U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 AM

959 posts, read 4,303,535 times

Advertisements

A news bit caught my ear last night since we'd been talking about the parts of Fayetteville street badly in need of revitalizing.

The City of Durham just approved 6.1 million dollars to be spent in conjunction with an investor's money to build 200,000 sq ft of office space, 310,000 sq ft of retail space, and 100+ condos.

The site is currently occupied by the Heritage Square shopping center. Apparently some of the surrounding residents have been fighting the development plan b/c of fear that local businesses would be displaced (though the developer plans to incorporate them) and that rising property taxes (following rising values) would make their homes unaffordable.

The area is surrounded by lots of run down historic homes, many of which are apparently empty, and the assumption is that investors will begin buying and restoring them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 AM

3,021 posts, read 10,485,316 times
Do you remember which channel carried that story? I'd love to check it out.

Nevermind! I found it.

http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.apx.-content-articles-NCN-2007-05-07-0018.html (broken link)

Last edited by MrsSteel; 05-08-2007 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 AM

8,269 posts, read 23,673,177 times
My brother is selling his home in Raleigh and bought a "run down" historic bungalow in that area for a ridiculously low price. He has major plans to rennovate. People are buying there and have high hopes that they are getting in on the ground floor of some good real estate deals!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,603,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
A news bit caught my ear last night since we'd been talking about the parts of Fayetteville street badly in need of revitalizing.

The City of Durham just approved 6.1 million dollars to be spent in conjunction with an investor's money to build 200,000 sq ft of office space, 310,000 sq ft of retail space, and 100+ condos.

The site is currently occupied by the Heritage Square shopping center. Apparently some of the surrounding residents have been fighting the development plan b/c of fear that local businesses would be displaced (though the developer plans to incorporate them) and that rising property taxes (following rising values) would make their homes unaffordable.

The area is surrounded by lots of run down historic homes, many of which are apparently empty, and the assumption is that investors will begin buying and restoring them.
If folks are interested, I'd note that I've had a few articles on this over at my blog (Bull City Rising, naturally.) http://www.bullcityrising.com/2007/05/heritage_square.html (broken link) and http://www.bullcityrising.com/2007/05/this_weeks_city.html (broken link) would be good starts. The Endangered Durham blog (http://endangereddurham.blogspot.com (broken link)) also has excellent coverage of the Heritage Square project.

I would add to this that most of the surrounding residents are *not* fighting it; there's actually a great deal of support from the local neighborhoods and (as you point out) businesses along with NC Central -- members of all three turned out in droves during the zoning/planning meetings to support this.

The opposition comes from the husband-and-wife owners of two nearby strip malls (who, in at least one case, got city dollars to help build their strip malls a decade ago). A few years back tenants in one of their strip malls alleged they weren't maintaining the properties well, either. These strip mall owners would prefer the city spend $25 million on street beautification for Fayetteville St. -- which would help their property values tremendously -- but oppose spending $2 million in city dollars towards Heritage Square.

Sometimes, non-Durhamites look at behavior like that as a sign City government in Durham is broken. I see it as just the opposite... the City has apparently tuned out such complaints as white noise. Makes good press, but the vote was 6-1 in favor of the funding (and against the strip mall owners' complaints), with the opponent disagreeing on technical grounds essentially.

Heritage Square is a great example of a private-sector neighborhood improvement project that can really bring revitalization to an area while respecting its surroundings and supporting local businesses.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:18 PM

3,021 posts, read 10,485,316 times
Wow, BCR, I love your blog! You are officially on my favorites now.
(I especially love today's post on Locopos. I take all of my out-of-town visitors there!)

Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM

959 posts, read 4,303,535 times
Something else I found today...a diagram showing what they've been doing to the downtown streets and sidewalks - http://media.newsobserver.com/content/news/durham/durham/story_graphics/20070402_durham_downtown.jpg (broken link) (note the plan for a large bronze bull statue hehe)

Which was from this http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/in...showtopic=8481
where the original poster mapped all of the developments going on in and planned for Durham
Here's the map, but you need to see his key on the thread to interpret the colors and get the development names/details:
http://www.transittime.com/stuff/Dow...rham-Small.jpg

Last edited by Bull City Rising; 05-10-2007 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Restored link

Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 AM

71 posts, read 67,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Which was from this Moderator cut: competitor's forum deleted
Oh my... this is one of those kinds of forums? Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary