Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2007, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 34,733 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

I hope you can give me some info on RENTING in Raleigh or Durham for places that would be friendly and conducive to retirees. I would love to hear from any retirees out there, although I know there are not many my age who use computers the way my husband and I do. We are white northerners who have been living in Richmond, VA for 18 yrs. Before that, we lived in Arlington, VA (close to D.C.) for many years. We just retired and want to move south - but not to FL! The thing is, we don't want to buy a house or a condo. We are life-long renters. The complex we live in now is as follows: 2BR,1&1/2BA, 760 sq. ft. It is an older complex (1973) but is well maintained. The management does thorough background checks on all potential tenants. If you or your kids are problems, you are gone by the end of the month. The quality of the tenant - not just the credit score, is important here. We pay $755/ mo. and our annual rent increases have always been $15/mo - except for one year when gas increases forced them to raise by $20 and they sent a letter of apology! Gas heat is included in the rent. We pay ONLY electric - nothing else. This complex is family owned and both employees and family members live here. We have NO roaches or other bugs. There is plenty of parking, but we are within walking distance to a major mall and grocery shopping. There are monthly meet-your-neighbors casual dinners (pizza) sponsored by the management at the clubhouse. There is a nice pool. Police are given a discount to live here and it is very safe to walk anywhere at any hour on the grounds. Pets are allowed. The complex is about 50% retirees, 25% single professionals and people with teens, and 25% young marrieds with toddlers who leave as soon as they can buy a house. We have lived here for 7 years. Many have lived here 10,15 and 20 years. 25-30% are minority tenants.

I know we have a good deal here. Is it possible to get as good a deal in Raleigh, Durham or nearby? We can pay a higher rent plus heat, but I am particularly worried about rates of annual rent increases. Because we are on a fixed income, I cannot pay more than the national rate of inflation. We need a place that places a value on keeping good tenants.

Looking forward to all replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary