Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 AM

93 posts, read 326,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Pine straw is also a no-no.
Why is pinestraw a no-no? It is highly acidic which is very good for our azaleas.

When I moved to NY I raked the pinestraw from my hemlocks into mulch piles to put on my beds. My husband told me not to do that...I said "Why not, this is what we did in NC." He said "Don't be ridiculous!" and paid a lot of money for truckloads of shredded hardwood.

Now we are divorced and he lives in Cary...just a few months ago he told me what a great idea it is to use the pinestraw as a free, natural, healthy mulch! He thinks he invented it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,672 times
I use pinestraw, primarily because we have large wooded areas that are a mix of pine and hardwoods.
Some folks are concerned about pinestraw because it burns rather easily. Raleigh considered a ban in certain areas after the townhome fire a few years ago.
Shredded mulch also tends to decompose and helps with soil composition and pinestraw does not.
The NC Coop folks actually believe peat moss has limited usefulness and much prefer compost. Peat moss does help retain moisture and has some usefulness in sandy soils which are pretty atypical in the Triangle.

Frank

Old 10-22-2009, 01:23 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaring View Post
Why is pinestraw a no-no? It is highly acidic which is very good for our azaleas.

Now we are divorced and he lives in Cary...just a few months ago he told me what a great idea it is to use the pinestraw as a free, natural, healthy mulch! He thinks he invented it!

Thanks for the laugh!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaring View Post

When I moved to NY I raked the pinestraw from my hemlocks into mulch piles to put on my beds. My husband told me not to do that...I said "Why not, this is what we did in NC." He said "Don't be ridiculous!" and paid a lot of money for truckloads of shredded hardwood.

Pinestraw is good as far as weed prevention etc, but from what I remember it can be a fire hazard especially when put right up against a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary