Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,932,962 times

Advertisements

When do the local towns usually decorate for the holidays? I know it will be different for each one, but just a basic time frame. I love strolling through and admiring the beautiful decorations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,053,427 times
I think town decorations are rather minimal around here; nothing worth a visit. (Anyone, feel free to disagree.)

The malls are decorated; they have the same decorations every year, which are fun to see.

Halloween is also a much bigger deal elsewhere -- as far as decorations -- than here.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I think town decorations are rather minimal around here; nothing worth a visit. (Anyone, feel free to disagree.)

The malls are decorated; they have the same decorations every year, which are fun to see.

Halloween is also a much bigger deal elsewhere -- as far as decorations -- than here.
Really?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Yes, IMHO.

People don't decorate their homes like they do in western NY for Halloween. I used to love Halloween.

They DO decorate quite a bit more for Christmas, though. (Thank goodness!)

But by "towns," did you mean the HOMES or BUSINESSES? I thought you meant like small downtown areas and window decorations. You said "stroll," so I was thinking a small downtown.

Maybe there are more decorations in FL because there are more tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Really?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:14 AM

363 posts, read 1,209,857 times
I thought I saw something on the news about a Rockfeller-style ice rink going in downtown this year but can't find anything on wral or abc11 to back that up!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,489,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
I thought I saw something on the news about a Rockfeller-style ice rink going in downtown this year but can't find anything on wral or abc11 to back that up!
There is normally one in Regency in Cary for Christmas time frame.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,695,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post

Presumably there will now be outdoor rinks at Koka Booth in Cary, North Hills in Raleigh, and on Fayetteville Street next to City Plaza in downtown Raleigh. I want to say that the City Plaza rink will be the largest and will also support a giant Christmas tree.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Yes, IMHO.

People don't decorate their homes like they do in western NY for Halloween. I used to love Halloween.

They DO decorate quite a bit more for Christmas, though. (Thank goodness!)

But by "towns," did you mean the HOMES or BUSINESSES? I thought you meant like small downtown areas and window decorations. You said "stroll," so I was thinking a small downtown.

Maybe there are more decorations in FL because there are more tourists.
I was talking about the downtowns. Any other areas that would be nice to visit?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:50 AM

There used to be drive-through displays of Christmas lights. Don't know if they have those anymore.

Here's info about Raleigh and Christmas. I don't know how old the info is:
raleigh-durham christmas - About.com : Raleigh-Durham

It includes a link to Christmas light displays.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM

220 posts, read 864,022 times
If you love going to see christmas lights, try McAdenville NC. It's a few hours from here (right past Charlotte, so 2-3 hours depending on where you are in the triangle) but it's well worth it! google them; they claim to be christmastown usa. VERY beautiful during the holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary