Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 07:30 AM

78 posts, read 376,584 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on specific areas & apartments/townhouses/etc to check out when we visit Raleigh? Is there an area that is popular with young professionals? We're 23, looking to live somewhere affordable, fun, and convenient. We'd prefer it not to be completely college kids...would love an area with people our age. Not sure where we'd be working yet, just looking to get a general feel for the area to decide if we'd like to move to Raleigh! Any info would be awesome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 08:05 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Are you focusing exclusively on Raleigh or are you open to other areas (Chapel Hill, Durham)? Where will you be working? How much can you afford? Are you wanting to buy immediately or rent?

Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 AM

41 posts, read 184,734 times
Hey Luckiest -
I was looking for the same thing when my fiance and I moved to Raleigh last July (we were also 23 when we moved). We ended up buying a house near North Hills because we couldn't afford to buy anything downtown. We were happy with North Hills, but it wasn't quite as young as I would have hoped. I think renting inside the beltline within distance to the bars and restaurants would have probably been a better place. Also, if it's a more "upscale" apartment complex, you probably won't be inundated with college students.
I don't know if you have any flexibility where you're looking, but we actually sold our house in Raleigh in February and moved to Durham. (long story - fiance is in grad school at Duke, and the communte was too far...) Our apartment in Durham is close to Chapel Hill too, and I LOVE it here. Probably even more than Raleigh. I think there is a "younger" feel here because Raleigh is so spread out, and Chapel Hill and Durham feel more concentrated in a specific area. Also, especially in Durham, most of the undergrads live on campus, so the apartments are more grad students and young professionals.
Anyway, good luck! The triangle is a great place to live, and if you have any flexibility - be sure to check out Durham and Chapel Hill!

Old 05-17-2007, 08:38 AM

78 posts, read 376,584 times
Thanks for the replies so far! I think we are flexible in location, never been to the area so just visiting Raleigh as a general starting point. We're looking to rent to start, ideally a 2 BR in the $800-1000 price range. Don't know where we'd be working or if we are 100% moving to the area, just trying to get an idea of places to check out while we are visiting to decide if its the right place for us.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 PM

41 posts, read 184,734 times
We live in Alexan Place at South Square in Durham. We have a 2 BR/2 BA and when we signed our lease, it was under $1000 (I'm sure it's around the same now) and it's a brand new apartment with a lot of amenities. It's right off of 40, so it's really accessible to RTP and the airport. In Durham and Chapel Hill, you get a free month at most of the complexes - not sure if it's the same in Raleigh. If you do come to Durham, and are looking for places to hang out, I would recommend checking out the Tobacco District, Brightleaf Square, and 9th Street. The Durham Bulls games are fun too, so if you're in town a weekend they're playing, it's a fun place to spend the afternoon. There's a lot of stuff on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill (restaurants, coffee shops, etc.) and I'm obsessed with Carrboro. It's tiny, but just has a great atmosphere of being laid back and everyone seems really happy. Going to the Weaver Street Market there and having lunch on the lawn at Carr Mill is such a nice way to spend a nice day outside.
As it's our first summer in the area, I'm interested to see if Durham/CH feels different with all the undergrads gone, but so far it doesn't really seem any different.
Where are you coming from? We came from DC, and it took some time getting used to the area. But I LOVE it here and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckiest1 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far! I think we are flexible in location, never been to the area so just visiting Raleigh as a general starting point. We're looking to rent to start, ideally a 2 BR in the $800-1000 price range. Don't know where we'd be working or if we are 100% moving to the area, just trying to get an idea of places to check out while we are visiting to decide if its the right place for us.
Raliegh-Life dude is right in the sense that b/c Durham and Chapel Hill seem more concentrated, your "awareness" of the younger set in those two areas is a little bit more clearer. As far as a 2/2 for 800 to 1000, I'm renting a 2br/2.5 bath towhome in a apt/towhome community that was built 3 years ago in SW Durham in that price range. It's very nice. It has a eat-in kitchen, nice size patio for my grill and the patio looks directly at trees and nature type stuff. The living room is a good size as well and the bonus is that I live by myself so there is a lot of space to roam about. I work in downtown Durham so it's convenient for me.

Anywho, I moved here without having made a visit and I found a place. You just have to make sure that you do an extensive amount of research and know what you want from a community and where you plan on working.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:35 PM

44 posts, read 161,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh_life View Post
We live in Alexan Place at South Square in Durham. We have a 2 BR/2 BA and when we signed our lease, it was under $1000 (I'm sure it's around the same now) and it's a brand new apartment with a lot of amenities. It's right off of 40, so it's really accessible to RTP and the airport. In Durham and Chapel Hill, you get a free month at most of the complexes - not sure if it's the same in Raleigh. If you do come to Durham, and are looking for places to hang out, I would recommend checking out the Tobacco District, Brightleaf Square, and 9th Street. The Durham Bulls games are fun too, so if you're in town a weekend they're playing, it's a fun place to spend the afternoon. There's a lot of stuff on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill (restaurants, coffee shops, etc.) and I'm obsessed with Carrboro. It's tiny, but just has a great atmosphere of being laid back and everyone seems really happy. Going to the Weaver Street Market there and having lunch on the lawn at Carr Mill is such a nice way to spend a nice day outside.
As it's our first summer in the area, I'm interested to see if Durham/CH feels different with all the undergrads gone, but so far it doesn't really seem any different.
Where are you coming from? We came from DC, and it took some time getting used to the area. But I LOVE it here and can't imagine living anywhere else.
We'll be coming from NY. I live in an overpopulated area (poughkeepsie) and she lives in a small town in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary