Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Clayton: wooded lots, schools, open neighborhoods, cape cod style

Old 05-05-2007, 05:39 PM

95 posts, read 286,584 times

Advertisements

I wanted to post yesterday, but the laptop would not cooperate.

Anyway, yesterday morning hubby went for a job interview. They offered him a job for WAAAAYYYYY less than he is making now. We can't just do it on that amount, even if cost of living is less here. So, we will keep looking.

We headed to Durham to visit the Museum of Life and Science. My son loved it. We enjoyed the break of riding the train through the "woods". It's a great place to take kids. As we were headed back to our hotel, we went through the Trinity part of Durham. I believe that is what I saw. I love those homes. Is it going through a revitalization right now? I hope so! That would be an awesome area if cleaned up and a lot of the homes restored.

Today we headed out to look at Fuquay, Holly Springs and again, Clayton. We went to Fuquay through Garner. Parts of Garner were really pretty. GREEN, which I loved. I just don't think we'd move there because of schools.

Fuquay was nice. A bit busy in places but not bad. What I noticed in this area in general is that, although there is traffic, it does not feel hectic and stressed. In California it is busy and much of it feels like people are hostile and angry. I don't get that impression here. I didn't even see any tailgating.

Anyway, back to Fuquay. We checked out areas around schools. First was Ballentine Elementary. Nice school. There were nice houses around it. What I didn't like was the openness around the houses. I don't like neighbors being able to check out my business! Not that I'm doing anything ornery or anything , I just don't like the openness. Next we checked out Fuquay Varina Elementary. It seemed pretty nice. Had a small park in the back.
There was a subdivision close by (Miller's Creek) that had my dream homes (yes HOMES!) Beautiful wooded lots, colonial, cape cod style houses. Way out of our price range I'm sure. I can dream, though

On our travels we also checked out Willow Springs Elementary. Just too rural.

We went into Clayton and checked out some subdivisions off of 70 behind the Wal Mart (West Clayton Elementary, I believe). They were in our price range. Some nice wooded lots. I remember the names Lee Forest and White Oak Plantation. One was in the Cleveland Elementary area.

We've decided Clayton will be the place for us. We won't be looking for a new home. We just don't like the styles, lots, etc. We'll probably buy a house built in the 1980s-1990s. We may have to put some work into it, updating. That's okay, though. I'd rather be in a house where we'd want to be and do the work.

Tomorrow we hope to attend a church in Raleigh then head out for a day at New Hope Valley Railroad for my son.

I am seeing double! 7 hours riding in a car befuddles the mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 07:35 PM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
Hey...congrats on deciding on an area. For us, that was the hardest part. And a big fat WELCOME TO CLAYTON! We looked at Lee Forest too. Ultimately, it came down to that sub and the one we're in now. The particular house we looked at was a bit over our price range with a smaller lot but oh so beautiful.

I find that my neighbors and I are always in each othes' homes saying, "I just love that about YOUR house, wish I had that in mine". LOL....you just can't get everything you want no matter what you do.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Lauren

Old 05-05-2007, 08:02 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
SO Clayton it is! You did not mention your impression of Holly Springs?

Old 05-06-2007, 05:56 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Three b's;
I am so glad you have chosen Clayton, that is such a nice area. How was the church you visited?? Where was it??? What was it called???

Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary