Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 PM

238 posts, read 227,774 times

Advertisements

Okay, where in Raleigh (specific neighborhood names if possible rather than regions) are the "High Crime" areas? I've heard only South East Raleigh so far.

Are there any areas in North Raleigh that one has to be concerned about? How close is North Raleigh to Durham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 06:36 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
Bargainmom,
You really have to check a map. I'm not saying that to be mean, but you do. I know you're really concerned about Durham. I think what you are not getting here is how large Durham is. The distance from one end of Durham to the other is larger than the distance from Cary to Raleigh. It is HUGE. Durham touches Chapel Hill. You cannot tell which part is Durham and which is Chapel Hill--there's not some sort of immediate deterioration there b/c it's "DURHAM". There are large parts of Durham which are farmland. Nothing but horses and farms. There are residential neighborhoods which are as far from the crime-ridden parts of Durham as Cary is from those areas in Raleigh. Chapel Hill is small. It does have some crime, but not as bad as the bad parts of Durham. But Durham is HUGE. The bad parts are in one area. You can drive many many miles from that area and still be in Durham. From the crime-ridden areas, through low crime residential areas, into rolling farmland...still driving...still in Durham. Touching Durham is NOT a problem. Being close to the crime areas of Durham. Yeh, that would be a problem. I wouldn't live anywhere near those areas. But there are parts of durham w/basically NO crime. Those would be the areas around where you are looking outside Durham, and you could cross the line into Durham and not be in a crime ridden area. Not even know you are in Durham! If it's the image of saying "I live in Durham" you don't like, ok, to each his own. But truely, you are worrying WAY too much about Durham. I can't stress enough how large the area is. Check a map and I think you'll understand better how big it is (it's not all a city....it's a whole county!!).

I'm really not saying this to be mean...I just know from your posts you are really concerned about Durham. And if you were considering a dangerous part of the CITY you would have every reason to be. But worrying if Raleigh or Cary touches Durham county? I think there's a misunderstanding you have of how it's laid out...or that maybe you don't know Durham is a whole county, not just a city.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:56 PM

203 posts, read 162,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Bargainmom,
You really have to check a map. I'm not saying that to be mean, but you do. I know you're really concerned about Durham. I think what you are not getting here is how large Durham is. The distance from one end of Durham to the other is larger than the distance from Cary to Raleigh. It is HUGE. Durham touches Chapel Hill. You cannot tell which part is Durham and which is Chapel Hill--there's not some sort of immediate deterioration there b/c it's "DURHAM". There are large parts of Durham which are farmland. Nothing but horses and farms. There are residential neighborhoods which are as far from the crime-ridden parts of Durham as Cary is from those areas in Raleigh. Chapel Hill is small. It does have some crime, but not as bad as the bad parts of Durham. But Durham is HUGE. The bad parts are in one area. You can drive many many miles from that area and still be in Durham. From the crime-ridden areas, through low crime residential areas, into rolling farmland...still driving...still in Durham. Touching Durham is NOT a problem. Being close to the crime areas of Durham. Yeh, that would be a problem. I wouldn't live anywhere near those areas. But there are parts of durham w/basically NO crime. Those would be the areas around where you are looking outside Durham, and you could cross the line into Durham and not be in a crime ridden area. Not even know you are in Durham! If it's the image of saying "I live in Durham" you don't like, ok, to each his own. But truely, you are worrying WAY too much about Durham. I can't stress enough how large the area is. Check a map and I think you'll understand better how big it is (it's not all a city....it's a whole county!!).

I'm really not saying this to be mean...I just know from your posts you are really concerned about Durham. And if you were considering a dangerous part of the CITY you would have every reason to be. But worrying if Raleigh or Cary touches Durham county? I think there's a misunderstanding you have of how it's laid out...or that maybe you don't know Durham is a whole county, not just a city.
That was very well said.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I think she was asking about Raleigh, not Durham.
As far as Raleigh goes, SE Raleigh USED to be that way in general, but it's not so much anymore. There are a lot of nice, new developments and subdivisions in SE raleigh now that have helped deter crime. I also recently read that there are plans to build some new, expensive golf courses and homes in SE Raleigh in the next few years. That are is changing although it does still have it's gritty spots.
I think North Raleigh, around Millbrook/Atlantic Ave/Capitol Blvd are the new crime areas, but I think it's mostly isolated to apartment complexes there. And there are a few Housing projects in downtown Raleigh that used to be really bad, but I think even they have improved drastically.
Crime isn't so much localized here, it' s more spread out, BUT if someone were to ask me where I would NOT want to live, it would be the North Raleigh area I was talking about.
There is a nice police officer that comes on here occassionally, maybe he can share more specific info with you, but he was on her erecently and specifically mentioned the area I was talking about as well as being high crime areas in Raleigh.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:01 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Bargainmom,

Awesome post! I'd give you another point of reputation, but it says I've given you one for something else recently!!

I started my new job in Durham today....the area I am in now, you honestly can't tell it apart from areas of Raleigh.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:01 PM

360 posts, read 720,866 times
As the previous poster said, there is Durham and Durham county. There are parts of Durham and Raleigh that literally touch and Raleigh does spill over into Durham county some. The part that does border Durham is part of North Raleigh. North Raleigh is HUGE though, it spans a long way, from Durham county to practically all the way across the Wake County. So you could still be in North Raleigh and never come close to even being near Durham. As for high crime areas of Raleigh, South East Raleigh is pretty much it. I like in North Raleigh and NEVER hear of any crimes up this way. North Raleigh is mostly high dollar homes, with very few low income areas.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:10 PM

71 posts, read 79,208 times
The crime in Durham is a lot more spread out than you indicate but I do agree that the geography in question is a pretty vast scale and doesn't really have much of anything to do with what parts of Raleigh to avoid.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Bargainmom,

Moderator cut: personal attack

I live in Durham just barely inside the city limits, and I am about 5 minutes from the Raleigh city limits, which would put me in North Raleigh. I have not experienced any crime here. I go to church on the other side of Durham, practically in Chapel Hill, and it takes me about 30 minutes to drive there. Durham is big, and borders on both Chapel Hill and Raleigh depending on which side you are on. For that matter it borders with Hillsborough and Morrisville too. I think you are way too worried about Durham.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:15 PM

238 posts, read 227,774 times
Moderator cut: personal

I am NOT very concerned about Durham. I was asking for particular NEIGHBORHOOD names where there are high crime. In other words neighborhoods that have high crime rates.

I personally will not live in Durham county because I wouldn't even want to live in a COUNTY with high crime. That is why I was trying to figure out if Wake county has more than one "hot spot" for crime.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
I am NOT very concerned about Durham. I was asking for particular NEIGHBORHOOD names where there are high crime. In other words neighborhoods that have high crime rates.

I personally will not live in Durham county because I wouldn't even want to live in a COUNTY with high crime. That is why I was trying to figure out if Wake county has more than one "hot spot" for crime.
Yeah...we have crime in Wake County. We are a CITY...with lots of different people living here.

If you don't want to live in a county with any areas of crime....well....I am not sure what to suggust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary