Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:32 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,163,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerzmom View Post
Strange request perhaps, but I'm looking for a "crunchy" family
crunchy families are delicious. especially with some honey mustard. mmm-mm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:23 AM

455 posts, read 1,119,633 times
Not everything has unequivocal evidence based study to support or disprove all circumstances. On the other end, there are so many publications, you can usually find conflicting recommendations in literature. Doctors are allowed to think/decide on the best practice for each issue, based on their experience and allowed to prescribe for unlabeled indications. Without this ability, we could just go to a machine to tell us what to do.

It seems that you know some of the problems that healthcare faces. Doctors get tons ($billions$) of perks from pharmaceutical companies that may bias their practice, but it may not mean it is wrong (other than increasing the price of medicine to offset marketing/advertising costs).

The current administration is trying to curtail some of these questionable practices, but the medical associations are a very powerful lobbying force. Doctors make many of the highest paying salaries in the US, therefore able to spend more on campaining for the best of their profession. These companies are smart and start to inudate med students while in school, so they think it is standard practice to get their a$$e$ kissed from the get-go. But hey, why does it matter if a doctor can choose between 6 drugs in the same class? Not many doctors know the retail price of all these medications, nor will they know what your specific insurance formulary will cover. They truely have other things to worry about. Now, here comes a charasmatic/cute pharm rep. who is recommending his/her company drug...guess what your getting, hopefully with some samples too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Yes, I know how doctors are trained. But you would be surprised by how many doctors don't use evidence based practices -- especially when it comes to things like breastfeeding, circumcision, and vaccines. Sometimes they are influenced by their own personal experience or their spouse's. And those sales reps from the formula and pharma companies are an influence. They have provided pediatricians a year's worth of formula for free for their own children. And they have paid for holiday parties at hospitals. It's a bad influence and a conflict of interest. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that since Dr Young is my primary and Dr Ramsdell is my childrens' pediatrician.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 AM

39 posts, read 106,285 times
oh, man! now I have to totally stop using 'crunchy' to describe a negative attitude/behavior/dialog/working environment! puh!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 17,921 times
define crunchy

Old 11-13-2009, 10:26 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,271,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hawkins View Post
define crunchy
There is a link several posts back.

If you want to see it, I would suggest spending a day in Carrboro. Eat breakfast at Weaver Street Market, have lunch at Spotted Dog, have coffee at Open Eye, spend the time in between on Weaver Street lawn or walking/bicycling through the older neighborhoods close to downtown.

Talk to men with weird hats and too much facial hair or women with dresses from 35+ years ago. Gravitate to anywhere you smell someone smoking pot (not hard to find most days).

Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 AM

455 posts, read 1,119,633 times
Two places in NC that I would call crunchy: Carrboro & Asheville. Ironically, very expensive places to live in.

I've been told that I'm a SCUPPIE, socially conscious YUPPIE, for at least a couple more years before I have a mid-age crisis and get a Corvette or something phallic.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,271,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Ironically, very expensive places to live in.
Actually, not that ironic, as only the well off have time for such silly lifestyles... And I'm speaking as a Carrboro resident who loves his town

Old 11-13-2009, 11:13 AM

1,683 posts, read 3,453,020 times
Silly lifestyle?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,029,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerzmom View Post
What I meant by it was a doctor that was knowledgable about medical issues outside of the mainstream: breastfeeding issues, delayed vaccine schedules, etc. and also one who would not treat patients differently because of atypical parenting choices.
So breastfeeding is considered by you to be outside mainstream ?? It's not 1940 !!
I hardly know anyone that didn't breasfeed..

Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,878,555 times
[quote=PharmboyinNC;11435429]Not everything has unequivocal evidence based study to support or disprove all circumstances. On the other end, there are so many publications, you can usually find conflicting recommendations in literature. Doctors are allowed to think/decide on the best practice for each issue, based on their experience and allowed to prescribe for unlabeled indications. Without this ability, we could just go to a machine to tell us what to do.

It won't be long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary