Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 PM

238 posts, read 227,961 times

Advertisements

We have been to the Cary and suburbs area about 5 times in the past two years. It's a nice place. I'm concerned that there aren't enough jobs to support all the folks relocating there, though!

My dream may be unrealistic: 4 or (5 bedroom preferable) home on a decent sized lot with a 2 car garage, in a decent school district (NOT Briarcliff) for under $300 K? (Is Farmington Woods good?) Does this exist? Are there areas just bordering to Cary that would meet this list? I'm not even sure where we could find employment. My husband does computer networking and I teach community college English. I am interested in a career change to elementary public school teaching, though.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 06:26 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
We have been to the Cary and suburbs area about 5 times in the past two years. It's a nice place. I'm concerned that there aren't enough jobs to support all the folks relocating there, though!

My dream may be unrealistic: 4 or (5 bedroom preferable) home on a decent sized lot with a 2 car garage, in a decent school district (NOT Briarcliff) for under $300 K? (Is Farmington Woods good?) Does this exist? Are there areas just bordering to Cary that would meet this list? I'm not even sure where we could find employment. My husband does computer networking and I teach community college English. I am interested in a career change to elementary public school teaching, though.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Farmington Woods and adjoining Stoneybrook Estates are one of the very best locations in Cary, IMO. Convenient, quiet, out of the way, while "close to everything."
You should be able to find something there in the sub-$300,000 range.
5 bedrooms might be tough, though.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
The Farmington Woods school is supposedly excellent, but I do hear it's quite crowded. Still, it's one of the highly sought after schools in Cary. It is magnet and also traditional calendar. We applied to go there but didn't get in :-(.

Anyway, the neighborhoods around there are very nice as well. I particularly love Stoneybrook Estates. Very nice older homes on decent sized, well established wooded lots. It backs up to the school, like Mike Jaquish said, it's pretty, quiet, convenient to everything and family oriented. I love that area and would have loved a house there but it was beyond our budget at the time.
We desperately need teachers down here, so you would have no problem getting a job in a public school as long as you are qualified. As for your husband, I don't know what the market is like here for him, but he can start contacting headhunters in the area now.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Hi Lamishra,

thanks for the encouragement. I'm not sure when we could come down--probably at least 6 months to a year. Who knows what the market will be like then!

Can you give me an idea of where Stoneybrook Estates is in comparison to oter areas of Cary? I looked at houses all over, but many in Pirate's Cove. I like the split level older homes with decent sized lots. What do you think of that area in comparison to Stoneybrook Estates?

Old 05-02-2007, 06:58 PM

Willowbrook Drive is one of the streets in Stoneybrook.
On this Google Map, you can see Farmington Woods just south of Stoneybrook.
Hit the satellite and look at the trees...

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Willowb...i=map&ct=title

Farmington Woods Elementary is at the lower end of Hampton Valley Drive, where it meets the Cary Parkway. Sidewalks to the school!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Pirate's Cove is OK too. I'm not sure, but I think there might be a lot of rentals back there. It basically backs up to Cary High school so be prepared to hear lots of band music and football games. If there are a bunch of houses on the market in the same neighborhood, you might ask yourself why ;-).

Old 05-02-2007, 07:02 PM

Is there a neighborhood right around there with older home that has a little lake you could walk around? That would be great, we are nature lovers in this family!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
Is there a neighborhood right around there with older home that has a little lake you could walk around? That would be great, we are nature lovers in this family!
Coronado Village has a lake.
With geese and swans.
You can get there from Irongate too.
5 bedrooms is a stretch, though...

Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 PM

191 posts, read 236,143 times
Is Briarcliff really that bad these days? I went there for kindergarten before being accepted into the GT magnet program at Hunter. Mind you that this was 25years ago and Cary was a VERY different place.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:13 PM

Hey Mike,

Are you a Realtor? Also, do you know how I could search for houses for sale by the development? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary