Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:49 PM

393 posts, read 674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think more people would go into downtown Raleigh if Cap. Blvd were a freeway (or had light rail down its median).
This is an excellent point. I live in the very northeast corner of Fuquay-Varina and can easily walk or bike ride to the Raleigh border. I have a very easy, 12 mile back road drive into DT Raleigh. Traffic for me is no problem from my location, until I get into the heart of the city. However, if I am coming into Raleigh from any other direction the traffic is insane. Anything coming off of 540 or the beltline from the north is just crazy. The traffic flow is something that really deters some people from coming into DT. If there was a more efficient way in, then more people would frequent the area for part of the day. I do not tolerate traffic well, which is one reason why I prefer to live outside the beltline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:37 PM

542 posts, read 1,526,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
This is an excellent point. I live in the very northeast corner of Fuquay-Varina and can easily walk or bike ride to the Raleigh border. I have a very easy, 12 mile back road drive into DT Raleigh. Traffic for me is no problem from my location, until I get into the heart of the city. However, if I am coming into Raleigh from any other direction the traffic is insane. Anything coming off of 540 or the beltline from the north is just crazy. The traffic flow is something that really deters some people from coming into DT. If there was a more efficient way in, then more people would frequent the area for part of the day. I do not tolerate traffic well, which is one reason why I prefer to live outside the beltline.
Personally I find the traffic inside the beltline to be fairly non-existent, the only time traffic is a problem for me is when I venture outside of the beltline for work. Ideally I would never have to leave the beltline but I do love my job and my job is in the RTP so I don't really have a choice right now. That being said, I do know that they are seriously looking at great options for the area north of downtown including the Capital Blvd area. They are planning green spaces, un-earthing an underground creek, and probably even light rail. I'm excited about the possibilities!

Mike

Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,319,867 times
Quote:
Much of what you said here is VERY true. However, MANY cities (including Atlanta and Charlotte) are more "poly-centric" than some folks may think. In Atlanta, there is Buckhead, Midtown, Perimeter, Sandy Springs, Norcross, etc etc. In Charlotte, there is Uptown, South Park, University City, Ballantyne, Arrowood/White Hall, etc etc etc.

The difference with Atlanta/Charlotte vs Raleigh is that the aforementioned cities have major freeways in their downtowns (and the latter does not). Before the invention of cars, downtowns were strong without freeways (think Charleston South Carolina). Today, post automobile cities NEED to have freeways in order to compete with the burbs. The fact that Raleigh has I-440 (and is building I-540) pretty much shows where Raleigh's future development will go. A north/south freeway that runs from I-40 (south of downtown) to I-440 (north of downtown) would help downtown Raleigh attract new jobs and businesses. I am sure of it.

As it stands right now, downtown Raleigh competes with the downtowns of MUCH smaller cities (ie Columbia SC and Winston-Salem NC). Both of these cities have a direct freeway link into (and out of) their respective downtowns. Columbia's is not that great, but Winston-Salem's business I-40 is!!!
I was gonna bring this point up. In the 70s when this plan for Charlotte came, the polycentric planning was done on purpose. It was done to decrease traffic congestion in the city. I think Raleigh could learn alot from the mistakes of Charlotte. Raleigh and the Triangle for that matter has a true gem in RTP, something that Charlotte is trying so hard to create (CRI at UNCC and the NC Research Campus, also University Research Park). I love Raleigh as I lived there when I was little. Personally, I don't want Raleigh to become like Charlotte because then there would be competition between the two, which could hurt the state. If Charlotte and Raleigh were diverse it would attract more diverse companies to NC and increase our economic output.

Getting back on topic, I still would hope to see Raleigh with a better DT. the work on Fayetteville Street is awesome and they should build on that so when the buildings go up, they have a nice atmosphere, something Charlotte is just getting in the Epicentre. Perhaps if Charlotte created ancillary offices for the RTP in DT this could work. Also, RBC is HQed in Raleigh, this will certainly help. What has made Charlotte's DT so good, in addition to the banking boom is great civic leadership and business people who cared about Charlotte. Raleigh needs to get these things if they don't already. Go Raleigh!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 PM

8,808 posts, read 10,268,375 times
If we're on the subject of improving Raleigh's downtown, I know this is a long shot and probably will never happen but I would like to see Raleigh add in something like a riverwalk, similar to what San Antonio has. I would for sure visit Downtown more often if there was something like that. For the time being though I do like the new RBC plaza. Now if the Soliel Center would be built downtown instead of near Crabtree where it will look like an oddball.

I have to disagree about the RBC center though, I think it's fine where it is.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,860,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
If we're on the subject of improving Raleigh's downtown, I know this is a long shot and probably will never happen but I would like to see Raleigh add in something like a riverwalk
Well, generally a prime requirement for a downtown riverwalk is a RIVER downtown...

Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 PM

8,808 posts, read 10,268,375 times
^ Yeah I'm aware of that, it doesn't have to be a "natural" river though.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,652,144 times
Quote:
I don't doubt anything that you have said. However, it is only fair that you know what Uptown Charlotte can look like on some nights.
I was born and raised in Miami, so I know what city nightlife looks like. I have never questioned what anyone is saying about Charlotte's nightlife. I am only speaking on Raleigh, since that is all I'm qualified to speak about in this particular situation. I believe you that Charlotte has a lot of nightlife activity - it is a huge metro area, it should!

Raleigh is still quite a bit smaller population-wise than Charlotte. Until the populations are even, the two really cannot be compared with each other all that much. That said, Raleigh's nightlife activity has been steadily growing for the past three years that I have lived here. So it bugs me when people say there is nothing to do in downtown Raleigh. Sometimes, it is more a matter of wanting things handed to you and going to find them yourself.

Quote:
I think more people would go into downtown Raleigh if Cap. Blvd were a freeway (or had light rail down its median).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Personally I find the traffic inside the beltline to be fairly non-existent, the only time traffic is a problem for me is when I venture outside of the beltline for work. Ideally I would never have to leave the beltline but I do love my job and my job is in the RTP so I don't really have a choice right now. That being said, I do know that they are seriously looking at great options for the area north of downtown including the Capital Blvd area. They are planning green spaces, un-earthing an underground creek, and probably even light rail. I'm excited about the possibilities!

Mike
Good points mentioned here about Capital Blvd. I take Capital out of downtown to northbound Wake Forest Rd every morning, and then reverse that in the afternoon. I've really never had much trouble getting in and out of downtown except from outside of 440 to the north. Glenwood, Six Forks and Capital are all pretty congested north of 440. It would be great if there was some sort of US-1 bypass as an alternative to Capital OTB. Light rail down the middle (and the same on I-40 between Raleigh and RTP) would ice the cake.

I'm surprised that the link to Dan Douglas's vision for Capital Blvd (posted earlier in the thread) didn't generate more discussion. Dan has some really excellent ideas for that underutilized area of downtown, and I think a plan like his would really give downtown Raleigh (and the city as a whole) a huge boost..

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM

415 posts, read 1,211,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
We are not folks that would ever care to live in the city. We much prefer the way the Triangle is laid out with great suburban and country areas. If, however, we had a DT area like Charlotte with everything they have to offer, we would venture into the city more often than we do. Maybe once a month or so, rather than 3 or 4 times a year. We would only visit for part of the day and then retreat back to where we like to live. Many other people would also venture into the city more often, if there were more offerings like Charlotte has. It would be great for the local economy.

I think this area is better overall by far, but can still see some room for improvement. Mayor Meeker obviously feels the same way. As Raleigh is the capitol of NC, I would prefer to see her as the shining city and not second to Charlotte. I would also think that as much as some people here mention how much they like the city life, they would also prefer to have the choices and beauty that Charlotte has. We are headed in that direction, but do we plan on going all the way?
I think this area is better overall by far, but can still see some room for improvement. Mayor Meeker obviously feels the same way. As Raleigh is the capitol of NC, I would prefer to see her as the shining city and not second to Charlotte. I would also think that as much as some people here mention how much they like the city life, they would also prefer to have the choices and beauty that Charlotte has. We are headed in that direction, but do we plan on going all the way?[/quote]

I understand what your saying Im not sure how old this thread is but It's really great! But that is part of reason Charlotte and Raleigh have a friendly competition between each other because one city says we're more important economicly, we got more people, more of a major city pro sports etc. . .while Raleigh claims for the states importance and liberal views education value and college/university sports.

But when Charlotte applies for anything that has to go through Raleigh it's hard for Charlotte to get what they want because of that little competition. But either way North Carolina is blessed unlike other states because we have so many major cities and great DT's such as Charlotte Raleigh Winston-Salem Asheville Greensboro and so much more, yet we have the balance with rural areas although some urban cities are taking over those place slowly to expand suburban living (ex- Winston-Salem reaching all the way out to Davie county and building whole neighborhoods and gated communities for company workers who dont want to live in the city).

Either way I see a positive image for Raleigh and with its population busting they pretty much have no choice but to but to expand downtown for either recreational purposes or for enjoyment and a great DT experience.

BTW the Raleigh's Wide Open Festival is AWESOME!! It would be great if Charlotte would do something to that scale!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,213,997 times
Quote:
I, for one, don't want a freeway bisecting DT. I have the opposite dream. I wish Capital was returned to a slower city street without the NJ barrier up to (at least) the Wade Ave. exit. This would allow the expansion of mixed use projects on either side of Capital on the north side of DT. It would link the energy and progress of the Glenwood South neighborhood with the neighborhoods and projects to the east. It would create a more cohesive urban opportunity with immediate existing DT/Edge neighborhoods like Glenwood/Brooklyn, Moredcai, Oakwood and the mixed income residential projects to the north of Peace College.
Light rail is planned to closely parallel the route of Capital Blvd and I think that will be a sufficient and cost effective location for it.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:41 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,955,741 times
Boy, I sure hope Raleigh becomes more like Charlotte. Then we'd have mass transit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary