Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times

Advertisements

If you had the means to produce a documentary, what would you like the documentary to be about?

Is there any aspect of living in the Triangle, or any person or group in the Triangle that has a story that is funny, interesting, or under-represented? And one that would interest a general audience (outside of NC)?

(In other words, is there an untold or unexamined story out there in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, or surrounding areas?)

PM me if you prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
A more in depth look, analysis and history of WCPSS.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:31 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
There are plenty of stories. Off the top of my head

A day in the life of a local community health center (e.g. Lincoln Health or Wake Health Services)

A study of the small local plots of tobacco you see, and how tobacco subsidies and policies inspire local farmers to grow them

A study of the local community farming movement (start with Carolina Farm Stewardship Association) and its growth

An interview with some of the folks who volunteer at Bennett Place and other major local historical sites. What story do they hope to tell?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:56 PM

37 posts, read 215,569 times
As a life time member of the area, I would think it would be very interesting to see how those that have lived here all our lives see the area different, and have adapted to the rapid growth and influx of new residents from around the country. The same perspective from those coming in from around the country would be interesting as well. All the small towns: Fuquay, Cary, Apex, and Garner that were once agrarian based with 2- lane roads through farms, now have 4 lane highways, outer loops, strip malls, etc.

Does 'Southern Hospitality' still exist? Does local community still exist? I knew every person growing up in Fuquay, now I rarely see a familiar face. The locals are still here, but diluted by the growth.

You can relate this to schools, WCPSS, and how the 'Community' Schools have changed and been influenced. You can relate this to economy. You can relate this to neighborhoods and the changes of town life vs. subdivision life. Growth has a price. Does 'Smart Growth' exist, and if so, does it preserve the southern towns people grew up in, or promote development trends from the North East and other high population areas. I guess it can be summed up in Regionalism, and how this southern melting pot is doing since the 70s when all this began

Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Yeah: how people survive all the crazy drivers here.

Actually, bljonesrr idea is a good one. I've been coming here since 1984 on business and the changes have been remarkable.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
a portrait of homeschooling in the triangle - religion, academic, social, artistic, atheletic reasons -- really meeting the needs of the children and the parents -- lots of reasons...

charter schools - why some work well and others....?

volunteering in the triangle - unsung heros of any area

Old 10-16-2009, 06:11 AM

24 posts, read 65,898 times
I would love to see a documentary on any of the above topics! I am a history buff, would love to know more of the local history of the triangle. The stuff that's not covered in books!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:14 AM

24 posts, read 65,898 times
I hate saying this but ...anyone familiar with the Pittsburgh public TV channel? Anyone heard of Rick Seaback? He has done a marvelous job with documenting the histoyr of Pittsburgh. He covered alot of the local flavor of Pittsburgh in his shows. The triangle needs a local documentary like that to familiarize the newbies to the history of the area and all that it has to offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary