Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 PM

351 posts, read 770,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Raleigh is #8 on this one.

bizjournals: Brainpower rankings of 100 top metros (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/163.html - broken link)
They didn't combine Durham as the Daily Beast did -- if you use two cities ya get more voters and more people buying non-fiction books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:29 PM

39 posts, read 91,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Getting a Phd is more a matter of perservence than IQ, in many fields not at all difficult ,in some of the Humanities very hard.
You must be a humanities PhD.

I would argue that a PhD indicates a combination of intelligence and perseverance. Someone with intelligence but little perseverance will have the capacity, but not the drive, to finish a PhD. In contrast, an extremely hard worker who lacks the intellectual ability to synthesize a broad body of research and make an original contribution (the definition of a PhD) is unlikely to complete the degree.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM

174 posts, read 407,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Just saw this listing...
F,

I thought you were too smart to start a thread like this...

Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM

351 posts, read 770,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
Since when are transplants welcomed with open arms?
By builders -- up until they cash your check

Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj02000 View Post
You must be a humanities PhD.

I would argue that a PhD indicates a combination of intelligence and perseverance. Someone with intelligence but little perseverance will have the capacity, but not the drive, to finish a PhD. In contrast, an extremely hard worker who lacks the intellectual ability to synthesize a broad body of research and make an original contribution (the definition of a PhD) is unlikely to complete the degree.
I disagee, I've seen many "grinders" complete them and not overly bright folks write down what the rats did.

I had a relative who had an IQ of 99 who had a BA from Wisconsin, Ma's from Indiana and Purdue, and an earned Phd from Chicago in Slavic Studies.
The woman worked 16 hrs a day(hard) 24/7/365.

I know what the definition of a Phd is,but the research unis are more factories than bastions of originality.
The medium IS the message, the two most similar institutions I've been around in my long life are the research unis and the military.
A careerist is a careerist is a ................

Old 10-06-2009, 07:17 AM

39 posts, read 91,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
I had a relative who had an IQ of 99 who had a BA from Wisconsin, Ma's from Indiana and Purdue, and an earned Phd from Chicago in Slavic Studies.
The woman worked 16 hrs a day(hard) 24/7/365.
I thought you said the humanities were the tough PhDs -- wouldn't slavic studies qualify?

Also, IQ is not at all synonymous with intelligence.

Back to the original topic of this post -- I'm sure that the folks at the Daily Beast will tweak their formula next time (like USNews and their college rankings) to make sure that the rankings shift around from year to year. But it's definitely a nice nod of recognition.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Of course, the PhD's and IQ's of Yankees are discounted quite a bit, in case you did not read the fine print.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
I'm not sure what the original point was to this thread, but I think we've lost it. Let's please stop the put-downs, even the ones made in jest. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:37 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Red face Not what I thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Just saw this listing of America's Smartest Cities (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-10-04/americas-smartest-cities---from-first-to-worst/?cid=bs:archive9#gallery=787;page=1;item= - broken link).
When I read the thread title I was thinking of "smart cities"... not smart citizens. Thus I figured with this areas lack of mass transportation, sprawl, and silo mentality of the cities that make up the Triangle that we would be last.

Maybe we can use some of this IQ power and resolve some of these issues and that would not only make us #1 but a category unto ourselves.

Last edited by PDXmom; 10-06-2009 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Maybe we can use some of this IQ power and resolve some of these issues and that would not only make us #1 but a category unto ourselves.
We've got a big IBM presence here, and they're busy creating a smarter planet. Maybe they could run a pilot program and just create a smarter RDU as a test case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary