Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:11 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Hi, I usually board my dog at my vet, but I need a backup for last minute business trips should my vet be all booked. My dog came home sick from my usual backup, a "pet resort" (all I'll say here), so I will never take her there again.

The problem is I'd rather find a place to board her where she does NOT go out to play with other dogs and instead has one on one playtimes with the staff - she had some issues in the "pet resort's" daycare a year ago and I'm afraid to let that happen again (She wasn't as active as the most active dogs and was too active for the next group).

I'm in Durham but anywhere in the triangle is ok if it's a good place who will take good care of my dog! When I picked her up from this place last time she was drooling like crazy and a little loopy, took her right to my vet who was worried she'd gotten into some poison - tests came back ok so she was on antibiotics for a while. Never again.

Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
I used to bring my dog to Armadale on Strickland Rd. and they were wonderful. They can get individual attention. It is also a vet.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
You can pretty much take the dog anywhere, just make sure you specifically tell them that you wish for your dog NOT to be around other dogs.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 AM

Thanks, keep 'em coming!

I just want to clarify that I'm NOT talking about Pet Resort at the Triangle near RTP - I've never used them - may check them out.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
The last few times we've needed a kennel we used Sunny Acres.

Sunny Acres Pet Resort Home Page

We don't do day care (which is the group play) but request personal time. You can get 20 minutes for $6.

If we do a short day board I'll just do one personal time (since I drop her off before work & pick her up mid-afternoon a quick walk at lunch is enough). If she is there overnight I'll do 3 or 4 per day. They spread them out so she is getting one-on-one time 3 times each day & the girls there seem really good w/the animals. Since the base rate for staying is reasonable, adding the extra times really isn't bad.

They will also do meds for a few extra dollars/day, give them treats or goodies you bring from home, let you bring toys & their own bed from home and if you have multiple I believe they will let 2 dogs (assuming they are small enough) share a kennel/run.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 AM

That's the one I don't want to use anymore...

Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 AM

423 posts, read 1,094,911 times
I use Pet Resort on Miami. They offer group or individual play. (My dogs don't get either of the choices) I like them because they use Kuranda beds for the dogs. I was extremely unhappy how my senior dog came back from my vet so I changed to the Pet Resort. They are on the pricey side, $35 a day.

I had an issue one time with my dog getting sick at the kennel and it cost me $1600. I will never again allow them to have access to other dogs. Boarding isn't about their enjoyment, it's about their safety.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
I use Pet Resort on Miami. They offer group or individual play. (My dogs don't get either of the choices) I like them because they use Kuranda beds for the dogs. I was extremely unhappy how my senior dog came back from my vet so I changed to the Pet Resort. They are on the pricey side, $35 a day.

I had an issue one time with my dog getting sick at the kennel and it cost me $1600. I will never again allow them to have access to other dogs. Boarding isn't about their enjoyment, it's about their safety.
Thank you! I was looking at their website and I might try them. It's really convenient and I like that they offer individual play. I completely agree that it's about their safety. It's unfortunate that not only did my dog get sick at Sunny Acres, after my vet called them to find out whether they used toxic substances there, they never followed up with me to either apologize or ask about my dog.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Isn't all this discussaion about dogs getting sick at day care a good reason for a in-home pet sitter? It seems like the animal would be happier and safer if you use a bonded and insured sitter.

We went on vacation and since my husband would not let me take our dog with us this year, I had a combination of son staying here for morning and night time walk and used neighbor for evening -when son was still at work- for 4 p.m. walk. A Local sitter charged $17 per 20 minute walk and play session.

I'm scared to take my dog to board. I just don't know how they are treated and about health of other dogs.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Isn't all this discussaion about dogs getting sick at day care a good reason for a in-home pet sitter? It seems like the animal would be happier and safer if you use a bonded and insured sitter.

We went on vacation and since my husband would not let me take our dog with us this year, I had a combination of son staying here for morning and night time walk and used neighbor for evening -when son was still at work- for 4 p.m. walk. A Local sitter charged $17 per 20 minute walk and play session.

I'm scared to take my dog to board. I just don't know how they are treated and about health of other dogs.
That's why pet sitting is so popular. There are many dogs who cannot handle being boarded whether it is due to age, stress, or special needs. Also, any dog can get kennel cough, fleas, or any kind of sickness. Anyone who does go with a pet sitter please make sure they are insured and come with plenty of references!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary