Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I am doing some searching online to find a play to take my wife to this weekend (Sat Oct 3rd). I am open to anything playing in any part of the Triangle whether it be at a local college or a professional theater. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,209 times
Not a play, but Carolina Ballet is performing its final weekend of Swan Lake in the Fletcher Theatre of the Progress Energy Center downtown. Wonderful, dramatic full-length story ballet with beautiful music.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Nothing this week since their school only recently started but UNC SA, the college formerly known as NC School of the Arts puts on many plays as well as musical events during the year. Looks like the first play is in late OCTOBER. It is not a bad drive at all from Raleigh and the talent is superb.

Here is their performance calendar.

Performances | Home Page

Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I also suggest the Carolina Ballet.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Any time you want to know what's happening in theater in the Triangle, check out The Upstager.
The Upstager
Looks like there's a good variety of shows this weekend. If you want to catch the last chance this year to see some outdoor theater, you can catch "Midsummer" at Bond Park. If you prefer your Shakespeare indoors, there's "Taming of the Shrew" in Holly Springs. There are a couple of improv shows out there is that strikes your fancy, as well as a couple of musical comedies ("Altar Boys" at RLT or the touring production of "Grease" at the DPAC).

The two shows that are tempting me the most this weekend are "Opus" at Playmakers Rep and the staged reading of "The Rule of Fate" at Manbites Dog. I have an odd fascination with staged readings, so that might not appeal to everyone.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:35 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Altar Boyz opens tomorrow at Raleigh Little Theatre. It looks like a lot of fun; we're planning to go at some point during their run.

BTW, tickets for the first Sunday (this Sunday) are only $10 each. I love Raleigh Little Theatre.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
Not a play, but Carolina Ballet is performing its final weekend of Swan Lake in the Fletcher Theatre of the Progress Energy Center downtown. Wonderful, dramatic full-length story ballet with beautiful music.
I'm a purist. I hate, hate, hate what Robert Weiss has done to this beautiful ballet. IMO, by tossing out the traditional choreography and substituting his own dreck, he ruined it. So if you're familiar with Swan Lake, don't go expecting to see the traditional choreography.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:12 PM

473 posts, read 1,517,880 times
The Indy lists:

A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Sertoma Ampitheatre in Cary
The Taming of the Shrew at Bare Theatre in Holly Springs
Opus at UNC Center for Dramatic Art
Altar Boyz at Raleigh Little Theatre

Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
Quote:
'm a purist. I hate, hate, hate what Robert Weiss has done to this beautiful ballet. IMO, by tossing out the traditional choreography and substituting his own dreck, he ruined it. So if you're familiar with Swan Lake, don't go expecting to see the traditional choreography.
Well, here is one ballet fan that likes Weiss's new choreography. I also like the traditional, but there is nothing wrong with a new interpretation. Also, understand that to do the traditional choreography, you need a HUGE company....which costs a ton. The Carolina Ballet is simply not that large and, especially in this economy, for an arts group to hire that many extra dancers would not have been possible. So Weiss, after years of not doing Swan Lake for that reason, got the idea to do this version....it is based on a beautiful book's interpretive drawings (can't remember the book) and I think it is beautiful.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:45 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Any time you want to know what's happening in theater in the Triangle, check out The Upstager.
The Upstager
Looks like there's a good variety of shows this weekend. If you want to catch the last chance this year to see some outdoor theater, you can catch "Midsummer" at Bond Park. If you prefer your Shakespeare indoors, there's "Taming of the Shrew" in Holly Springs. There are a couple of improv shows out there is that strikes your fancy, as well as a couple of musical comedies ("Altar Boys" at RLT or the touring production of "Grease" at the DPAC).

The two shows that are tempting me the most this weekend are "Opus" at Playmakers Rep and the staged reading of "The Rule of Fate" at Manbites Dog. I have an odd fascination with staged readings, so that might not appeal to everyone.
Thanks for the link! We are headed to see Midsummer" at Bond Park. Should be a great night for an outdoor theater!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary