Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 PM

299 posts, read 635,264 times

Advertisements

I'd definitely check out the GardenWeb forum and their link for "kitchens". There are many, over the top expensive kitchens but you'll also find those who have done amazing work with a small budget. You can find lots of help as far as where to find things at a great price. They were really helpful when we were updating our kitchen prior to selling and didn't want to spend a fortune that we wouldn't recoup in a sale. Definitely a must for anyone redoing a kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
I've done a fair amt of fixing up my house. I am a hi functioning amateur Anyhow, I painted my bathroom solid oak cabinets, white..seemed like the best way to dress em up, everyone told me it was the way to go. Well, a couple of days later I saw HGTV had a show on staining...I coulda kicked myself. I could have sanded and stained my cabinets and they'd have looked better than painted, which after a while, yellows and tends to stain more easily. If yours are salvagable and can be sanded, I'd stain them, there are lots of color choices. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
I much prefer wood stained cabinets, but right now I have white ones.

Somewhere online I saw this color combination (that I had thought about, but I was shocked to see it in an image): Painted white uppper cabinets, medium gray painted lower cabinets, black countertops (granite, quartz, slab, tile, whatever, just black stone of some type), and white subway tile as the backsplash. Silver or pewter hardware.

They also showed a chandelier, which I have, but I'll never get DH to agree to remove the ceiling fan and replace it with the chandelier.

Some day I hope to re-do our kitchen with those colors. It definitely looked timeless.

And OF COURSE most people in their right minds would prefer top-of-the-line everything, including granite slab (not tile) countertops, wood cabinets (not painted), real wood floors (not wood-look vinyl), and stainless steel appliances (not liquid stainless steel), but not everyone -- especially in this recession -- can afford it.

But you can still make a huge difference in updating an older home by using the "lookalike" products -- and the kitchen will look much better than what you started with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ech86 View Post
Since we're talking about kitchen cabinets, just wondering what color cabinets people prefer -- white or "natural" wood. I've never liked white cabinets but I'm seeing them more and more lately. And what color counter top seems to be the most liked?

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 09-23-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM

121 posts, read 381,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
I like white cabinets with black countertops. It's timeless. I'm not into trendy kitchens that need to be redone every 10 years. I also really like the glass inserts on the cabinet doors. I would go with seeded glass so my shelves don't have to look perfect.
I agree. Trends in kitchen eventually look dated. All of the stainless appliances and granite counters will eventually go out of style and be replaced even if they work fine.

If you think that these trends are here to stay, then consider how long avocado was a popular color in kitchens and the fate there.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I'm wondering what the OP decided to do???

In this area, I would not do granite tiles. Like another poster said, it screams "I wanted granite but cheaped out".

Also, depending on your price point...when it comes time to re sell, if your home is $500,000, you'll almost have to have granite to sell it.

I am in the process of re doing my bathrooms and just found out that "my" granite guy is also doing tile!!!

You can save money by checking prices but make sure you are comparing apples to apples. As always, you get what you pay for!

Vicki

Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM

120 posts, read 498,408 times
Hey! I just posted this today:

I would go with Raleigh Premium cabinets (just google for contact info). Mine just came in yesterday and I couldn't be happier! I got quotes at I think EVERY single cabinet place in Raleigh and this place definitely had by far the most bang for your buck! We worked with Ted and he was great. He's a very trustworthy guy and he really took the time to talk with us about what we wanted and what would be the best fit for your kitchen. He was very quick with responses to emails and calls and went out of his way to help us.

I also decided on AB Stone for the granite. The owner, Amos, was very nice and really tried to make the deal work. I didn't like any of his samples so he sent me to Marva Stone yard to pick out one I liked and then purchased the slab from them. Also the cheapest I could find! The counters aren't in yet so I can't tell you how they look/what kind of job they did.

I got a custom built island distressed white with an antique butcher block top from the flea market for about $425. The builder we found at a booth inside one of the buildings. It came in yesterday and looks great! The builder, Jon, did a wonderful job. It probably would have cost me $425 alone if I had granite put on the island. You can tell him exactly what you want in the way of cabinets, shelves, size, color. It's great!

The whole kitchen with cabinets, counter top, island came in around $7,000. $1000 under our first time home buyers $8000 credit Hope this helps everyone in their searches =)

Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamzz View Post
Hey! I just posted this today:

I would go with Raleigh Premium cabinets (just google for contact info). Mine just came in yesterday and I couldn't be happier! I got quotes at I think EVERY single cabinet place in Raleigh and this place definitely had by far the most bang for your buck! We worked with Ted and he was great. He's a very trustworthy guy and he really took the time to talk with us about what we wanted and what would be the best fit for your kitchen. He was very quick with responses to emails and calls and went out of his way to help us.

I also decided on AB Stone for the granite. The owner, Amos, was very nice and really tried to make the deal work. I didn't like any of his samples so he sent me to Marva Stone yard to pick out one I liked and then purchased the slab from them. Also the cheapest I could find! The counters aren't in yet so I can't tell you how they look/what kind of job they did.

I got a custom built island distressed white with an antique butcher block top from the flea market for about $425. The builder we found at a booth inside one of the buildings. It came in yesterday and looks great! The builder, Jon, did a wonderful job. It probably would have cost me $425 alone if I had granite put on the island. You can tell him exactly what you want in the way of cabinets, shelves, size, color. It's great!

The whole kitchen with cabinets, counter top, island came in around $7,000. $1000 under our first time home buyers $8000 credit Hope this helps everyone in their searches =)
How big is your kitchen, how many sq ft of granite, and did that include labor? Sounds great congrats!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
it was ~35 sqft of granite, labor included

Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
daydreamzz, congrats! I love hearing stories like that.

For those of us who still don't have the budget for granite -- I was surprised to see Wilsonart makes some nice-looking laminate countertops: http://www.countertop.com/laminate

The laminate in our kitchen has lasted 40 years, with no sealing required and no radon worries, so we'll probably install that some time soon. (And if I lived in a $500,000 house, I'd order granite. ) I ordered samples, and some is very polished and shiny (like granite), and many others have a texture, which probably hides fingerprints well.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 AM

96 posts, read 477,881 times
Bumping this up.

I just visited Ab Stone Boutique on Sat and the owner was very nice and the price is also within our budget.

I was wondering how the granite job went for the OP. Would you recommend this place? Feel free to DM me if you'd like.

Thanks,
tpid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary