Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

The others may back out or not be selected. You might want to visit even if it's just for the practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
I heard it was easy to get a full time job in that area - Chapel Hill especially. I have been looking for ten years in Pennsylvania. Anyone will hire you as a substitute but the only ones in Central PA that I have seen getting hired during this time are friends and relatives of administrators and board members. A friend of mine applied for a central PA teaching job that she had been a substitute for for over a year when administrators decided to have interviews. She went and was told she was not qualified and they hired the wife of an ex principal's son who already had a job elsewhere and had to break the contract. The Sub went to another School District outside of Central PA and was told how well qualified she was and was hired on the spot over an administrator's daughter. What a turn around.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
I heard it was easy to get a full time job in that area - Chapel Hill especially.
That surprises me, since Chapel Hill schools have the best reputation, and therefore I would imagine would have the highest demand for teachers wanting to teach there, with the schools being able to pick and choose more. Also, UNC-CH with its very good School of Education is right there and UNC grads would be hoping to stay in Chapel Hill. I would imagine that system to be one of the most competitive systems around. OTOH, Durham schools (many of them) have an iffier reputation, and I'd imagine there is a lot of turnover there and thus lots of openings.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 PM

415 posts, read 1,109,762 times
What are the requirements for substitute teachers here? Do the requirements differ by county or are they standard across the state?

Jenny_B

Old 01-13-2009, 07:57 AM

10 posts, read 23,648 times
I totally feel for all you teachers. I just moved from Florida and I have not been able to find a teaching job, I tried for a teacher assistant position. I didn't even get a call back on that. I got on the sub list and I have only gotten a few calls in 3 weeks.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,499 times
So many schools are cutting positions. The school I work at is usually scrambling to hire people and will hire just about one, not this year. We actually lost teachers and for the first time in I don't know how long we have NO open positons and will actually start the year with a full staff.

I've heard that the federal stimulus money for education was set aside for EC services at schools. If you can get certified in EC then you might have a better shot.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,163 times
Reading these messages posted back in May, I'm wondering if you all have found jobs. I've been working it for 3-4 months with no results and it's a week before school starts back here in Mississippi. Things are not good down here at all. Not by a long shot, but that seems to be the case everywhere. I've had 2 "offers" for positions that turned out to be non-existent. Principals thought they would get the positions, but they haven't materialized and it's been well over a month. In one high school (of roughly 2000 students), the faculty has been cut by 1/3...40+positions gone out of about 130. One of the major core CU departments had 23 faculty members last year and 14 this year. DOESN'T NCLB HAVE A MANDATE FOR HOW MANY STUDENTS ONE TEACHER CAN TEACH IN A DAY? I've been told it's 150 students and now I'm wondering how the states/districts are going to get around the limit. Don't parents/children have a right to a certain class size?

Yes, it gets discouraging....very discouraging. Every single day I have to get "centered" through prayer and meditation. I'm in my 50s with no job, no health insurance, and no life insurance. I get scared a lot, especially when I'm told that the forecast over the next 2-3 years is even worse.

I wonder if Kroger's will hire me to scan groceries part-time?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbarfly54 View Post
Reading these messages posted back in May, I'm wondering if you all have found jobs.
FWIW, the messages were actually posted in May of 2007.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Things have certainly gotten considerable worse since 2007....I work in a school in upstate NY and we made major cuts this spring with the knowledge that 2011 will look even bleaker....we have the dble edged sword of bad economy plus loss of population catching up with us

We field a teaching college all year and it was quite sobering for the fabulous student teachers that worked at our school this year to realize they most likely won't be getting a job in the near future in NYS... there's a surplus of new teachers and a depletion of openings as schools scramble to combine and do without. I know we are looking at closing a building and restructuring our grade levels within a year or two which equates to even more cuts....

And it sounds as bad in NC where the growth is booming

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 07-27-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary