Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,447,044 times

Advertisements

[quote=urbancharlotte;11364803]Much of what you said here is VERY true. However, MANY cities (including Atlanta and Charlotte) are more "poly-centric" than some folks may think. In Atlanta, there is Buckhead, Midtown, Perimeter, Sandy Springs, Norcross, etc etc. In Charlotte, there is Uptown, South Park, University City, Ballantyne, Arrowood/White Hall, etc etc etc.
QUOTE]

And DC Metro has Downtown, Capital Hill, Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, the Dulles Corridor, Ballston-Clarendon-Rosslyn, Pentagon City, Alexandria, Tyson's Corner, Silver Spring, Old Town, Georgetown, Rockville, National Harbor, and the Navy Yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,677,655 times
[quote=Tarheelhombre;11383705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Much of what you said here is VERY true. However, MANY cities (including Atlanta and Charlotte) are more "poly-centric" than some folks may think. In Atlanta, there is Buckhead, Midtown, Perimeter, Sandy Springs, Norcross, etc etc. In Charlotte, there is Uptown, South Park, University City, Ballantyne, Arrowood/White Hall, etc etc etc.
QUOTE]

And DC Metro has Downtown, Capital Hill, Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, the Dulles Corridor, Ballston-Clarendon-Rosslyn, Pentagon City, Alexandria, Tyson's Corner, Silver Spring, Old Town, Georgetown, Rockville, National Harbor, and the Navy Yard.
All of DC looks like a DT area accept for Southeast. DC is completely built out. It also has the second largest central business district in the U.S., despite DC's height restrictions.

Raleigh has mini communities, but what mid to large city doesn't?

I can only imagine what Charlotte and Raleigh will look like in the next 20 years. By then they will be cosmopolitan powerhouses! Charlotte's DT will probably extend 5-6 miles down South Blvd, with beautiful high rises, and multi level shopping.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 PM

393 posts, read 674,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I think what the original poster is more impressed by Charlotte's awesome skyline.
Here is what I found nice and would want to replicate in Raleigh:
  • The nice mix of building heights
  • The incredible architecture
  • Beautiful sidewalks
  • Really active scene (I mean REALLY active)
  • Excellent residential units
  • Tons of places to eat all so close together
  • Lots of things to do (I means LOTS of things)
  • The Panthers football stadium
I want to thank everyone for a GREAT informational thread.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
Here is what I found nice and would want to replicate in Raleigh:
  • The nice mix of building heights
  • The incredible architecture
  • Beautiful sidewalks
  • Really active scene (I mean REALLY active)
  • Excellent residential units
  • Tons of places to eat all so close together
  • Lots of things to do (I means LOTS of things)
  • The Panthers football stadium
I want to thank everyone for a GREAT informational thread.
I'm trying my best to not believe you're trolling... You want the Panthers stadium? Huh, move to Charlotte...

Places to eat? Raleigh has more, maybe not chains, but more.

I frequent Charlotte quite often there aren't lot's of things to do, but most downtowns (including Raleigh's) suffer from this. I don't mind it though I love venturing off the beaten path.

Everything else, I wholeheartedly agree. I like Meeker and all, but we need someone aggressive, and a little more ambitious.

You might want to hang around the entire DT Raleigh and venture out on foot. There is more to Raleigh than Fayetteville st. DT Raleigh is broken up into districts. The central business district is only the beginning. What Raleigh lacks in height, it makes up for at ground level.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,447,044 times
Quote:
However, believe it or not DT Raleigh has more clubs, bars, and restaurants than Uptown. DT Raleigh also has more Retail square footage, historic structures, museums, and about equal the nightlife lately.
Could you cite or link a source for this claim, or provide specific comparison statistics?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,359,254 times
Quote:
However, believe it or not DT Raleigh has more clubs, bars, and restaurants than Uptown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Could you cite or link a source for this claim, or provide specific comparison statistics?
I counted 95 downtown restaurants for Raleigh.
Downtown Raleigh Live Work Play!

I counted 165 uptown restaurants for Charlotte.
Downtown/Uptown Restaurants - Charlotte | Urbanspoon

Quote:
DT Raleigh also has more Retail square footage, historic structures, museums, and about equal the nightlife lately.
I'll give you this much that Raleigh's downtown probably has more retail in it (heck, Salisbury's downtown probably has more retail space than Uptown lol). Just know that this has more to do with South Park than anything else. Also, much of uptown Charlotte's restaurants and retail is located in the Overstreet Mall. This "Mall" is a collection of walkways on the lower floors of about 6 different skyscrapers. At first glance, one might think Raleigh's downtown has more restaurants, but much of uptown Charlotte's pedestrian activity goes on in this "mall". You would NEVER this activity from the street.

I play basketball quite often at the Childress Klein YMCA located at the southern end of the Overstreet Mall. During the midday lunch (when I am off from work) I can catch a movie uptown, shoot some ball with the fellas uptown, and catch the train back to my south Charlotte townhouse before time to pick the kids up from school (and this is if the kids aren't catching the train home like many other kids that attend Kennedy Charter School near the Sharon Rd west station).

I don't think the OP was "trolling" as you put it. He gave Charlotte some nice props and in return I gave Raleigh some nice props. It doesn't always have to be a competition between Charlotte and Raleigh metro. Like you've ALWAYS said, bigger doesn't always mean better. However, in Charlotte's case, bigger has translated into better urban planning, bigger more active downtown, and better mass transit. This is something I think the OP is wanting to see more of in Raleigh. I agree with him. I would like to see it in Raleigh too.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-29-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 10-29-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:

You see that's what happens when a troll comes into a thread. That's not a complete list of bars, clubs, and restaurants for DT Raleigh. That list only contains restaurants, and not all of them I might add. Raleigh Times is the most popular restaurant downtown and it's not listed. Tons of them are not listed. I live Downtown. Many of the places I frequent aren't listed.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:

I'll give you this much that Raleigh's downtown probably has more retail in it (heck, Salisbury's downtown probably has more retail space than Uptown lol). Just know that this has more to do with South Park than anything else. Also, much of uptown Charlotte's restaurants and retail is located in the Overstreet Mall. It is a collection of walkways on the lower floors of about 6 different skyscrapers. At first glance, one might think Raleigh's has more restaurants, but much of uptown Charlotte pedestrian activity goes on in this mall. You would NEVER this activity from the street. I play basketball quite often at the Childress Klein YMCA located at the southern end of the Overstreet mall. During the midday lunch (when I am off from work) I can catch a movie uptown, shoot some ball with the fellas uptown, and catch the train back to my south Charotte townhouse before time to pick the kids up from school (and this is if the kids aren't catching the train home like many other kids that attend Kennedy Charter School near the Sharon Rd west station).

I don't think the OP was "trolling" as you put it. He gave Charlotte some nice props and in return I gave Raleigh some nice props. It doesn't always have to be a competition between Charlotte and Raleigh metro. Like you've ALWAYS said, bigger doesn't always mean better. However, in Charlotte's case, bigger has translated into better urban planning, bigger more active downtown, and better mass transit. This is something I think the OP is wanting to see more of in Raleigh. I agree with him. I would like to see it in Raleigh too.
Why don't you post what you really have to say about Raleigh. If I posted some of the comments you've PM'ed me, you would be exposed for the troll you are. I've been through every nook and cranny in Uptown Charlotte. Uptown is very well taken care of, but to insult Raleigh by comparing it to Winston-Salem is uncalled for. You get away with your antics by straddling the line. I don't fall for it.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 AM

494 posts, read 1,389,512 times
Quote:
Why don't you post what you really have to say about Raleigh. If I posted some of the comments you've PM'ed me, you would be exposed for the troll you are. I've been through every nook and cranny in Uptown Charlotte. Uptown is very well taken care of, but to insult Raleigh by comparing it to Winston-Salem is uncalled for. You get away with your antics by straddling the line. I don't fall for it.
Are opinions still permitted here?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,714,778 times
Charlotte has a nice down town, and Raleigh is finally getting there thanks to the city's efforts to renew the area. Charlotte is and always will be ahead of Raleigh though - its a bigger city and its been renewing itself much longer than Raleigh has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary