HT.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:26 PM

260 posts, read 545,805 times
I shop for my fresh foods at Lowe's on Capital in Wake Forest as a general rule. Some things may be a bit pricier, but I've never had trouble with the quality. The produce people are very friendly and don't mind answering questions, too. At this particular store, the deli people are very good also. I only shop at Kroger for a few staples - as the store near me is just not good. (Wakefield area) I don't like the veggies, the deli people are rude and slow, and it just isn't a well kept store.

But still - you can't beat Whole Foods or Fresh Market for produce. Always good seasonal stuff.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:34 AM

74 posts, read 203,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post

You're right - I have to learn what is in season, and what's not. I don't get why the store would sell food that is not in season, but that's another topic

Old 10-03-2009, 10:20 PM

278 posts, read 467,720 times
Strawberries are definitely out of season. Blueberries from the south are also out of season, although it may be very late season for the trucked in, northern grown variety. They're from Maine, and are usually smaller and less sweet.

I have two charts that you might find useful: one from the farmers market at NCDA&CS - Marketing Division - Availability Chart, and one made by Thomas Jefferson at http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...009/06/12k.jpg.

For what it's worth, I think HT is the best local store. I really hate the Kroger.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I'm not having a good produce experience at my HT in Durham. It's the one near South Square on MLK. Fruitflies just covering the tomato area and a lot of things don't look fresh. I try and go to the farmer's market instead but sometimes you just need produce midweek ... I really like the produce at Whole Foods but HT is closer and cheaper.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:24 PM

37 posts, read 215,557 times
Around here, all stores are hit and miss. Fruit tends to be worse as fall and winter come on. Bananas stay steady at all places. Strawberries come from California now until summer, when local growers supply the stores. Vegetables follow a similar path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary