Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,174 times

Advertisements

people tell me i'm white. i have black people that i like and black people i don't like. i also have white people and asian people and middle easterners and indian people that i like and don't like. i like all the hispanic people i know.

i'm aware of stereotypes for every person i know. sometimes people fit them, sometimes not. i dont think there's like race riots here, but there's not like a community policy of hugging and togetherness. what a weird question.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
This is what I have found: the more educated an area, the more people are accepting of each other. I'd say that since Raleigh IS a very educated area, having many universities, etc., that this is a more "accepting" area than some of the very small towns in NC. No, I am not referring to Holly Springs and small towns like that. However, if you go to a town like Selma, you may find things a bit different.

Vicki
Yup yup and multiple yups

Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
Everyone kind to each other there?
If this thread goes on for 8 or more pages you will get a feel for. You ask a good question that gets asked often. The responses are usually similar. Many will understand why you ask and you will get a few who wonder why it is important. That says a lot right there. It is a great area in many places and a hmmmm did I make a mistake in others. If you are thinking about relocating find a good real estate agent with a feel and sensitivity for and you will be in great shape.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:29 PM

393 posts, read 673,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
Everyone kind to each other there?
It really depends on the people. There is definitely a noticeable culture divide here. I often find AA are immediately drawn to each other, rather than toward whites. When hearing the conversations taking place between AA, there is sometimes an "us against them" tone but not in a hateful manner. It is more clique-ish than anything. Very rarely have I seen whites treated rudely, but often see them somewhat ignored or avoided. Some AA that I am friends with are convinced anything that goes wrong for them is because they were singled out for their skin color. I do hear that often from some, even though I have witnessed the facts to be the opposite of what they claimed. That may be a bigger social issue.

Having said that, there are more AA I am really fond of than whites. It's just the way it worked out. The female AA really treat me nice. They either like me or feel sorry for me. Either way, I appreciate their kindness. There isn't anyone I know that I dislike. It is just a matter of how much I like them. Like, really like or love.

Last edited by ApexIntruder; 10-31-2009 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 08:11 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,281 times
I can only speak (type) for myself and it's a complicated issue at best. Reflecting back on 60+ years I have a tremendous amount of respect in general for the AA population. To accomplish what they have done in the past 100 + years, in a mostly peaceful way, is incredible. For me I have been convinced by their accomplishments that given equal opportunity every human being can achieve their natural God given capabilities. Those capabilities are limited by the individual's genes not the race. I no longer feel that any person is superior or inferior because of race.
All that being said, I as a white male caucasian still sometimes find myself taking a step back with crimes like the Chapel Hill Eve Carson murder. Something like that will take its toll on me and I find myself questioning my thoughts about a whole race. However when a white caucasian commits an unspeakable crime I naturally look at that as an evil individual's act, not a reflection on our whole race.
This is a question for me that has no black and white answer (excuse the pun). Personally my thoughts about race relations are still evolving and probably will till I die. However I think the majority of both whites and blacks have done a great job accepting each other, especially over the past 40+ years.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM

11 posts, read 32,922 times
I find that there are better race relations here than where I lived in Georgia. My coworkers and I all get along and enjoy each other with no regard for race. Yes it is easier for white people to think ill of AA when most of what they see in the news portray AA in a negative light. If I saw on the news white men charged with raping children every day and eating people, I would be afraid. However, you will never see that kind of news every day. There are plenty of hard working law abiding AA in this country but you will hardly every see them portrayed on television as such.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:03 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,513 times
I grew up in a somewhat rural area of SC. Honestly, I wouldn't say that relations are better here, just different. I think that people here like to believe they're more enlightened. You won't see a lot of confederate flags on the lawns or cars. But it gets interesting if you scratch a little deeper. You can even see a lot of it here, if you look into peripheral issues. Check out some of the threads about Durham, or the busing issues in Wake county, or crime data, or local malls, or illegal immigrants etc. You'll find many logical, appropriate and completely valid posts for and against anything in that list, but you'll also see that many aren't as enlightened as they'd claim to be when asked outright.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 PM

28 posts, read 71,210 times
What a weird answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
people tell me i'm white. i have black people that i like and black people i don't like. i also have white people and asian people and middle easterners and indian people that i like and don't like. i like all the hispanic people i know.

i'm aware of stereotypes for every person i know. sometimes people fit them, sometimes not. i dont think there's like race riots here, but there's not like a community policy of hugging and togetherness. what a weird question.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 PM

28 posts, read 71,210 times
ApexIntruder,
Thanks for your response. I am wondering if there is alot of anger or prejudicesness towards Whites by African Americans? What about public schools where there is a mix of Blacks and Whites? Do the kids get along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
It really depends on the people. There is definitely a noticeable culture divide here. I often find AA are immediately drawn to each other, rather than toward whites. When hearing the conversations taking place between AA, there is sometimes an "us against them" tone but not in a hateful manner. It is more clique-ish than anything. Very rarely have I seen whites treated rudely, but often see them somewhat ignored or avoided. Some AA that I am friends with are convinced anything that goes wrong for them is because they were singled out for their skin color. I do hear that often from some, even though I have witnessed the facts to be the opposite of what they claimed. That may be a bigger social issue.

Having said that, there are more AA I am really fond of than whites. It's just the way it worked out. The female AA really treat me nice. They either like me or feel sorry for me. Either way, I appreciate their kindness. There isn't anyone I know that I dislike. It is just a matter of how much I like them. Like, really like or love.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
This is really a non-issue in most parts of the Triangle. Not to say there aren't individuals who express racism--covertly or overtly--but even then, most of it is benign enough to ignore and write off the person as "that's HIS problem". Durham, in particular, is an extremely racially-integrated area in most of the middle-class areas of the city.

But I agree with the "educated = generally non-racist" comment above, and we've consistently placed among the more educated metros in the country.

What would cause you to ask such a question, anyway? Don't go looking for what's not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary