U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,103,766 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to your thoughts on this? The county is wanting to close 4 mostly volunteer fire stations to save money. Granted all stations on the closure list are located inside Raleigh city limits so coverage will not be an issue. In fact, coverage might actually be better since Raleigh has a fully paid staff which operates 24 hours/day whereas the stations on the closure list are mainly volunteer and only have paid crews during the day. The residents who live in these fire jurisdictions would now also receive city fire protection without having to pay for it!

Here are the locations of the stations:
Bay Leaf - Lynn Rd. @ Lead Mine Rd
Falls - Falls of Neuse Rd. just south of Falls Lake Dam
Wake New Hope - St. James Ch. Rd. near the intersection of New Hope Rd/Louisburg Rd.
Western Wake - District Dr. near Blue Ridge Rd./Wade Ave.- I-40 extension

Four Fire Stations Could Close - Wake County - MyNC.com
http://legeros.com/ralwake/photos/we...10-12-2009.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 07:54 PM

9,792 posts, read 28,873,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Just curious as to your thoughts on this? The county is wanting to close 4 mostly volunteer fire stations to save money. Granted all stations on the closure list are located inside Raleigh city limits so coverage will not be an issue. In fact, coverage might actually be better since Raleigh has a fully paid staff which operates 24 hours/day whereas the stations on the closure list are mainly volunteer and only have paid crews during the day. The residents who live in these fire jurisdictions would now also receive city fire protection without having to pay for it!

Here are the locations of the stations:
Falls - Falls of Neuse Rd. just south of Falls Lake Dam
Wake New Hope - St. James Ch. Rd. near the intersection of New Hope Rd/Louisburg Rd.
Western Wake - District Dr. near Blue Ridge Rd./Wade Ave.- I-40 extension

Four Fire Stations Could Close - Wake County - MyNC.com
http://legeros.com/ralwake/photos/we...10-12-2009.pdf

This is a toughy. My knee jerk reaction is to not see them close, but if the fully staffed lcoation can cover those areas does it make sesne? Will there be an increase in response time? I live down the road from the one on Falls of Neuse Road. I've wondered what would become of that location once the road is widened. It seems like the station is so close to the road. I guess the station on Durant Road would be the next closest one to my house. Is that not a volunteer one as well?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,747,809 times
Well, it looks like they are studying it; they haven't actually made a decision yet.

My dad was a volunteer at Bay Leaf for many years. The station they are discussing is actually the old Six Forks Fire Department station. It must be around 35 years old. I think the Western Wake station is also older. In addition to issues of coverage, I wouldn't be surprised if facilities aren't really built like today's facilities.

There has been a lot of change to the county fire departments as the county as grown. Many of the ones I remember listening to on the radio in my youth are gone: Six Forks, Fairgrounds, YRAC. It's the end of an era, but it doesn't mean it's the wrong thing for the people living there now.

There is great history of the local fire departments here:
Wake County Fire Department Histories

Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
This is a toughy. My knee jerk reaction is to not see them close, but if the fully staffed lcoation can cover those areas does it make sesne? Will there be an increase in response time? I live down the road from the one on Falls of Neuse Road. I've wondered what would become of that location once the road is widened. It seems like the station is so close to the road. I guess the station on Durant Road would be the next closest one to my house. Is that not a volunteer one as well?
I wouldn't imagine there being an increase in response times unless a call came in during the day (there isn't a crew at night or on the weekends) in the neighborhood right behind the station on Falls of Neuse. There is a Raleigh fire station on Durant Rd. and another located in Wakefield so that area is adequately covered.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:46 PM

Wow! So nobody else in this area cares that fire stations are going to be shut down? I guess it's a go for the county.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:50 PM

6,263 posts, read 15,291,858 times
I went to the Bay Leaf open house a few weeks ago.

I would be sad!

My great-uncle used to be fire chief at our local volunteer fire department (up North).

It's sad if a fire department closes. But if they are extraneous -- because a city has grown up around them -- I'd understand.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:17 PM

13,808 posts, read 25,329,738 times
Quote:
Wow! So nobody else in this area cares that fire stations are going to be shut down? I guess it's a go for the county.
In the post above you stated we've got adequate coverage without the additional stations so why keep them? Unless you like paying more in taxes and getting less. Although that's been going on now for awhile.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 23,745,174 times
Quote:
You positioned these closures as a good thing:

Quote:
all stations on the closure list are located inside Raleigh city limits so coverage will not be an issue. In fact, coverage might actually be better since Raleigh has a fully paid staff which operates 24 hours/day whereas the stations on the closure list are mainly volunteer and only have paid crews during the day. The residents who live in these fire jurisdictions would now also receive city fire protection without having to pay for it!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,423,654 times
Quote:
That one is the one I grew up close to. That would stink to see it close...just due to its nostalgic value.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM

401 posts, read 1,556,137 times
When talking about adequate coverage have you considered that most of the areas currently covered by the "volunteer" stations are in non hydranted areas? The city fire department is only equipped to operate using hydrants for water supply. Those of you in the affected areas should really do your homework to see if the county will really be saving you any money.
My thoughts are that they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>