Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,206 times

Advertisements

Many of the higher priced homes this year were the same homes from last year that still haven't sold. In the ones that weren't, the finishes, appliances, trim work were no where near what the builders were putting out there 2-3 years ago. There was no great incentive to buy a parade home than any other new home in my eyes. Ho hum seemed to be the theme of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM

192 posts, read 437,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayandtom View Post
Did anyone see anything in any of the homes they toured that they were impressed with?
the less expenisvie house in trenton place (back to umstead park) has a very nice first floor design. almost perfect combination of indoor and outdoor living.

The smaller bedrooms on the second floor need more work

Old 10-05-2009, 07:16 AM

363 posts, read 1,212,234 times
unfortunately this is all sign of the times. most of the homes available are regular spec houses or houses that have already been built and not sold... so no "parade goodies" as my previous builder used to call them. the parade worked well in the boom years, builders could throw in 10-50k worth of "goodies" depending on price point and it was good marketing given they'd probably sell the house straight away during the event.

remember the two of the most expensive houses from the 2007 parade in hasentree went into foreclosure on their builders recently. really is not a good time for this.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 AM

351 posts, read 770,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Many of the higher priced homes this year were the same homes from last year that still haven't sold. In the ones that weren't, the finishes, appliances, trim work were no where near what the builders were putting out there 2-3 years ago. There was no great incentive to buy a parade home than any other new home in my eyes. Ho hum seemed to be the theme of the day.
Higher prices, less features - this has definitely been a trend that started before the "crash" last year.

The other advice I can offer, based on experience, is not to judge a builder based on their parade homes. Ask for references of actual homeowners who can attest to the quality of their work in "regular" houses and how well they support their workmanship warranty. I learned the hard way.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:43 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Agree - we saw a house on the parade at The Parks at West Lake that we quite liked. After doing a little research we found that this house has been sitting on the market for close to a year and is having problems selling due to its proximity to the water treatment plant.

I know it is not in this Parade, but the best new construction we have seen under 400K was in Glen Laurel (Clayton). With Brighton Forest a close second.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 AM

513 posts, read 1,604,898 times
Brighton Forest is a gorgeous neighborhood with awesome houses....cheap because it is way the hell out there.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Brighton Forest is about 2 minutes from The Parks at West Lake (Cary) - not as out there as some might think.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I would LOVE for builders to be able to purchase land that isn't terribly expensive to build smaller homes, loaded with upgrades like hardwoods, tile floors, granite, etc. And when they build them in North Raleigh, I may be the first to buy, along with about 6 of my clients that want the same thing!

Banks are no longer loaning builders money to build spec homes. We are going to see less new homes being built, which will help the standing inventory and could be a very good thing for sellers. In this area, new construction has always out sold existing, even though new is usually more money.

I'm glad, even in this economy, that the Parade of Homes wasn't cancelled. I have Parade Books going back many many years and would hate to not have one for this year!

Vicki

Old 10-05-2009, 10:28 AM

513 posts, read 1,604,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
Brighton Forest is about 2 minutes from The Parks at West Lake (Cary) - not as out there as some might think.
even the PatWL is out there...therefore you get better deals

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM

192 posts, read 437,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I would LOVE for builders to be able to purchase land that isn't terribly expensive to build smaller homes, loaded with upgrades like hardwoods, tile floors, granite, etc. And when they build them in North Raleigh, I may be the first to buy, along with about 6 of my clients that want the same thing!

Vicki
that is exactly what we want. smaller but loaded houses in North Raleigh.

I am wonderring why the builders can not get the message and build houses buyers and realtors want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary