Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:30 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times

Advertisements

We visited the same neighborhoods as last year. Falls Preserve, Rose Hill, River Run, stuff in those areas. We looked at Hasentree last year, but I'm not going out there this year. I mainly wanted to see what was new and interesting, but most of these homes are the same as last year, which makes sense since they are just derivatives of homes built last year - just a lot of oil-rubbed-bronze!!! I'm sick and tired of oil-rubbed-bronze. It reminds me of Medieval days. There was one home in Rose Hill that had a more modern look with brushed nickel everywhere and a modern, clean-lined kitchen. Very simple.

I took my camera to see if anyone had any interesting landscaping or fall plantings. That's what I'm interested in this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 PM

393 posts, read 673,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The N&O site lists 166 homes.
WRAL now has it down to 144.

I think that may actually be good news, as it probably means there is less new home inventory on the market.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
I'm sick and tired of oil-rubbed-bronze. It reminds me of Medieval days. There was one home in Rose Hill that had a more modern look with brushed nickel everywhere and a modern, clean-lined kitchen. Very simple.
Very interesting you mentioned this. I recently met a decorator who told me that oil rubbed bronze is quickly going out of fashion...that everything is going to be clean, sleek with lots of bright chrome coming back into fashion. She even said not to be surprised if "brass" bathroom fixtures come back!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-04-2009 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Fixed the coding on your quote

Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Very interesting you mentioned this. I recently met a decorator who told me that oil rubbed bronze is quickly going out of fashion...that everything is going to be clean, sleek with lots of bright chrome coming back into fashion. She even said not to be surprised if "brass" bathroom fixtures come back!
Brass and chrome. YUK!!!!

We went to several homes yesterday and none had brass or chrome. Even if those awful choices were to come "back in fashion", we would have no part of it. We never follow fads or fashion. Way back in the day when brass was "the thing", we stripped it all out and put oil rubbed bronze in. That's our number one choice and we pick what "we" like, not what the fashion statement of the day is. I think these builders and manufactures constantly change what the so called fad is simply to sell more product. Lots of people will replace items just to keep up with the Jones'. Very silly indeed.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Of course, the designers have to change things up a bit. Otherwise, how would they sell their products?

ALL fashion changes. If not, would we need to shop? If long skirts were "in" and stayed "in", how would the fashion folks make any money?

Funny thing about brass is that you don't see historic homes being changed to brushed nickel just because it is the "in" thing!

Vicki

Old 10-04-2009, 11:24 AM

UGH!!! I just checked out the last Parade Home in my own neighborhood and they did indeed put bright shiny chrome everywhere.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:26 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
I noted some repeat homes in the Parade now have finished basements ... the "old timey" glass doorknobs are also making a comeback.

Frank

Old 10-04-2009, 02:37 PM

206 posts, read 746,975 times
Default Parade of Homes

Did anyone see anything in any of the homes they toured that they were impressed with? We saw a few this weekend in Weycroft and Highcroft Village but nothing stood out as impressive or different IMO. We went to these neighborhoods because they are closest to where we are renting but would really travel anywhere to see a house with interesting features. So if something wowed you what was it and where? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:41 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
There were way less houses in the Parade this year than last year. I spoke with a realtor and he said that the builders are having a hard time getting loans. He feels by Spring there will be very few new construction homes on the market and he feels that will increase their price. Meanwhile he said there are too many resales on the market and he thought they were going to have to come down in price.

Last edited by KellyCrash; 10-04-2009 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 04:44 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayandtom View Post
Did anyone see anything in any of the homes they toured that they were impressed with? We saw a few this weekend in Weycroft and Highcroft Village but nothing stood out as impressive or different IMO.
I was not impressed, but I did only visit the same neighborhoods I went to last year so this year's Parade offerings were just a remnant of last year's designs. Nothing new. I was amazed by the number of homes at $1M+ that had solid surface and, ugly, IMHO, vanities in the secondary bathrooms (one was pinkish and with scalloped edges). Not quite as bad as cultured marble, but reminds me of of some cheap motel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary