Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:15 PM

238 posts, read 227,824 times

Advertisements

We actually hate new construction--I dislike when they cut down all the trees and it looks windswept and barren. I prefer older neighborhoods. I want a somewhat roomy house, though--about 2500 sq foot minimum.

I saw some nice 1970's and 80's split levels. Those seem to be a nice family home, with privacy, room for working in the basement, etc.

Would you buy an older home in Cary? I think that is what I can afford and what I like. I like older neighborhoods with mature trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
I would.
You should buy what you like and can afford.

That said, in terms of resale, split level homes tend to be difficult to resell as the style is less popular.
Look at the way the stairs are designed in the home. Some are very limiting, while others make a pleasant traffic flow.

But, that is where the big lots and 100 foot tall trees are.
Hard to beat, IMO.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:32 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks. I would think that split levels are great for families--not like these new modern homes with enormous staircases dominating the entryway. My mom is getting older and if we lived in a split level she'd have fewer steep stairs to negotiate. I love big trees and big lots. The trend these days is to cut down all the trees and put houses, while big, right next to each other.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 PM

BM,
I don't disagree about split levels.
It's just that they are less popular, and I have clients currently who have firmly ruled them out.
They are one way to get a fair amount of square footage at affordable price.
The thing is, they are also one way to SELL a fair amount of square footage at affordable price, too.
In other words, resale price will possibly suffer.
So remember... location, location, location rules. That split in a great location will be easier to sell.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:40 PM

Hmm, good to know! We really like Cary, but I'm not sure where my husband could find work. Or where I could, for that matter! He works in IT as a help desk analyst. I guess my fantasy is to get him a job at SAS--I've heard great things about them. But I am sure many people want to get jobs there!

Is there really a job shortage now that the Cary area has exploded in the past few years?

Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,713 times
I too like the older omes in Cary. I grew up in a split level home and can't understand why people don't like them now.
bargainmom, there's a nice split level house in Cary near Crossroads mall that is on the market. I grew up down the street and know(kind of) the people who own it. It has been well taken care of to the best of my knowledge. I don't know the mls number, but it's on Pioneer Ct. in the Hillsdale Forest subdivision if you're looking.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Hi Cary Native,

Our budget is $300K max, but we are really hoping more like $250-275K. Small budget, big dreams!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I currently own an "older Cary home" and wouldn't trade it for newer construction. Ours is a ranch though, not split level. I think there are pros and cons to split levels. We looked at several and I just couldn't get past how small the upper level rooms tended to be, but then again, we were looking at smaller homes anyway. My parents have a huge split level that I grew up in and it was very nice and spacious (2700 sq ft with a finished basement). The larger split levels in their neighborhood are selling like crazy right now (partly because of the schools and location) so you might just find a winner with resale if it's a nice lot, in a nice neighborhood close to popular schools.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
I too like the older omes in Cary. I grew up in a split level home and can't understand why people don't like them now.
bargainmom, there's a nice split level house in Cary near Crossroads mall that is on the market. I grew up down the street and know(kind of) the people who own it. It has been well taken care of to the best of my knowledge. I don't know the mls number, but it's on Pioneer Ct. in the Hillsdale Forest subdivision if you're looking.
1217 Pioneer Court.
Lo-o-ong house.
Big lot.
Great neighborhood.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Feel free to email me questions about specific neighborhoods in the older parts of town and I'll try to check them out as I'm driving around town. Another one of my favorite subdivisions is Coronado Village. There are some larger, probably 4 bedrooms back there. They're a bit smaller than the ones in Stoneybrook and go to a different school, but they may be more in your budget. The neighborhood is very pretty with a small lake to walk around, pretty landscaped lots, very friendly with lots of nice people.
It backs up tp my neighborhood and the kids go to the same school, so we know a lot of people who live back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary