Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 AM

38 posts, read 161,522 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are relocating to NC from MA (yes another yankee coming down there) and I am terrified of what is going on in Wake county schools. My daughter is 2 and I have another one on the way, so if we do move to Wake county will the schools fix itself by the time she goes to school in two years? Should we just look in Orange county instead? I had Wake county narrowed down to Wake Forest, North Raleigh, Cary, Apex and Holly Springs but the schools in Wake county scare me (is that the wrong term). Orange county has less to choose from and more pricey, what do you all think? Am I looking too far into this or are the school systems going to get worse like predicted or better? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 06:28 AM

3,673 posts, read 6,603,934 times
Default Glass half full?

What will follow in this thread will be many shots fired about the degradation and rapid demise of the Wake County school system. There will be some validity to what will be said. That said, Wake County still provides a great education.

Year round versus traditional calendar is not nearly as big a deal as is typically made within these threads. The key is in having multiple children on the same tracks. Year round isn't worse, just different. People tend to fear change but that's just human nature.

The rapid expansion and use of temporary structures is again, just different. The degree of learning isn't impacted and I seriously doubt most of the children really care. My boys would feel constrained in any four-walled space that requires them to sit still and listen.

I know of several teachers that are desperate to get jobs in Wake County from surrounding school districts because it really is that much better. One even laughed at all the wide-spread panic and outrage inspired by the high growth rate. He said that it's still difficult to get a job in Wake and that they're very selective.

Everyone has to decide for themselves. However with your child so young and far away from public school I would suggest you find a house that meets your needs in a place you want to live. And there are many pockets of Raleigh where the school situation is quite stable regardless of what you may read.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,065,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Sienna View Post
Hi. We are relocating to NC from MA (yes another yankee coming down there) and I am terrified of what is going on in Wake county schools. My daughter is 2 and I have another one on the way, so if we do move to Wake county will the schools fix itself by the time she goes to school in two years? Should we just look in Orange county instead? I had Wake county narrowed down to Wake Forest, North Raleigh, Cary, Apex and Holly Springs but the schools in Wake county scare me (is that the wrong term). Orange county has less to choose from and more pricey, what do you all think? Am I looking too far into this or are the school systems going to get worse like predicted or better? Help!
I have to echo the previous post. Find a home you like, in the county you like. I keep going back to the public school my husband attended growing up. It was not the best schools in the district (this is not in wake county, but in north carolina), and he did well, graduated very high in his class, went on to college and is now successful. So, the point being, the comparison from his school district and wake (or orange) is simply huge, wake and orange are much better. Does that mean that students outside of those districts will not do well, no. The main difference that I saw between our educational experiences (I went to chapel hill high school) was that in his high school it was not an expectation of the student body to go on to college. At chhs, it was considered ridiculous if you did not go on to college. Is that better? not for all students.

The bottom line is parents are going to be the most influential in their children's educational experience. So, yes there are growing pains with the wake county schools. Chapel hill schools tend to have the reputation of putting a tremendous amount of pressure on students to be successful. I have friends who left chapel hill schools because it was not right for their children, too much academic pressure.

In the end it is about you and your children, their needs. Come visit the area, she which places you like the most, determine where you will have to commute (if that is a factor) and then make choices from that point.

Leigh

Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 AM

Thank you for your posts. I think with all the posts about the district was just overwhelming. I am also considering parts of durham as well. Now I think I am just going to look everywhere. It is a huge area to cover and since there are still two years until she is in school we can always move if we need to. He will be working near the air port so it is sort of in the middle of everything. This is just so hard, and I guess since I am not putting my daughter in school now it is not such a big deal--I think I am stressing for no reason. I do not want the academic pressure as mentioned above with Chapel Hill--it sort of reminds me of towns up here. I went to an okay school near Detroit (20 minutes away) and it wasn't the best of schools but like you said you can do well no matter what the school. Thanks for all your replies.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,946,805 times
I just wanted to point out, in case you are not aware, that Chapel Hill/ Carrboro has a separate school system from the rest of Orange County. Chapel Hill/ Carrboro is considered an excellent school system, maybe the best in the state. Orange County schools, while still good, are not ranked as highly. Personally, I cannot afford what I want in Wake or Chapel Hill/Carborro, and am looking at Orange County and Alamance County right now.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 AM

71 posts, read 79,794 times
My wife used to be a substitute teacher in the area. After spending some time in all the schools, she did tell me Chapel Hill/Carrboro would be the first choice if we sent our kids to public school. Durham would be the last. The rest of Orange County and Wake County would be somewhere in the middle.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:59 AM

I don't think I can afford what we want (newer) in Chapel Hill/Carborro area either--I did not know that they were separate than other in Orange county. hillsboro looks too country for me. Coming from outskirts of detroit, moving around with the military, now living in a town (not too small) in MA, I don't want to go smaller and Hillsboro looks pretty small. Ok I guess I just eliminated Orange county.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viridari View Post
My wife used to be a substitute teacher in the area. After spending some time in all the schools, she did tell me Chapel Hill/Carrboro would be the first choice if we sent our kids to public school. Durham would be the last. The rest of Orange County and Wake County would be somewhere in the middle.
That is what we were thinking but to live there we would have to make a lot more. I guess there is always private schools right? Then there is the cost factor, is it cheaper to live in Chapel Hill/Carrboro and not pay for private schools or live somewhere else and pay for private schools? I have no clue about any of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary