Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,157 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,
I am considering a move to the triangle. I have two children, one entering second grade, one entering fourth grade. They are currently in a private elementary in Arizona, and we are familiar with the expenses of private schools, fund raisers etc... I have heard that DA isn't all that its reputation would lead a casual observer to believe. (Oh, BTW $16k per kid, plus $2k for each first timer, plus books, plus activities seems a little excessive...)The things that seem to be most worrysome is that they are really, really intrested in how much money your willing to donate for your childs 'enrichment'. Perhaps it was just a parent that had a bad experience, but any input would be greatly apreicated. Also, I have heard wonderfull things about a lot of public schools. Any suggestions to be within a 20-30 minute radius to Duke Hospital? If this topic has been flogged to death, please let me know what thread it is under. I am concerned as our childrens education requirements will directly dictate where we will be looking for a home. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,968,615 times
I don't have personal experience with durham academy, just have heard of several people who sent their kids there because they didn't think the Chapel Hill schools were good enough. I beleive it is full of very motivated students with even more motivated parents.

Within 20-30 min of Duke you have all the Durham, Chapel Hill and Hillsborough Schools. Alot of Duke Faculty live in Chapel Hill, its an easy commute.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,678,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ised8em View Post
Greetings all,
I am considering a move to the triangle. I have two children, one entering second grade, one entering fourth grade. They are currently in a private elementary in Arizona, and we are familiar with the expenses of private schools, fund raisers etc... I have heard that DA isn't all that its reputation would lead a casual observer to believe. (Oh, BTW $16k per kid, plus $2k for each first timer, plus books, plus activities seems a little excessive...)The things that seem to be most worrysome is that they are really, really intrested in how much money your willing to donate for your childs 'enrichment'. Perhaps it was just a parent that had a bad experience, but any input would be greatly apreicated. Also, I have heard wonderfull things about a lot of public schools. Any suggestions to be within a 20-30 minute radius to Duke Hospital? If this topic has been flogged to death, please let me know what thread it is under. I am concerned as our childrens education requirements will directly dictate where we will be looking for a home. Thanks in advance!
It certainly has a certain panache, but with that price tag (about average for private schools down here really) it should.

It would be one of those things that I'd have to tour and see for myself.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:51 AM

133 posts, read 711,453 times
I'm interested in Durham Academy myself (2 preschool-aged girls), since many of the homes we saw during our stay (that we really liked and could afford) were in the Durham area. Plus it's close to where my wife would work. How would it compare to other private schools in the Triangle? Ravenscroft in Raleigh? Is there a good one (non-sectarian) in the Cary/Apex area? Thanks in advance...

Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,920,412 times
Carolina Friends School may also be worth a look, a Quaker-affiliated private school with an excellent reputation.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:11 AM

823 posts, read 3,926,349 times
I've heard that Duram Academy is better for high school than the lower grades. A poster on another forum praised the Triangle Day School, saying the teachers there were consistantly excellent.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,045,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Carolina Friends School may also be worth a look, a Quaker-affiliated private school with an excellent reputation.
I went to carolina friends, from kindergarten through ninth grade (as did my sisters), my dad was my teacher in elementary school, then moved on to working in the upper school. My mom, in the last 6 years, worked as the guidance counselor at friends upper school.

DA (as us locals call durham academy) is also a good school, very different feel than friends though. Friends school has made excellent strides in their academics (as far as competitiveness) in the past 10 years. Friends school is more montesorri based in that, along with the quaker philiosophy, students should learn at their own pace (in the elementary school age). This gives students the opportunity to expore many different areas of their academic interests. Friends school also takes great care in educating their students about community involvement, respect for others and the world around us, and teaching students how to be true learners, how to analyze information and come to conclusions.

Durham Academy is very strong academically, does have a lot of parental involvement, but doesn't take on the community in such as way that friends school does. In the past there were not good feelings between students at friends school and da. Friends had elective courses that students could participate in (track and field courses, biking courses, etc) that were not the standard courses and as that news travelled to DA, they seemed to think that Friends was like summer camp. It is not, but it certainly believes that educating a student in a well rounded way is the most important component.

Friends school is not for everyone, certainly. But it is worth a look because they are comparable in price. I left (as did my sisters) because my parents, at the time, had their own business and we could not afford the tuition! I ended up at chapel hill high school and did not feel like I was behind any students academically.

Leigh

Old 05-03-2007, 07:22 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,067,924 times
Leigh, thank you for the first-hand knowledge on the Carolina Friends school. We don't have children yet, but when we do I'd love for them to go to a school that has ties to the Society of Friends.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:46 AM

191 posts, read 236,576 times
I see from the website that Carolina Friends was started by the Durham and Chapel Hill meetings. Does anyone know if these particular meetings lean more conservative or liberal? In other words do they have programmed meetings or is it just one big gripe fest against the war in Iraq? I'm against the war but I wouldn't want politics to be a distraction to my child's education.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:48 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,045,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Leigh, thank you for the first-hand knowledge on the Carolina Friends school. We don't have children yet, but when we do I'd love for them to go to a school that has ties to the Society of Friends.
No problem. Friends does have meetings for worship every week in the upper school (in the lower and middle school they just have 'settling in' every day). The meetings are traditional quaker meetings, done in silence and when someone is moved to speak, they do. All of the gatherings at the school are started with settling in or a moment of silence. It is definitely something that probably takes getting used to if you come into the school after you have been to another school. I didn't think anything about it because I started in kindergarten, and it really is a nice way to take the time to start the day, or end the day with some reflection............

Needless to say, for me it was a shock to go to public school and have the bells ringing telling me to go to class!

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary