U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM

18 posts, read 36,462 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Fred and I am looking to relocate from Long Island New York to the Triangle. I am mostly interested in the four areas in the title. My cousin lives in Cary and it is very nice. She likes and recommends Cary but it seems more built up than the other areas and is pricier. I prefer more open area with larger property. I want at least .25 acres. I love Apex's historic village and think that that town is the one I seem to like the most.

I have three kids ages 15,9 and 18 months and am looking for good schools as well as a place to start a business. I am in the carpet cleaning business and will be selling my business here in New York.

I also noticed that most of the new homes are being built on smaller lots than older homes. Is this the new trend? Like I said above, I want more property.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:52 PM

653 posts, read 2,888,423 times
Since commute is not necessarily going to be an issue for you, then it really comes down to price and the size of the home as well as the lot. Typically, we're seeing newer homes on smaller lots, or at least on lots with fewer trees even if they're .25 acres. Also, the lot dimensions and where the home sits on the lot has as much to do with it as the actual acreage, so give yourself some wiggle room. (I had clients just today comment that a home we saw with a .12 acre lot actually *felt* bigger than a home on a .2 acre lot, because it was level, fenced, and where the home was situated.)

Generally, what price range/square footage are you looking for? This might help narrow it down for you!

For your schools, check out www.wcpss.net as well as www.greatschools.net to compare the schools side by side. Of course, there is a lot more to a school than its test scores, but it's a starting point.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM

574 posts, read 1,165,730 times
If you like Apex, don't need to commute and like property, why not look into New Hill??

Old 05-09-2007, 06:48 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,754,071 times
I think you should also consider Clayton.
Bigger houses, more land, cheaper house!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:22 PM

29 posts, read 94,580 times
My husband and I have been looking for the right area since last summer. We are also moving from Long Island. We finally chose Holly Springs, new schools close to Cary without the prices. I have spoken to many people who are very happy there including our real estate agent. We purchased in Holly Glen, Olde South Homes. I highly recommend them, customer service is incredible.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:42 PM

93 posts, read 682,755 times
I researched the pros & cons for quite awhile before finally deciding on the Garner area.
Holly Springs and Apex were also front runners on our list, but we found the perfect home in South Raleigh and bought it last Saturday

From what I have heard Clayton and Knigthdale are not the areas you would want to buy in due to crime etc. and Wake Forest has outgrown its freeways leading to unmanagable commutes.

South Raleigh/Garner and West Raleigh/Holly Springs/Apex are the best places to buy currently. Cary was a bit overpriced, but if you found something you liked there its a good spot too.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,231,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Wake Forest has outgrown its freeways leading to unmanagable commutes.
That is not quite true. It really depends where ine Wake Forest you are at, and where you are commuting to.

If you have to do Capital Blvd. from South Main to Durant.....then yes, it's not great. (That is a Raleigh highway anyway, not Wake Forest)....but going to RTP or other areas near there, it's not a bad commute. Counties to the North? It's a GREAT commute.

Even if you are way out west and can do down Six Forks, or out east and go down Forestville to Louisburg Rd.

If you have to work in Cary....chances are you wouldn't live in Wake Forest anyway.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:17 PM

76 posts, read 253,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
My husband and I have been looking for the right area since last summer. We are also moving from Long Island. We finally chose Holly Springs, new schools close to Cary without the prices. I have spoken to many people who are very happy there including our real estate agent. We purchased in Holly Glen, Olde South Homes. I highly recommend them, customer service is incredible.
We have just purchased in Holly Glen with Olde South axs well. We may be neighbors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary