Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times

Advertisements

I would have the yard graded so that rain water does not pool in your lawn. Since you are close to a ravine, a little grading work should be able to divert the water around your home and back to its original drainage pattern - the ravine.

I would also install a trench drain in the driveway, close to the garage, to prevent the driveway runoff from flowing into your garage. As an alternate, it may be possible to install a catchbasin in the driveway further from the house and route its output with the suggested grading work above.

House on slab foundation, located in the middle of a sloping yard with natural drainage behind the home, I agree you did the right thing buying the flood insurance. Just read the fine print to be certain it covers all water related perils and is not limited to only NOAA declared floods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM

113 posts, read 372,203 times
well it is new construction. Things seem to drain fairly well but water still pools a little after heavy rains etc.

btw, i took a look last night in the ravine and it had water sitting in it. Would have to get about 10 feet high before being in my level back yard though which i can't see happening there but you never know. Glad I got the insurance becasue you do never know....

Old 09-23-2009, 03:12 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflash View Post
yeah, i figured 200$, isn't much if only for the piece of mind, though some will argue that is wasted money better spend invested in something... but i think this is a good thing for my piece of mind. cause in a new neighborhood, or old, you just never know.
To start up in my home based business costs $129.95 which buys you a bunch of stuff and a possibility of building a business that might earn $100,000 a year. I think a lot more people get flood damage than succeed in my product brokerage business, however. I am pretty sure your house has to actually be _in_ the flood plain to be eligible. If so, buy the insurance. Here are some facts, too:
Flood Insurance Tips | National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)

Old 09-23-2009, 03:32 PM

306 posts, read 719,923 times
As long as your community participates in flood plain management, anyone can purchase flood insurance--even if the property isn't in a flood plain. The key is whether the community is "participating". There is a list of non-participating and participating areas on FEMAs site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary