Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 23,156 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to beat this thing to the ground but is this 'town of Clayton' bill inclusive of property taxes also? $300 would seem very high for water and trash removal only for a 42 day period. That's over $2,500 annually at that rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 PM

28 posts, read 84,749 times
I Just moved to Clayton from Memphis Tn. I Love the area. I really feel comfortable in this area and I'm from an urban area. I grew up in Philly and lived in Memphis for 20 yrs. Clayton is a small town that has easy access to I-40 and the traffic into Raleigh is ok untiul you hit Raleigh. in the 7-8AM hr it takes exactly 55 minutes for us to get to Chapel Hill. The feel here is home town, the way I like it. The people are friendly and traffic on hwy 70 can get conjested in the afternoons but there are many other ways to get to where you need to be around the area. get a local map for that. I-40 will take you to the sea shore in 1-2 hrs and the area is quiet. I couldn't have asked for a nicer place to be. You have a choice of grocers and a super walmart is nearby. Lowes hardware is right by Hwy 42 and I-40 along with other shops and garden centers. Hwy 42 leads right into Fuquay or 70 inot Gardner for more specialized stores and malls. I have only seen 1 or 2 trailer parks, the area has lots of new subdivisions and you'll see many (horse)Ranches and older homes and country roads withfarms and cows and such. this may or may not be the life for you. My kids are grown so I don't have any info on the schools. hope this helped

Old 05-14-2007, 01:26 PM

139 posts, read 550,530 times
here is a copy of a post I made in another thread about electric rates in Clayton:

"njrover-we are renting in the city limits and I can give you our bills for the last month (3/19-4/17) from the Town of Clayton:

electric -usage 1098 $135.63
water-usage 4000 $17.18
sewage-usage 4000 $22.47
irrigation (pay even if you dont use just to have connection) $10.10
garbage $12.85

$202.30 from town of Clayton w/tax

However, our heat is gas so our gas bill during this time was $72.88 for a total of about $275 for the month. This is a 4 bedroom about 2600 sq ft home with 5 people. Electricity will be MUCH cheaper if you live outside city limits (Progress Energy sells to Clayton which then sells to us). We also paid $20/quarter for trash outside city limits vs. $13/month here.

HTH!"

The town of Clayton buys electricity from Progress Energy and then sells it to town residents. So, town residents pay more for electricity than non residents.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:51 PM

73 posts, read 397,282 times
my wife and I are planning to move to clayton in sept/oct

we've been working with NCHomeFinder...

ive meant to write on the board, its just work up here in MA is over 60 hours the last couple weeks, well month...

gotta get my job search on,

clayton is amazing, 45-55 minutes to RTP, we drove it when visiting, houses and land are beautiful, so much better then raleigh or n raleigh or durham...

Old 05-14-2007, 05:06 PM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
$400 for electricity...in Clayton?!?

I've lived in Raleigh all of my life. I had a one story, 1100 sq foot house and on average, my electric bill ran around $150 a month.

I moved to Clayton, into a 2300 sq ft two story house and my electric bill is around $120.

Go figure.

Are you actually in the "city limits" and get a combined bill for water/sewer/trash & electric? If you are, you also pay a higher property tax rate.... go figure..

Old 05-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspan View Post
I don't mean to beat this thing to the ground but is this 'town of Clayton' bill inclusive of property taxes also? $300 would seem very high for water and trash removal only for a 42 day period. That's over $2,500 annually at that rate.
No that doesn't include property tax. City of Clayton purchases the electricty from Progress Energy and resells it as a co-op to those lucky enough to be bound within the city limits.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspan View Post
Tassy, I'm not sure what you are saying about the electric bills. Are they charging more per kilowatt or something in the more developed locals? I thought the rate was fixed based on your supplier? Perhaps their bills are higher because of larger dwellings than your own + the trash fees.?.

I would be interested to know if there's some general difference in electric rates. Thanks. It would seem very odd though.

The general difference is, if you live within the city limits, well.. just bend over and get out the KY.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:19 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
No that doesn't include property tax. City of Clayton purchases the electricty from Progress Energy and resells it as a co-op to those lucky enough to be bound within the city limits.
Clayton is a member of ElectriCities and that group had very serious debt problems that plague it yet today, I believe.

http://www.electricities.com/index.htm (broken link)

Old 05-14-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Clayton is a member of ElectriCities and that group had very serious debt problems that plague it yet today, I believe.

http://www.electricities.com/index.htm (broken link)
Thats what I'm sayin', someone who works for the town told us that no matter how much they seem to overcharge for the electric, the town of Clayton still can't seem to get out of that hole.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 AM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGlover View Post
I don't think I could have worded this any better myself!
Lochmere, Preston, Regency, just to name a few do look like the magazine and have been used for magazine covers. Obviously not much time was spent looking around Cary or these would have been seen.
Actually I live in a town like Cary. Everyone talks about how beautiful the homes are, how nice the area is and all that. So no I was not looking for Mayberry. But when people rant and rave about how gorgeous an area is and I drive through it and I see the ordinary development here and there, the rest is just average. Sorry Cary, you are not all that people crack you up to be. And yes I have to take short little trips, you see that is how us transplants have to do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary