Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 AM

9 posts, read 29,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I thought of two more things that, if I could edit it, I would add to my Survival Guide for Newcomers. It's about public behavior, and I add this not to insult anyone, but to help newcomers understand and to successfully adapt to the culture here.

Under "Other," I would add:

Shopping Etiquette

1. Southerners (as well as most people in the U.S.) tend to be more soft-spoken than people from the NY/NJ area. When you exclaim over an item while shopping, be aware of the volune of your voice and adjust it downward if necessary.

There is no need to yell for your co-shoppers to come and see something. Go get them. When you're talking, it's not necessary for everyone around you within 50 feet to hear every single thing you are saying. Be aware that people here communicate using a much reduced audio level.

2. Be kind, very kind, to ALL service personnel, including cashiers, salespeople, wait staff, busboys, and anyone working in a store, restaurant, hospital, doctor's office, or similar venue that serves the public.

If you are having a problem, the squeakiest and loudest wheel will not always get the fastest or best oil. It will, instead, simply increase EVERYONE's stress level and contribute to the creation of a high-stress environment, the same type that you were hoping to leave in NY/NJ. We all know stress is bad for our health, and most of us already have enough stress in our lives.

Instead, in a calm, even-toned, and not-loud voice, explain your problem and thank the person profusely for their help in assisting you. If that doesn't work, calmly ask to talk to a manager.

The same advice applies to driving: Be nice.

We'll all be better off for it.
What a load of crap. Sorry but really? The problem is not the people from the "North" it's the fact that everyone is so slow here for everything lol and they feel like they need to chit chat with you about every single little thing and give you a freaking smile. Cut the crap...this isn't a girl scout camp out.

My advice: be yourself, live your life according to your rules and what you feel is right. If you don't feel like saying hello, don't say hello. If you don't feel like being extra nice because that is the "southern way" don't be extra nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 AM

174 posts, read 407,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAGuy-in-RDU View Post
What a load of crap...Cut the crap...this isn't a girl scout camp out...
Dam, I thought this was a scout camp; no wonder there are no other tents. I think this kind of "live and let die" attitude is what Brentwood was talking about...

Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 AM

9 posts, read 29,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomedata View Post
Dam, I thought this was a scout camp; no wonder there are no other tents. I think this kind of "live and let die" attitude is what Brentwood was talking about...
How can you enjoy life and be yourself when you have to freaking live by Southern Etiquette way of standard and rules according to her post? lol c'mon man lol

Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
How can you enjoy life and be yourself when you have to freaking live by Southern Etiquette way of standard and rules according to her post? lol c'mon man lol
And you on the other hand, would enjoy life more by living by the "Joey Buttafuoco" way, I suppose? There are plenty who do, but don't expect your neighbors to be there when you need a hand if your "Me me me me, screw everybody else" attitude becomes known.

You ARE aware that the writer of that "guide" is a transplant herself? She's compiling it based on her own experiences as a once-newcomer and worked worked best for her to adjust to the area.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
What a load of crap. Sorry but really? The problem is not the people from the "North" it's the fact that everyone is so slow here for everything lol and they feel like they need to chit chat with you about every single little thing and give you a freaking smile. Cut the crap...this isn't a girl scout camp out.

My advice: be yourself, live your life according to your rules and what you feel is right. If you don't feel like saying hello, don't say hello. If you don't feel like being extra nice because that is the "southern way" don't be extra nice.
When in Rome....

Old 12-09-2009, 01:43 PM

838 posts, read 2,523,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8urgrl View Post
Down East, as in "we're going down east this weekend." This refers to the beach and inland communities situated toward the coast, especially New Bern and surrounding area.
Actually... if you grew up in Morehead like I did, "Down East" actually refers more to Harker's Island/Otway area of NC. You want to hear some crazy dialect, take a trip down there!

Another NC term, but probably more eastern NC is "Dingbatters", which is what we refer to all the tourists as! You know who you are!

The initial list is a good one. I've been in the Raleigh area since '88, NCSU grad, woop woop!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
Quote:

Wow, I hope this is sarcasm but I fear it isn't. I don't see many native southern friends in your future

I must ask, when you hear the word "guido", does it invoke a sense of pride?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:23 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
The info was intended as part of a survival guide -- suggestions for you to succeed in the Triangle culture. If you don't mind people rolling their eyeballs all over the insides of their heads when you TALK REALLY LOUD in public, or if neighbors run when they see you coming, then you don't have to worry about a thing.

(They are etiquette "rules" but not etiquette "laws." Don't worry, we won't make a citizen's arrest. )

Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Default Wait a minute here.

HEY! Who said I had to ADJUST?!

I didn't have to adjust!

I've always said living in North Raleigh is quite similar to living in the Rochester area, specifically the suburb of Greece, New York, where I lived.

I had no adjusting to do. I am and have always been a soft-spoken, extremely nice person. I was always used to store clerks, restaurant personnel -- and anyone else one happens to meet -- making small talk. It's no big deal. It's what I'm used to.

I am, however, a keen observer of human nature.

(I did, of course, have to adjust to the terminology.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You ARE aware that the writer of that "guide" is a transplant herself? She's compiling it based on her own experiences as a once-newcomer and worked worked best for her to adjust to the area.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
HEY! Who said I had to ADJUST?!

I didn't have to adjust!

(I did, of course, have to adjust to the terminology.)
In fact, the terminology was what I was thinking of, not having read the "guide" in awhile. I remembered a lot about terms for things. I actually didn't remember so much on the etiquette stuff as being in it, since that's not really Triangle-specific. Sorry for mentioning it at all (which was intended to be coming to your defense, but we all know what "good intentions" get you on the Internet! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary