Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM

49 posts, read 140,480 times

Advertisements

Glad you were able to visit again.

It is a very diversified community with ages running from mid 50s up. My group of friends are in the mid 50s to mid 60s and very youthful. The community works best for those who are looking for an active life style. If you are reclusive or not into social activities, it may not be the best place. Even though there is alot to do my husband and I love to explore NC and also take classes at local universities. My husband also belongs to the senior softball league which is outside the community.Thus we spend time in the community and outside the community for variety.

I would be happy to talk to your parents if they want further information.

Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:48 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Umm....think you misread my post! We ARE planning to move to Carolina Preserve! We love it! We didn't like The Villages which is 20 miles south of Ocala, FL.
Hence my status...

Old 03-18-2011, 04:09 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
It basically means people were duped. The phrase "Don't Drink the Kool-Aid" comes as a result of the Jim Jones cult who convinced his followers to drink cyanide-laced Kool-Aid back in the late 70's. A lot of posts around C-D and on other parts of the web, people say, "What Kool-Aid were they drinking?" or a variation thereof to imply people thought they were doing or getting something better than they really were.

Here's the wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Cowboy View Post
What does a lot of kool-aid going around mean?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It basically means people were duped. The phrase "Don't Drink the Kool-Aid" comes as a result of the Jim Jones cult who convinced his followers to drink cyanide-laced Kool-Aid back in the late 70's. A lot of posts around C-D and on other parts of the web, people say, "What Kool-Aid were they drinking?" or a variation thereof to imply people thought they were doing or getting something better than they really were.

Here's the wiki article on it: Drinking the Kool-Aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or it means that they are drinking vodka-laced kool aid and having the time of their life! Woohoo!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,869 times
Unhappy Carolina Preserve house defect?

Hi all. Have read all the messages under the topic of Carolina Preserve. Hope there are some people here who can help with my dilemma.

Need to move to Cary to be near daughter and family. Very very interested in Carolina Preserve, but viewed 3 Willow Bend models and found the same defect in 2 of them, defect possible in the third since the area in question was there covered in carpet.

Problem is that the slab has cracked all the way across the width, the crack being evident in the gap in the hardwood floor and some loose floor pieces. Asked for clarification thru my realtor, who learned from the listing agent that Pulte's engineer says the crack is not structural damage.

I say the crack has to be structural since it goes all the way thru the slab, from side to side.

Really wanted to buy a Willow Bend resale, but am afraid there is no "cure," or that if repairs are made the Willow Bend model will have acquired a bad reputation in the CP community. I think the problem may be the clay soil, but I don't know enuf to say that for sure. I note that the model is popular in other Del Webb communities.

What to do? Really want to move there, but afraid of making a bad decision.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegnie View Post
Hi all. Have read all the messages under the topic of Carolina Preserve. Hope there are some people here who can help with my dilemma.

Need to move to Cary to be near daughter and family. Very very interested in Carolina Preserve, but viewed 3 Willow Bend models and found the same defect in 2 of them, defect possible in the third since the area in question was there covered in carpet.

Problem is that the slab has cracked all the way across the width, the crack being evident in the gap in the hardwood floor and some loose floor pieces. Asked for clarification thru my realtor, who learned from the listing agent that Pulte's engineer says the crack is not structural damage.

I say the crack has to be structural since it goes all the way thru the slab, from side to side.

Really wanted to buy a Willow Bend resale, but am afraid there is no "cure," or that if repairs are made the Willow Bend model will have acquired a bad reputation in the CP community. I think the problem may be the clay soil, but I don't know enuf to say that for sure. I note that the model is popular in other Del Webb communities.

Hire your own structural engineer?

Contact an attorney about adding an addendum to the contract which allows you to walk away should the structural engineer find that the crack is structural or that Pulte must repair to the structural engineer's satisfaction.

Vicki

Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 AM

29 posts, read 313,105 times
Vicki there are only 2 ways that you can touch Pulte's contracts: initialing and signing where they indicate!
That is unless they've changed there rules.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegnie View Post

I wouldn't expect the problem to be confined to the Willow Bend model, but would happen in other models in the community, depenedent upon conditions at the time of pour, site prep, concrete consistency, concrete curing process, etc.

When I was looking to buy a spec Pulte home in Blackstone, the one we were originally going to purchase had the same exact problem - crack from front to back in slab. Crack was within their tolerances so they said it was a non-issue. That turned us off from that particular house so we ended up picking a different one. Pulte proceeded to install carpet in the home with the crack and raise the price (it was 2006, they raised prices 3-4 times that year). That house sold for full listing price and the original owners are still in it. I have not heard that they had had any issues due to the crack (and probably don't even know about it because it was covered with carpet 3 days after we were going to offer on it).

Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Pulte building shoddy homes? Inconceivable!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Pulte building shoddy homes? Inconceivable!
Am I the only one who read your post with this voice in my head?

Princess Bride ( Inconceivable [ Montage ] ) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary