U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:49 PM

744 posts, read 1,923,495 times

Advertisements

We drove over to Willow Spring (panther lake road area), and timed it from Willow Spring to Saunders street near downtown Raleigh (Dorthea Dix area). It only took us 25 minutes and we were going slightly slow so we wouldn't miss turns. I figured it would take more like 40 min. We took panther lake road to Hilltop and then hilltop to Hwy 401. It only took 8 minutes to get to Harris Teeter and 8 min to get to starbucks/applebees, etc. Does anyone know what the traffic is like on HWY 401 at 7:00 am in the morning and 4:00 in the afternoon? We saw tons of ponds on this drive, it does seem like a beautiful area...but not as "far out" as I had previously thought.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:34 PM

892 posts, read 2,991,354 times
Willow Spring is generally 20 minutes from downtown. 401 is going to be a mess at 7 AM but there are plenty of alternate routes available.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 PM

425 posts, read 1,190,247 times
I'm only 15 miles from downtown Apex, and maybe 16 or 17 from shopping in Cary. I agree that Willow Spring is not far at all, and I really like the drive into downtown on 401. Great area to live in, if I do say so myself! And i agree, there are several ways to get places besides taking 401 all the time.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM

393 posts, read 601,908 times
[quote=mjohnson185;10945939]We drove over to Willow Spring (panther lake road area), and timed it from Willow Spring to Saunders street near downtown Raleigh (Dorthea Dix area). It only took us 25 minutes and we were going slightly slow so we wouldn't miss turns. I figured it would take more like 40 min. We took panther lake road to Hilltop and then hilltop to Hwy 401. It only took 8 minutes to get to Harris Teeter and 8 min to get to starbucks/applebees, etc. Does anyone know what the traffic is like on HWY 401 at 7:00 am in the morning and 4:00 in the afternoon? We saw tons of ponds on this drive, it does seem like a beautiful area...but not as "far out" as I had previously thought.[/quote]

I am so glad you discovered for yourself the area is not too far out at all. It is not at all the distance that some people like to keep saying. It is certainly beautiful country and the traffic will be a none issue for you at that time. You can either take 401 or come over to the next road, which is Lake Wheeler. Lake Wheeler will have less traffic for you.

Which neighborhood are you looking at?

I think the entire area down this way is getting more of a look from people that want more than the more urban core areas can offer and don't want the tight lots & high prices of Cary & Raleigh.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM

We drove through Honeycutt Landing. Probably will move to Holly Springs in the Spring though...Honeycutt is a new community and that makes me nervous since there are only 5 homes sold. I will say that the subdivision is really nice...Lake/pond view from most of the homes being built now, less than 240,000 in price, only county taxes, homes with lots of features like granite, tile, hardwood, sealed crawl spaces (the works really), will have a pool. There is firestation less than a mile away and we did hear a firetruck, but it wasn't that loud at all...no cars, no sounds, just geese and a heron at the pond. We may look at it again in the spring when we are ready to move. We timed the drive from the subdivision itself.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
I'm only 15 miles from downtown Apex, and maybe 16 or 17 from shopping in Cary. I agree that Willow Spring is not far at all, and I really like the drive into downtown on 401. Great area to live in, if I do say so myself! And i agree, there are several ways to get places besides taking 401 all the time.
Is it a generally safe area? Are there a lot of young families that live there?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:48 PM

9,745 posts, read 28,592,893 times
I would time the drive during the hours you expect to commute. I drove out that way recently during off peak hours and agree it can be an easy drive. On the other hand I have a coworker who lives in Willow Spring and works with me in Downtown Raleigh and she reports that it regularly takes her 45 minutes to make the drive during typical rush hour times.

I'm glad you like the area. Good Luck with your move! Again no matter where you decide to go, test the commute during the times you plan to be driving to work. Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,655,063 times
The sprawl from Raleigh disappears very quickly as you head due south. For example if you drive Lake Wheeler Road, there's very little except farmland once you cross Tryon Road, merely 3 miles from the center of town.

15 miles West or North still lands you in the middle of North Raleigh or West Cary.
Even 15 miles east you're just in Wendell.

But 15 miles south of downtown takes you miles out into the country. Clearly, if you want to feel far out, but be physically pretty close, South is the direction to go!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:22 PM

393 posts, read 601,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The sprawl from Raleigh disappears very quickly as you head due south. For example if you drive Lake Wheeler Road, there's very little except farmland once you cross Tryon Road, merely 3 miles from the center of town.

15 miles West or North still lands you in the middle of North Raleigh or West Cary.
Even 15 miles east you're just in Wendell.

But 15 miles south of downtown takes you miles out into the country. Clearly, if you want to feel far out, but be physically pretty close, South is the direction to go!
We see the same thing. You can still access everything extremely easily.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-01-2009 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Deleted off topic comments

Old 09-30-2009, 05:38 PM

425 posts, read 1,190,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
We see the same thing. You can still access everything extremely easily.
I couldn't agree more or have said it better!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-01-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary