Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

Next week we are going to get our 7 year old daughters out of school a bit early and need to know which specific activities they might especially enjoy. They both like arts and crafts and 1 likes science alot. I like gardening and handicrafts. DH likes seeing his girls happy. What do you suggest we try to take in first? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 11:17 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
The "exhibits"--meaning the buildings with everything from farm animals to 4-H projects to record-sized watermelons and pumpkins, to things like beeswax sculptures--are always a good first stop for the Fair, particularly with smaller kids who may get tired of walking around before you decide to go and see them. There are usually petting zoos, where they can pet a goat, etc.

There is also a "children's section" of the rides, away from the big Midway (which could be scary for little ones, with the crowds and loud rides), that has lots of scaled down rides their size, merry-go-rounds, etc. This is also near most of the food places.

The Village of Yesteryear is in the big round building in the northern (I think) side of the fairgrounds [the part that's "downhill" from the rest], which has all sorts of artisans and crafts to see and watch being made.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:04 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
I agree with Francois (as usual). There are also always some nice little garden patches people have created and submitted for consideration for awards, and those are fun to see if you like gardens.

Then they usually have a GIANT Smokey the Bear. I think he talks, I can't remember, and then if you keep on that path, there is a saw mill and fire safety info.

You might also want to visit the building with cattle and cows, just for a quick look, and they usually have a cow available for milking; get there early to avoid the line. We also always visit the chickens/ducks building. They usually have a lot of small chicks they let kids handle. Poor chicks.

(When we visited Oakview Park for Heritage Day, I was surprised our 10-year-old grandson truly didn't know that the skinny weird bird he was looking at was a turkey -- it wasn't the one in full plumage he was used to seeing in books. The fair presents a great opportunity to discuss the origins of food. )

I wonder if they'll change anything due to H1N1. Probably not. I'm going to use hand sanitizer every 10 minutes.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM

161 posts, read 581,338 times
I always loved the pig racing!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:55 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Kiddieland Fun Park at the fair:
http://www.ncstatefair.org/2009/Entertainment/Kiddieland.htm (broken link)

Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Thanks everyone especially for the specific suggestions from Francois. We will take lots of hand wipes and sanitizers and try to stay close to the buildings as these girls have never used a porta potty and I don't want to introduce them anytime soon!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
I didn't see any porta potties at the fair.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I didn't see any porta potties at the fair.
There are some around but plenty of normal facilities too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary