Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:41 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

With your price range, you can live just about anywhere!

I'd start with the most desirable areas...North Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest, Apex.

The most desirable areas are the ones with the best schools, best shopping, easy access to highways, easy access to RTP, etc.

You'll then have the best idea of what you can get and where you can get it.

For example...it could be that you'll like the location of Highcroft (Morrisville but with a Cary address)but won't really like the airplane noise or the small lot sizes. Or, maybe you'll like Bedford because of the sidewalks, pools and the North Raleigh location but you'll have to compromise and get a home that is 2 years old versus brand new.

Yes, you'll have a ton of choices but YOUR needs and YOUR opinions will help you. It isn't that difficult once you actually see in person what your choices are.

Besides, buying a new home is fun! But then, I think any type of shopping is fun!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 12:16 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
I would add Hillsborough to your list. About 25 minutes to the airport, quaint historic town, and 15-20 minutes to all the shopping you would ever need.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I would add Hillsborough to your list. About 25 minutes to the airport, quaint historic town, and 15-20 minutes to all the shopping you would ever need.
The only problem that I would have with recommending a small town to someone who can spend as much as the OP is that I look at the history of appreciation and I'm not sure that Hillsborough or Pittsboro has that going for it. Also, look at days on market of what has sold.

If something happens (and we all know that the "best laid plans...") how many days does it take to sell a $600K home in Hillsborough versus selling that same home in North Raleigh or Cary?

Vicki

Old 09-19-2009, 01:16 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The only problem that I would have with recommending a small town to someone who can spend as much as the OP is that I look at the history of appreciation and I'm not sure that Hillsborough or Pittsboro has that going for it. Also, look at days on market of what has sold.

If something happens (and we all know that the "best laid plans...") how many days does it take to sell a $600K home in Hillsborough versus selling that same home in North Raleigh or Cary?

Vicki
I agree being in a small town a home could be on the market longer than if it was in Raleigh or Cary. I know she mentioned living in the country with little traffic, yet close to amenities so I thought Hillsborough would be worth checking out. Also, if I had $600 to spend in Hillsborough I would buy some land and build a custom home that I would plan on staying in for a long time and could care less how long it would take to resale (but that's just me). If I wanted to live in a nice family friendly neighborhood and was worried about resale I would spend around $400 and check out Churton Grove.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 PM

118 posts, read 275,937 times
I second Sunset Ridge...we love Holly Springs- what a great, small town!!

Old 09-19-2009, 06:32 PM

393 posts, read 673,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomkris View Post
We may be moving to the Raleigh area and I need help narrowing down where to look for houses. We have young children and we'd like to be in a good school district, and my husband will work from home, so traffic may not be an issue, although we'd like to be within 30 minutes of the airport due to his travel. From my internet searching it looks like there are plenty of options close to the airport. The problem is now, where to narrow it down from there. I'd like to be in an area with a neighborly feel where you know your neighbors, the kids all go to school together, the parents meet up at the park, etc. I'd rather not be in a neighborhood where the kids are on different tracks.

Some of the areas that I am interested in are - Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, Pittsboro, and Wake Forest. I'd love to get some input on these, such as - how close/far away they are to the mall, shopping, and things to do; what the traffic is like; family friendliness. I like the idea of being farther out in the country and away from all the traffic, yet close enough in to things that it's not a terribly long trek. Any input would be most appreciated!
The single best area for this would be the northeast section of Fuquay-Varina. I know, because I love the same thing as you. It is only 20 minutes from DT Raleigh, has lots of places to shop and eat within 5 to 15 minutes all around and is stunningly beautiful country living. It's the best of all worlds.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
The single best area for this would be the northeast section of Fuquay-Varina. I know, because I love the same thing as you. It is only 20 minutes from DT Raleigh, has lots of places to shop and eat within 5 to 15 minutes all around and is stunningly beautiful country living. It's the best of all worlds.
In a GOOD market, it would take about 4 months to sell a home in FV, while it would take only 2 months to sell in North Raleigh. I like Fuquay but I would not spend $600K there.
Sorry CD...

Vicki

Old 09-19-2009, 06:43 PM

393 posts, read 673,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
In a GOOD market, it would take about 4 months to sell a home in FV, while it would take only 2 months to sell in North Raleigh. I like Fuquay but I would not spend $600K there.

Vicki
Vicki,

You may want to re-read the OP. I believe they are looking to BUY a house, not SELL a house. I would BUY a house where I wanted to LIVE, not where I wanted to sell within a specified period of time. What the OP described is EXACTLY what I like, therefore my input.

Here is what the OP wants:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomkris View Post
I like the idea of being farther out in the country and away from all the traffic, yet close enough in to things that it's not a terribly long trek.
Please see "farther out in the country and away from all the traffic". That is NOT North Raleigh.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 PM

As a Realtor, I look at things a bit differently than a buyer. Yes, we all LIVE in our homes and sometimes we even say that we are never going to move. If I were going to spend $600K, I would hope it would be a good investment, as well as a home to raise my family. Therefore, I say it again...I wouldn't spend $600K on a home in Fuquay.

As to what the OP asked for, as we all know...there are compromises involved in purchasing a home. I would rather spend $600K in Clayton than Fuquay, but that is just MY OPINION.

Vicki

Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Your budget may be "up to" 600K but at $130-140 per square foot for a home by a local custom builder you can find a whole bunch of options sub $500K. The homes will be well detailed and well built-3500 square feet plus or minus. Call me the fiscal conservative in the group, but unless you need the size or covet the large lot you don't need to spend your whole budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary