Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:20 AM

119 posts, read 355,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Is it a generally safe area? Are there a lot of young families that live there?
I live in Willow Springs with my husband and 4 (almost 5) year old son. Yes, I would say this area is safe. My husband works in RTP. He does leave very early in the morning (6AM) to avoid traffic and even then it takes him about 45-50 minutes to get there (he goes in early so he can leave work around 4:30 to also avoid traffic and get home at a reasonable time). He found that leaving only a 1/2 hour later in the morning would put him in heavier traffic, especially if it was raining.

I don't know if you have children. The schools, from what I hear/have researched, are average to below average, depending on which schools you are assigned to. Our base elementary school is Vance Elementary. I hear 50/50 things about it. I've heard that the other area base school, Willow Springs Elementary, is a nice little school, although this year due to budget cuts and such they've made some changes that parents are on the fence about (combining age groups in the classroom, etc.). Our base middle school is East Garner (BAD reputation) and Fuquay-Varina High School (just an "eh" rep). For various personal reasons we are looking into private elementary school for our son. There aren't any private schools really close-by. Closest ones with a nice reputation are Wake Christian Academy and Cathedral School (Catholic).

Closest mall is Cary Towne Center (about 25-30 min drive).

You'd be about equidistant between Fuquay and 40/42 grocery shopping. 40/42 area has the new WalMart and a Food Lion. There is a Lowes Foods at the corner of 50 and 42.

Nearest library is Southeast Regional in Garner. Not the best area and the librarian there told me they have a police officer on duty there due to problems with gang members acting up in the library. Still, the library has a decent-enough collection.

Also, Willow Spring(s) crosses both Wake and Johnston counties (same zip code, though), so be aware of that when looking at houses. We have friends who live on the Johnston County side of WS. The schools on that side have a nice reputation---we have two teacher friends who work in schools in that area.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope this helps...

ETA: You asked if lots of young families live here. It's hard for me to answer that with any authority---the area is so spread out and my son is not in elementary school yet, so I only can speak about our development and the few we investigated when looking to buy a home 4 years ago.

Not sure what your budget is, but I would check out the following subdivisions that seem to be family-friendly (all on the Wake Co side of WS): Landingham, Ogburn Farms, Kendall Hills, Meadow Stream Hills.

Johnston Co. side, only S/D I'm familiar with that is family-friendly is Walton Springs.

Last edited by janny; 10-01-2009 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: added info about s/d's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Willow Spring was subject to the school shuffle. I thought they would be going to Willow Spring elem, and Fuquay middle and high. Since garner schools are in the mix, that will eliminate Willow Spring for me. I'm not crazy about Garner schools.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:53 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,630 times
Garner schools only apply if you live in Wake County. Cross the county line and there half a dozen Johnston County schools in the mix!

Old 10-01-2009, 10:37 AM

306 posts, read 883,366 times
Anywhere in Wake Co. can be subjected to the school shuffle. We have a Fuquay address. We moved here almost 3 years ago in dec. of 2006. Our base was Willow Springs, which was a traditional schedule. In 2007 Willow Springs elementary became year-round. Then, in 2008 we were redistricted and now Banks elementary is our base school (also year-round). For what it's worth, Willow Springs elementary has a good rep.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
Default Willow Spring-Johnston county

I live in WS but in Johnston County. We are very happy here. My husband works in downtown Raleigh and he leaves around 6:30am (usually earlier)to get to work by 7am. Somebody mentioned Walton Springs and that is exactly where we live. Great subdivision! The elementary school is Dixon Road and we have been pleased with it.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:38 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
It only took 8 minutes to get to Harris Teeter and 8 min to get to starbucks/applebees, etc.
This is funny. People who move to Downtown Raleigh like to point out that the nearest Applebee's is an eight minute drive away. But for them, all the better if it were even further away!

Now that I think about it, there are two Applebee's restaurants inside the Beltline. That's kind of a good rebuttle for anyone proclaiming ITB a bastian of culture and sophistication. It just ain't. It has two Applebee's. So there.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 PM

393 posts, read 673,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
Now that I think about it, there are two Applebee's restaurants inside the Beltline. That's kind of a good rebuttle for anyone proclaiming ITB a bastian of culture and sophistication. It just ain't.
Good point. I agree with you.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:33 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
We do it everyday from Willow Spring (Johnston County) not bad at all It take us about 45 min I work near the RBC center Old Stage Rd to 401 to Saunders to Western Blvd....

Old 10-02-2009, 04:41 PM

They are building a new Applebee's near Wal-Mart 40/42 yeaaah !

Old 10-02-2009, 04:48 PM

We do it everyday from Willow Spring (Johnston County) not bad at all It take us about 45 min I work near the RBC center Old Stage Rd to 401 to Saunders to Western Blvd....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary