Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 03:17 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,023,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
I would really like to have a KOI pond built, but I was wondering if you can do that in NC??? Do the KOI freeze??? I have never lived in a cold climate, and as I was thinking of my future pond in my head, I pictures the water freezing and the little KOI dying. I am sure you have koi ponds there, do you guys use heaters in the water or something???
I live in massachusetts and have a koi pond with 7 fish in it. it's rather large (don't know how much water but the deepest point is approximately 4 feet deep) and it has a water fall. I don't use a water heater during the winter but I do make sure there is a hole in the ice at all times (approximately 12 inches in diamater). I've had the pond for 9 years. The second year (because i didn't know any better) the fish did die over the winter and the next winter after that (I guess I was a little slow in learning ) but since then I've had the same 7 fish. Oh and on occassion when the water isn't frozen I do run the water fall just to help with circulating the oxygen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,714 times
I have a koi pond, about 300 gallons and I did not use a heater and mine survived the cold just fine. It even iced over for part of the winter with a 1/4" layer of ice. But our beagle has gotten bitten my a copper head twice within the past year, both times near the koi pond - of course the stacked stone and english ivy don't help. The biggest problem I have had is controlling the algae and I did have one fish "disappear."

Old 07-10-2007, 08:25 PM

740 posts, read 2,014,373 times

Last edited by ibcwife; 07-10-2007 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,691,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank2109 View Post
I have a koi pond, about 300 gallons and I did not use a heater and mine survived the cold just fine. It even iced over for part of the winter with a 1/4" layer of ice. But our beagle has gotten bitten my a copper head twice within the past year, both times near the koi pond - of course the stacked stone and english ivy don't help. The biggest problem I have had is controlling the algae and I did have one fish "disappear."
lol, we always go back to snakes, hee hee.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Koi ponds! Raised Gardens! This is some palatial estate you have going on Lizardlips! Please remember to invite all us citi-data common-folk over when you take High Tea with the Queen later this summer! I am guessing the dogs you speak of are Welsh Corgis or british bulldogs perhaps? LOL Just kidding! I think a Koi pond would be very nice. It sounds like you have some very cool plans for your new yard. I am jealous!
Ha!!
The raised beds, are to put in tomatoes and veggies, so they will only be four boards nailed together.
Koi ponds, well that is another dream...
As for my dogs.... Weiner mix, pompoo (poodle and pomeranian) and a pekingese.
I do kinda look like the queen, plus my name is Elizabeth...are you impressed??

Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 AM

It all really depends on what kind of fish that you have and how big they are. If they are koi and the pond ices over depending on the size and the amount of koi... it is a good chance they will die. Since my pond is fairly small, and carried a heavy load of fish I needed the heater. I didn't get a heater until the 3rd year I had my pond. Couldn't figure out why all of the fish died the first two winters... IDk... maybe because it freezes and stays frozen almost the whole winter?.? Also, the little tank heater that I have keeps the pond totally thawed and I can see the fish all winter... I like that!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Hail to Queen Elizabeth Lizardlips..... LOL...

Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 AM

Old 07-26-2007, 10:14 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
My in laws live in Southern VA about 2 hours North of Raleigh and they have a koi pond. They don't have a heater and when it ices over during certain parts of the winter, they just keep holes in the ice. I don't think any of their fish have died from the cold, but I'm not totally sure.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:31 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,755 times
Talking Beautiful!!

IBCWife - what a beautiful koi pond! Jealousy on this end . But, after what the other poster said about copperheads near his, and my fear of snakes, I think I shall NOT put one in my yard when I get there. With my luck it would be the only one for miles and I would have every copperhead with in miles hanging out around mine basking in the sunlight . My fish would all die of starvation because I would not be going near the pond. And I love fish and just could not do that to them . Unless of course I could train the Koi to munch on some snake bait . Just kidding, but isn't it a good idea, and ya know some fish ARE trainable . Just kidding.

And hail to our Queen Liz, long may she reign.

Char
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary