U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 PM

128 posts, read 322,328 times

Advertisements

I'm actually a network tech for a company in the area. I don't mind taking a look at it. We have many users who travel to Africa and what ends up happening is they come back with some virus that no one has ever heard of. It's quite a pain but I have many tools to restore the data and clean the drive. McAfee which is a name brand Anti-Virus solution is good but I am not completely sold by it. The problem with home computer is that if they do not get the latest virus definitions they don't necessarily protect you. Shoot me a PM if you still need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone. I am exploring my options. Man this stuff always happens at the worst time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 PM

2,275 posts, read 5,873,902 times
I sent you a DM with a recommendation.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,219,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
We got something similar and Intrex took care of it.
Pretty frustrating when you use good virus protection.

They are located in the Holly (something )shopping center
Wake Forest Rd -just inside beltline.

Where Trader Joes is going .

They told us for a faster(2 day) turn around to use the store in Cary.
That is what we did.
Intrex is no longer located in Hollly Park. They moved down the street to the Eastgate Plaza. Their new store is easy to find since they're right up front facing Wake Forest Road.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 PM

4,532 posts, read 7,888,127 times
I feel your pain. this happened to me recently, what a nightmare. Over the course of 2 days it took over my system to where the fake security messages blocked my screen, blocked me from the net, acted like a real security alert stating i needed to purchase updated virus protection to fix, all a scam and rotten virus. I had Norton, called them for support. They quoted me over $200 to remove the virus by remote. I asked them why their fix it mode didn't fix it and was told that their AntiVirus software only identifies, and doesn't fix problem viruses. I found this ironic as their software didn't actually identify the virus, a second system I downloaded in an effort to fix it found the problem.

I used Geek Squad at BB in Knightdale, the guys were very understanding and responsive (quick turnaround); they helped me come up with a plan to better protect my system in the future. i also know that Intrex is very good to. I do suggest that if you can, back up your files onto a CD, it'll save you about $100. I had GS do mine as I was in a rush to get my system up and running, and I'd already spent most of Sunday trying to fix it. oh, system restore function didn't help me..
Good luck! it won't be cheap

Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM

43 posts, read 174,683 times
But if I were you, I will use the malwarebytes first, you can also get the spybot to scan your computer. I'm saying this because I'm working with that problem (Personal Anti virus software, Windows anti virus, etc.) almost all the time, we're supporting several school system and business... and malwarebytes always fixed it and beside from fixing the problem, it's free... I dont want you to buy or pay service to fix it.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 AM

454 posts, read 842,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC81 View Post
I'll re-emphasize that your best bet will be going with MalwareBytes (Malwarebytes.org). Do a full scan with the free version and see what it finds. This is by far the best option out there. McAfee probably won't fix it at this point. If this doesn't do it, backup and reformat will be your best bet. I can recommend some good tech firms, but you'll end up almost paying as much as a new PC for the amount of time this would take.
I'll 3rd or 4th or whatever we're up to for Malwarebytes. I use it daily at work.

Most of the times these days you haven't actually gotten a virus, but have downloaded one of those fake antivirus "scareware" programs. The one we're seeing at work on a daily basis is personal antivirus. Basically when you're browsing the web it pops up a window that looks like an official windows virus scanner, shows you all kinds of virus that you DON'T have, and says click here to remove them. When you click, it installs the program. The entire point of these things is to scare the user into thinking their PC is much worse off than it is, and to buy the product that you just installed.

Malwarebytes is very good, but some of these programs when they get installed, the first thing they do is disable your antivirus software and attack programs like Malwarebytes. I had one yesterday that as soon as I started to run MWB, it killed the process.

Another good idea would be to run MWB while in safe mode. (hit F8 just before your windows boot screen comes up and select safe mode. Usually when you boot up the PC you can just drum the F8 key since it's a timing thing..).

Good luck NRG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary