Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2007, 06:49 AM

149 posts, read 774,041 times

Advertisements

I personally think this school issue will get resolved without split schedules, etc. However, while that is pending...how do you think this affects people trying to sell their houses in this area. I know not everyone that moves here has children or is interested in the schools but I am wondering how it could affect people like me trying to sell.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 06:52 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
I personally think this school issue will get resolved without split schedules, etc. However, while that is pending...how do you think this affects people trying to sell their houses in this area. I know not everyone that moves here has children or is interested in the schools but I am wondering how it could affect people like me trying to sell.......

I have had a couple of clients who were set on moving here, loved the area, came down and looked at many houses then finally said, we cannot afford private schools, can't get into a charter this year, we are not moving because the public school situation is too much to deal with. So, I am sure I am not the only person who has had clients in that siutation. I think it is affecting everyone.

Leigh

Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Forgive my naiveté but isn't the school growth issue localized in terms of it effecting subsets of Wake County? All of the areas we'd looked at the schools were stable and the lines clearly drawn. We had no doubt as to which school our children would be attending.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
All of the areas we'd looked at the schools were stable and the lines clearly drawn. We had no doubt as to which school our children would be attending.
But what about next year. . . . or the year after that?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:03 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
The lines may be clearly drawn one day and re-drawn the next. Ask the 1000's of families whose neighborhoods have been reassigned over the last few years. IMO, there is no guarantee of stability when it comes to Wake County schools.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 PM

23 posts, read 155,320 times
This is truly unfortunate and puts many families in a state of limbo. I am okay with either year round schools or traditional. I don't yet live in the area, but its the uncertainty and changes from 1 year to the next that I am concerned about most. How can families properly plan work/school/parenting responsibilies?

Old 05-05-2007, 09:17 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
If you move into a node that goes to YR school as a base, you will likely not be reassigned while your children are in school. You need to pay cloase attention to the WCPSS site, look very closely at schools, which ones are over crowded, which ones have a high %age of free and reduced lunch (more than 35%) which ones have extremley low %age of free and reduced lunch (less than 20%). These are schools which will eventually face reassignments. Find a school which is underenrolled and has a good diveristy balance and you'll probably be OK. I have 2 kids in school one is 13 years old and we've never been reassigned, so it can be done, but then again, it does happen.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,466 times
We are thinking of moving there. And because of the school system in Wake County, we are opting to live in Clayton. At least it has a traditional school calendar and the schools are just as good if not better then Wake County. Wake County seems to have good schools and bad. However, I do not like the idea of year round schooling, split schedules, etc. I do not like the fact that my son can be taking out of his school and relocated to another one. I think the future of Wake schools is still shaky with the influx of people coming in. All of my family is in NY and NJ, therefore I am looking forward to having the summers off to visit family. Seeming in NY it snows from Nov-Apr, and it is hard to make it up there during that time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary