Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:54 PM

238 posts, read 669,226 times

Advertisements

When I say "venue" I mean the stadium and the area surrounding the stadium, more specifically the ability to enter and exit the stadium parking lots via automobile.

Hopefully that clarifies things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 05:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
There are some funny comments on the WRAL site about the U2 traffic story. Here are two from a concert goers who have little sympathy for those who arrived late. I didn't go the concert, but clearly not every one who left after 5pm had such a hard time getting there.

From the WRAL website:

"My husband and I found out we could go to the show at 4 pm. We had the babysitter at the house by 6 (in fuquay), drove to the bank and the grocery store for pre-concert snacks, and we were in a $10 neighborhood parking spot across from the stadium by 6:45. I have a feeling those complaining either 1)live under a rock and only come out once or twice a year 'to the big city' or 2) are so unfamiliar with Raleigh/Carter Finley and the multiple access points and parking areas, that only ignorance is the driver behind their complaints."

Another poster wrote:

"We live off HWY 98/Falls Lake and left the house at 5:15. Headed down Creedmoor Rd. to Edwards Mill and was in a parking spot by 6pm. I was shocked at how easy it was to get in and I soon realized that most of the cars in line with us had State, Duke, Carolina stickers so obviously locals that knew where they were going. You can't simply blame the HP or venue traffic patrol for "lack of planning." Why would anyone think they can "plan" on arriving at an event such as this shortly before show time and not run into this problem. Perhaps more lots could have been available but poor planning goes both ways in my opinion."

Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM

93 posts, read 164,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
You guys truly crack me up at times. So either we have to show up at 3pm and tailgate for 5 hours, or we have to sit in 4 hours of traffic and miss the show.

Here are some specifics on what could have been done better:

1. PARKING SPACES RAN OUT. So someone did not realise there would be more cars than spaces. Poor planning. They should have known and made arrangements to increase parking, maybe sharing with other areas locally, opening up fields etc. They should have allocated people in different sections to different car parks. So everyone in section 1-8 goes to park A, 9-16 park B etc. Real rocket science stuff.

2. On approach in from Edward Mills where ALL cars were going in only two lanes were open in the IN direction. They have ability to up this to 5 by use of the overhead lane open/closed signs. Maybe 4 in 1 out would make some sense with traffic backed up 5 miles down I-40????

3. Better policing of entrances/exits. For example as we left there was nobody controlling the exit. So thousands of people walking past the exit and you just had to push and honk your way out. Very dangerous for the people walking past and slowing the traffic coming out to a halt. Let me conjour up some more rocket science - maybe a cop or two to tell traffic to stop for 2 minutes to let people cross, then stop them, then let cars out for 2 minutes? Wow this is so complex

4. Never mind the traffic the stadium itself was damn dangerous. We were in section 8 and when leaving (at the end of the show - wow what a crazy idea, to leave at the END of the show after it's finished) exits were completely blocked. When we got out from the stands lo and behold everyone was being funnelled into a couple of tiny exits. If there had been a fire god help all of us

NRG, Vicki et al you weren't there and did not see how badly organised this Moderator cut: language show was. Shame as it really took away from what should have been a great coup for Raleigh. However it does seem clear from responses that they were happy to make their $4m and never mind that people could not see the show. Would have been better off in Charlotte that way only 3 hours to get there instead of the 4 hours it took folks from Chapel Hill.

Also this whole thing about roads can only handle so much traffic... fair enough but in most places authorities have learned to deal with it. Shutting down roads, redirecting traffic, opening things up etc most areas are able to deal with it. I was truly stunned to see how poorly managed this was

Last but not least... I got lucky, we got in with 10 minutes to spare. But the attitude on this board truly sucks as most folks are like you didn't show up 5 hours before concert starts, and I got in on time, so who cares if you missed it's your own fault. Again I don't think anyone other than those that actually sat through it realised how bad it was and how frankly avoidable the whole thing could have been.

RANT OVER!
I went to the show and I'm going to specifically respond to your post. Just to preface. We left for the concert at about 4:45 coming from Cary. We took 54, to Trinity. The line to get into the lot (the lot you access from Trinity) started at the light (where Backyard Bistro is). It took about 20 mins to get into the lot, another 20 mins to get to our seats. We were sitting down comfortably at 5:50PM. I remember mentioning how weird it was that the stadium even at that time was fairly empty but I figured there was alot of tailgaters

1. I agree with you that there should have been more than enough parking available. Usually what other places do in is there are alot of private lots where people park so the problem takes care of itself. As far as doing it by section, I don't think I've been to any stadium or arena ANYWHERE where they do that. I think the logistics of coordinating something like that would be a bigger nightmare.

2. Not all cars were coming in from Edwards Mill (we weren't) but I get your point. They may have made a different but it wouldn't have solved the issue of them running out of spots

3. There were people (parking lot attendants and highway patrol) where our lot was, but only at the entrance. It still made no difference getting out. I think there should of been better coordination 'inside' the lot as it is when you get there. There was also police presence at the intersection of Trinity and Edwards Mill.

4. I'm confused what you mean by 'only a few exits' because I didn't see any logjam at any of the exits (we left at the end) and we had to go completly to the opposite side of the stadium because that was where we were parked.

I guess in the end I'll say it's unfortunate that people arrived late or missed it entirely. With a little early planning and perhaps alternate routing, some people may have had some better fortune.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM

238 posts, read 669,226 times
I guess the thousands of people stuck on 40 and abandoning their cars are not nearly as bright and informed as those people. I mean, seriously if they were this situation never would have happened.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,102 times
wondering if U2 are responsible for paying all the security/police and parking attendants?

it is kind of odd, but i just read in the newspaper from my native country , U2 was chided for creating a huge mess with their ticket sales . it was somehow U2's responsiblity.

there was a printed apology from the band.

perhaps they wanted to get as much money as possible out of their tour and keeps the outside staff to a bare minimum?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:50 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post

Here are some specifics on what could have been done better:

1. PARKING SPACES RAN OUT. So someone did not realise there would be more cars than spaces. Poor planning. They should have known and made arrangements to increase parking, maybe sharing with other areas locally, opening up fields etc. They should have allocated people in different sections to different car parks. So everyone in section 1-8 goes to park A, 9-16 park B etc. Real rocket science stuff.
I had been told at one point that parking would be done this way but I am glad it wasn't, I can imagine how much worse it would have been with parking lot attendants checking tickets to insure people were headed to the "correct" lot. I think it's best to look at the map of the venue and your seats, and then plan your route accordingly.

I read the stories of running out of spaces. As someone else mentioned, there have been plenty of other shows there and events coinciding for larger numbers of people in the area like the fair and a UNC/NCSU game. I'm not sure why they would run out of parking unless some of the public spaces were taken by the massive number of trucks hauling the stage. I saw that they were parked near the stadium, I just didn't pay any attention to where they were actually parked. That is definitely a SNAFU on someones behalf.

Sounds like someone dropped the ball on that aspect of planning, it's a shame. But I also come from the stand point that it's better to anticipate issues and make it to venues very early and wait in comfort at your tailgate rather than in your car or truck on the interstate.

It sucks, but you have to plan for how things *might* be rather than how they should be.

I do think it would be advisable that someone take a look at what REALLY happened and how things might have been done differently to prevent such issues in the future. That won't be much solace to anyone who paid anywhere from $60 - $260 for a ticket and missed some or all of the show, but it's the least that could be done.

To think, I had a buddy complaining about my chosen time to shoot for arrival at the field (4:00pm) There were 9 of us and he was contemplating going much later until he realized the rest of the group was cool with 4. Good thing he opted to meet when I said.

Last edited by tlh1005; 10-04-2009 at 07:18 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 07:03 PM

53 posts, read 137,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Extremely well said Vicki!
Yes, very well said. Sometimes things just come down to personal responsibility and planning.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I guess I would like to hear how people think the traffic should have been handled differently. The roads can only handle so many cars at one time. What could the planners of this event have done differently? From the sound of the people posting on this forum it sounds like those who planned ahead and got there ealry made out well, while those who left at 5pm thinking the trip would only take 20 minutes were dissapointed to find themselves trapped in gridlock with like minded people. While I am sure that was a major dissapointment, I fail to see what could have been done differently by the oraganizers of the event.
I agree with you, and I want to point out that opening parking at 3:00 was a smart idea. Concert-goers aren't EXPECTED to be there that early, but it's a good suggestion to avoid these things.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
cry me a river. for the people that say they wont attend a concert next time...great, better seats for the rest of us. nothing is perfect. we were very lucky to get u2 and i am grateful they picked Raleigh.
Perfect!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
Gang no mass transit, roads not big enough to handle the amount of traffic. This place is too small for the amount of cars . Again No buses, no trains, Its a mess and the area might be fun to live in but the lack of mass transit will hurt over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary